Squad for next Season - Page 101 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

13 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

I’m not sure we’re being patient and playing a waiting game if we’re signing the likes of Broadfoot and Boyd now, which must in some way restrict who we could afford later.

All I’m saying is that if we had blown our full budget before the start of last season, we wouldn’t have been able to bring in guys like Crawford, Grimshaw & eventually Oakley - all of whom undoubtedly strengthened us.  

That being said, clearly we need to at least have enough of a squad signed to field a team & subs at the start of the season so at this stage I’m ok with him bringing in guys who will are good enough to be squad players but keeping some budget aside so that if/when the opportunity arises we can make a couple of quality additions (for example last season we started with Pignatello as first choice RB)

20 minutes ago, Greacen2000 said:

All I’m saying is that if we had blown our full budget before the start of last season, we wouldn’t have been able to bring in guys like Crawford, Grimshaw & eventually Oakley - all of whom undoubtedly strengthened us.  

That being said, clearly we need to at least have enough of a squad signed to field a team & subs at the start of the season so at this stage I’m ok with him bringing in guys who will are good enough to be squad players but keeping some budget aside so that if/when the opportunity arises we can make a couple of quality additions (for example last season we started with Pignatello as first choice RB)

Okay fair comment!

Not seen much of the lad but cannot help but feel disappointed as he offered the one bit of class on Saturday to follow up his Alloa cameo. When you think of the players we already have in midfield Deane appeared to offer something different and no way would he have been an expensive signing. Last season we were never that creative hence struggled to break down teams so you just have to hope Dougie has an upgrade in mind. 

Edited by HamCam
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Boogs49 said:

May be an image of 1 person and text that says "Christopher Dodds @chrissyd... ·11m Understand that Morton won't be pursuing a deal with Frankie Deane. Showed up well in appearances against Alloa and St. Mirren but now looks for other opportunities back down south. A shame IMO, for what it's worth. More in tomorrow's @greenocktele 5 173 11 山 455"

Going to forgo the almost mandatory 'in Dougie we trust' and say that I think this is a poor decision. Hopefully there are better options to come in but he is a great age and looked really talented whilst being different to what we have.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HamCam said:

Not seen much of the lad but cannot help but feel disappointed as he offered the one bit of class on Saturday to follow up his Alloa cameo. When you think of the players we already have in midfield Deane appeared to offer something different and no way would he have been an expensive signing. Last season we were never that creative hence struggled to break down teams so you just have to hope Dougie has an upgrade in mind. 

Wondering if the 2 trialists Dougie has in this week has influenced this decision?

The boy is a player but would he challenge blues, Gillespie and Crawford for a starting slot? I'm not sure.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Quite surprised we wouldn't even give him a short term deal until January or something to see how he gets on. 

There is clearly talent there and I can't imagine he would be on a massive wage being so young there is good competition in midfield but felt he could have added somrthing different. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mr.Blue said:

Wondering if the 2 trialists Dougie has in this week has influenced this decision?

The boy is a player but would he challenge blues, Gillespie and Crawford for a starting slot? I'm not sure.

I just thought he was more of a passing footballer/baller than what we currently have. If we are looking to break down a team or chase a game Deane looked like a good option while Blues, Gillespie and Crawford are grafters. Appears size and the boys lack of Championship experience counted against him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, HamCam said:

I just thought he was more of a passing footballer/baller than what we currently have. If we are looking to break down a team or chase a game Deane looked like a good option while Blues, Gillespie and Crawford are grafters. Appears size and the boys lack of Championship experience counted against him. 

He does offer something different. Very much in the tidser mould. Perhaps Dougie wants another hardworking midfielder in rather than a ball playing midfielder although I do think Deane would have been a good alternative to Gillespie who he's very similar to but more mobile.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

I was impressed in the games that I watched him play in.  Assuming he would have been  available on development squad level wages then this seems like a strange decision.  If he was looking for more then I can understand Dougie wanting to save the money and look elsewhere.  Good as he looked, the lads only 18 and realistically wouldn’t be a regular starter so got to value him based on his place in our overall squad 

Think we've missed one here. A young guy who you could give a years contract with an option to extend it for another year incase he turns into the next Kevin De Bruyne. 

A player who may not be physically imposing or do loads of running but offers that creative spark we miss from our current midfield. Personally thought Gillespie was well off the mark on Saturday (and furthermore, since returning to the side mid season). Especially when it seemed Blues maybe had around 10 touches over the 90. 

With Blues I understand people see something in him, and so do management clearly. What that actually is, I have no idea. One thing I do rate about Blues is his forward movement, getting into the box late. It's a shame his finishing isn't great though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, HamCam said:

I agree and was looking for news today we had signed him.

Dougie has obviously (IMHO) come to the decision he's too lightweight for this league.I dont believe for a second he doesnt see and realise the lads ability...but there we are. I would love to ask Dougie..."Would you sign Billy Gilmour?"

7 minutes ago, Drew Busby's Moustache said:

I agree and was looking for news today we had signed him.

Dougie has obviously (IMHO) come to the decision he's too lightweight for this league.I dont believe for a second he doesnt see and realise the lads ability...but there we are. I would love to ask Dougie..."Would you sign Billy Gilmour?"

Dougie ain't much taller than young Frankie, and he had an alright career.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

Impressed by trialists in this week or not. He saw Deane on Saturday. In my book (okay..I know he's lightweight) he deserves a season here.

5 hours ago, ChampTon said:

Think we've missed one here. A young guy who you could give a years contract with an option to extend it for another year incase he turns into the next Kevin De Bruyne. 

A player who may not be physically imposing or do loads of running but offers that creative spark we miss from our current midfield. Personally thought Gillespie was well off the mark on Saturday (and furthermore, since returning to the side mid season). Especially when it seemed Blues maybe had around 10 touches over the 90. 

With Blues I understand people see something in him, and so do management clearly. What that actually is, I have no idea. One thing I do rate about Blues is his forward movement, getting into the box late. It's a shame his finishing isn't great though.

I know......its got all the hallmarks of a " Decca knocks back The Beatles" story.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, ChampTon said:

How long do we have to wait for Blues to perform like Frankie Deane!

I'm seriously bothered about this.

I'll hazard a guess that the Tik-tok-er guy isn't getting signed either.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.