Squad for next Season - Page 139 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

Can't think of a more competitive season for it. For me it's Oakley for consistency, Baird not far behind, but you could give it to any one of six or seven guys and I'd think they deserved it. 

• Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

58 minutes ago, Alibi said:

We now have a team where there are no passengers. Every player is contributing. The reason PotY is so competitive this season is because we have a team, not 11 players with a couple of them better than the others. We’re in a position where we generally don’t have subs who weaken the team when they come on. What a job Imrie has done. Next thing is to get extended contracts for next season, and really go for the title.

As we don't actually know what division we'll be in next season, handing out new contracts for all but our most important and prime age players would be unwise from a club perspective. We could go up in the play-offs and regret not giving ourselves more room to meet that higher challenge. 

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

35 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

As we don't actually know what division we'll be in next season, handing out new contracts for all but our most important and prime age players would be unwise from a club perspective. We could go up in the play-offs and regret not giving ourselves more room to meet that higher challenge. 

I would like to see us make moves to extend Oakley, Crawford, Muirhead, Blues, O’Conner & Strapp as soon as possible as I would see them as being important players for us regardless of which division we are in next season.  If fit I would include Jai in that but the jury is still out on him as we can’t be using up a wage on someone who is only available half of the time. 

Unfortunately I expect most of the above will likely want to wait and see where we end up before they make a decision - at least 3 of them have definitely done enough to earn another crack at the top flight and I expect will probably have offers on the table come the summer.

1 hour ago, LargsTON said:

With regards to Jai I noticed on Saturday that he's lost half a yard of pace.   Hopefully it's just lack of match fitness.

I still don't think he's fully match fit either, but on Saturday you could see he was getting there. He did show a very decent burst of pace in the excellent build-up play and cross for the first goal.

1 hour ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

I still don't think he's fully match fit either, but on Saturday you could see he was getting there. He did show a very decent burst of pace in the excellent build-up play and cross for the first goal.

Maybe his best game this season? I wonder if he's worth keeping even for 60 minutes if we don't go up. His pace and strength is ridiculous at this level. I just wish he spent more time practicing technique. Great cross fit for George on Saturday but he lacks finesse - he has always been like that to be fair, his goal compilation in YouTube has some corkers.

• Like 1

Andy Millens boy told her can leave raith in summer after falling out with manager. Wonder if we will see him as our new rightback next season. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

12 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Andy Millens boy told her can leave raith in summer after falling out with manager. Wonder if we will see him as our new rightback next season. 

I've always liked him. He's a good player and a bit of a dick. Get him signed.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

52 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

I've always liked him. He's a good player and a bit of a dick. Get him signed.

I’ve always thought he was hopeless and done very well to keep getting clubs at our level. 

Aye Millens boy would be a good shout decent right back and experienced at this level. 

In regards to Quitongo personally I wouldn't be extending his contract. He has barely played the past few seasons due to injury and even though it was a good ball on Saturday more often than not he makes the wrong choice, yes pace and power he ticks the boxes but end product isn't there for me. 

35 minutes ago, RossMcC1874 said:

Aye Millens boy would be a good shout decent right back and experienced at this level. 

In regards to Quitongo personally I wouldn't be extending his contract. He has barely played the past few seasons due to injury and even though it was a good ball on Saturday more often than not he makes the wrong choice, yes pace and power he ticks the boxes but end product isn't there for me. 

He played 32 games last season and had 3 sending offs so had to serve a number of suspensions. His fitness was good last season apart from the month of March.

This season must be frustrating for him. He will need a really good run of games from now until the end of the season or I can't see Dougie keeping him. 

3 hours ago, RossMcC1874 said:

Last season Jai wasn't far off an ever present.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

22 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Fair point, but I’m not suggesting extending contracts en masse without looking at options. There are players in our squad whose contracts we would all like to see extended and who would be fine at a higher level as our demolition of Motherwell showed. There may be a few where we could get a better option (always the case subject to cost) but were we suddenly to find ourselves in the top tier, there are very few in the current squad that we would say are just not good enough. For example Boyd, now departed as clearly not good enough even for this level.  Broadfoot and Power might be considered too old next season although Power seems to have a new lease of life after a slow start. Extensions for Oakley, Crawford, etc. are no brainers whether for a title bid or for the top tier. Dougie will know what he needs for either challenge. For the first time in as long as I can remember, our current squad looks like a very solid base on which to build for the future.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

52 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Fair point, but I’m not suggesting extending contracts en masse without looking at options. 

Well you actually did by stating that the next thing to do was to extend player contracts, not 'looking at our options and then deciding on selected contract extensions' instead.

• Downvote 3

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

6 minutes ago, Alibi said:

FFS you really are hard work.  I would like to see contract extensions announced for several players, principally Oakley and Crawford but not necessarily limited to them.  I don't actually know when some of the players' current contracts expire, but those that expire this summer obviously would take priority over those who are already signed up until 2025.  What I don't want to see is the end of the season arriving and we have to start building a squad from scratch again.  It's called forward planning.  At the very worst, we will be in the championship next season, and there is a chance we could be in the top tier.  We know enough at this stage to plan ahead even if there is a degree of uncertainty.

We already have a significant number of players contracted until 2025. Oakley and Crawford to be re-signed, sure, if we can, but who else simply must be tied down right now? What you're railing against is a straw man outcome that we won't be facing, short of an unforseen financial implosion. 

There is a huge difference between being a good player to retain at second tier football next season, and a good player to have in the top flight. There is also a budget to spend and no point in building a bloated squad where players won't be getting game time because we made sentimental decisions in March that we regret by November. 

Edited by vikingTON

It seems obvious that we should be prioritising the resigning now of those players who could potentially make the step-up to Premiership level and whose contracts expire in the summer. This would either improve our chances of survival if we do get promoted, or strengthen our promotion challenge next season. On the face of it, it's a no-brainer.

In reality though, actually achieving that's going to be extremely difficult if not impossible. If we were to offer new contracts now it would obviously have to be on our Championship level budget. But why would they sign a Championship budget contract with us now if there's a possibility of getting a better contract offer in the summer, either from us if we do win promotion and increase our budget accordingly, or from another club with a bigger budget?  No harm in trying I suppose, but I would be very pleasantly surprised of any of the guys mentioned above resign for us before the end of the season. 

On 2/27/2024 at 2:43 PM, Cet Homme Charmant said:

It seems obvious that we should be prioritising the resigning now of those players who could potentially make the step-up to Premiership level and whose contracts expire in the summer. This would either improve our chances of survival if we do get promoted, or strengthen our promotion challenge next season. On the face of it, it's a no-brainer.

In reality though, actually achieving that's going to be extremely difficult if not impossible. If we were to offer new contracts now it would obviously have to be on our Championship level budget. But why would they sign a Championship budget contract with us now if there's a possibility of getting a better contract offer in the summer, either from us if we do win promotion and increase our budget accordingly, or from another club with a bigger budget?  No harm in trying I suppose, but I would be very pleasantly surprised of any of the guys mentioned above resign for us before the end of the season. 

You could offer a new contract with a clause saying the player gets a wage increase should we get promoted.

I don't blame a single player for holding out until the Summer. If Oakley and Strapp continue the form they have shown, there's going to be much bigger clubs than us interested in them and will most likely leave. ( nuts to think Strapp still hasn't lost a game since his return)

Oakley has had so much good press recently, most managers outside the top 4 or 5 will be looking at him as a potential option for next year.

Crawford, Blues, Muirhead not quite in the Oakley/Strapp bracket of interest but makes sense for them to keep their options open.