Commercial Activity - Page 100 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Commercial Activity

Jamie_M

On 3/14/2024 at 8:21 PM, TONofmemories said:

Anything said of proper note? A wee bone thrown perhaps RE contract?

Is he teaching religion to Catholic weans?

You do realise you've caused a few folk to have veins in their necks explode with that comment.  :lol:

*insert signature here*

14 hours ago, Deego said:

It could be. Might be.

Might also be a way to:

- answer common themes of questions

- keep a nice running order of those themes (rather than bouncing around subjects)

- keep the session timely while getting through all the questions

- allow the panel to construct their answers properly (hopefully not in a politician-type way, but answering questions properly without the pressure of thinking off the top of their head in front of a live crowd)

- avoid the inevitable, awkward scenario of people not being particularly articulate with their questions

There’s pros to opening it up for questions on the night as well but given the above I’m not being totally cynical about their decision.

Tam Cowan asked for any questions last week even though loads had been emailed in.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

First and foremost, the transparency here is excellent. You'll not get anything like that from another Championship club.

The headline figure that we're heading for around a £200K profit this season even if we finish 8th is great news. Obviously we're not going to get Celtic or Rangers away every season, but it seems like we're moving into a more stable position with every year and the profit from this season can be used to increase the first team budget for next season, even with some of it being held back to keep us on an even keel in the event cup runs and/or a higher league position than budgeted don't materialise.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Wasnt sure whether to outbtis in the MCT thread or here. Positives that we made a profit last season and look to be doing so again this season. Budgeting for an 8th placed finish will obviously have an impact on the figures given where we finished last season and hopefully this season! I'd love to see the budgets for each team in our league. Michael says that we're punching above our weight which I don't dispute but the numbers would give us context.

He's also been quite honest in that the fanzone hasn't moves on as quickly as the club had planned - hopefully see progress with staff coming into the club. What he said about attendances is disappointing. Would love a magic wand to keep even 10% of that home crowd from the cup games.

5 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

First and foremost, the transparency here is excellent. You'll not get anything like that from another Championship club.

The headline figure that we're heading for around a £200K profit this season even if we finish 8th is great news. Obviously we're not going to get Celtic or Rangers away every season, but it seems like we're moving into a more stable position with every year and the profit from this season can be used to increase the first team budget for next season, even with some of it being held back to keep us on an even keel in the event cup runs and/or a higher league position than budgeted don't materialise.

Totally agree. Really refreshing to have an update of that depth. 

I do wonder what the future holds for the ground. I know it's a struggle to get the safety certificate every year. Something will eventually have to give. Great to hear we have support from local business people such as dalrada, hungry squirrel and fanbase who have an interest in the club and the community. In a really tough financial climate that has to be appreciated.

34 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Totally agree. Really refreshing to have an update of that depth. 

I do wonder what the future holds for the ground. I know it's a struggle to get the safety certificate every year. Something will eventually have to give. Great to hear we have support from local business people such as dalrada, hungry squirrel and fanbase who have an interest in the club and the community. In a really tough financial climate that has to be appreciated.

Yeah, the comment about Cappielow rang alarm bells for me too. It's clear that giving the old place a lick of paint every couple of years is not going to be sustainable for much longer, and at some point in the not-too-distant future it's going to need significant investment for upgrades. It's hard to see right now where the money for that is going to come from. 

Edited by Cet Homme Charmant

We should be dropping tickets in every school in the town, get the players in. Get the parents to take them along, even if another 500 people are getting in for free but spending money on food etc, it'll add up. It's a small but feasible solution and a way to try and bring in the next generation.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TONofmemories said:

What are we/have we done about trying to get an extra 550 people other than offer a small match package for remaining home games. There needs to be more grass routes work done on that front IMO

Any suggestions? I've said in the past that we could offer say 10 adult and 10 child tickets to every primary school in Inverclyde. Say there's approx 15 primary schools in the area that's 300 tickets that we could be making money from in merchandise, programmes, 50/50s and food. If the kids enjoy it they come back the next week and perhaps regular visitors.

53 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

None in particular other than what's been mentioned but I guess there's a fine line between being a business and a charity case. 

For a while under HS we were a basket case. Current governance has to some degree got lucky with the cup draws and support of main sponsors but nonetheless they deserve huge credit when you understand the shambles they inherited.

Re the support.... From what I've seen or heard there has been little movement to try to encourage youngsters and parents along. 

I'm well aware tickets for youngsters are @ nominal prices but that on its own is clearly not swelling the crowds on its own.

As has been said we need to get more involved in schools. Back in my day even the likes of Martin Doak, John McNeil and Jim Holmes would even turn up to Cubs and Boys brigade events and they weren't even full time!!

Reaching out to local boys clubs who obviously have an interest in the game is a no brainer as they would provide coaches to watch the youngsters and it would be highly likely to add some parents through the turnstiles.

We have "a good bunch of lads" who were not utilising enough if @ all in the future support. How often is there a first team player or 2 showing up at youngsters prize giving events/sports days nowadays? First team football doesn't end when you walk off the training pitch imho.

I've been beating this drum for a number of years and have seen many other comments along similar lines. Hopefully this time next season we'll see some of this come to fruition 🤞

4 minutes ago, Nornirontons said:

Re the support.... From what I've seen or heard there has been little movement to try to encourage youngsters and parents along. 

I'm well aware tickets for youngsters are @ nominal prices but that on its own is clearly not swelling the crowds on its own.

As has been said we need to get more involved in schools. Back in my day even the likes of Martin Doak, John McNeil and Jim Holmes would even turn up to Cubs and Boys brigade events and they weren't even full time!!

Reaching out to local boys clubs who obviously have an interest in the game is a no brainer as they would provide coaches to watch the youngsters and it would be highly likely to add some parents through the turnstiles.

We have "a good bunch of lads" who were not utilising enough if @ all in the future support. How often is there a first team player or 2 showing up at youngsters prize giving events/sports days nowadays? First team football doesn't end when you walk off the training pitch imho.

I've been beating this drum for a number of years and have seen many other comments along similar lines. Hopefully this time next season we'll see some of this come to fruition 🤞

How do you know the first team players haven't been at those events? 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

2 hours ago, Nornirontons said:

MITC engage with over 500 kids through their football teams, community sessions and holiday camps. Seems like the club and the community could be missing a trick there.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, ChampTon said:

We should be dropping tickets in every school in the town, get the players in. Get the parents to take them along, even if another 500 people are getting in for free but spending money on food etc, it'll add up. It's a small but feasible solution and a way to try and bring in the next generation.

Unless it has changed recently (and we haven't heard that it has) it doesn't matter how many extra people turn up, we wouldn't make any extra from food sales.

11 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

Any suggestions? I've said in the past that we could offer say 10 adult and 10 child tickets to every primary school in Inverclyde. Say there's approx 15 primary schools in the area that's 300 tickets that we could be making money from in merchandise, programmes, 50/50s and food. If the kids enjoy it they come back the next week and perhaps regular visitors.

We could maybe do something like bringing back the unemployed discounts. Lots of people in that position in the area and better getting some more than mine. 

7 hours ago, irnbru said:

We could maybe do something like bringing back the unemployed discounts. Lots of people in that position in the area and better getting some more than mine. 

It was abused far too much.  Isn't that why it was done away with?  I've started taking my 10 year old with me and I think £5 for her is excellent value although she was free earlier in the season.  When did it change?

Edited by LargsTON

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

2 hours ago, LargsTON said:

It was abused far too much.  Isn't that why it was done away with?  I've started taking my 10 year old with me and I think £5 for her is excellent value although she was free earlier in the season.  When did it change?

Think it was on Iron Man's watch - that and Student discount was withdrawn basically saying everyone claiming it was stealing their rightful money.

Tightening concessions rather than removing  is a valid alternative.

10 hours ago, irnbru said:

Something similar was suggested, Dale pointed out that if the club offers discounts then the same deal HAS (by law) to be offered to all supporters, home and away throughout the season.

As he said, if they do that then the club would be basically giving money away.

The question of stewarding also came up. Dale said that he and the head of the stewarding company had, what he described as a "tense" meeting on Tuesday and several issues had been raised.

He confirmed that things, which had previously gone on, would no longer be going on. He didn't elaborate on what these things are or were. Though, I'd imagine that the issue of people being denied entry if they turned up late would be one of them.

He also acknowledged that if someone was approached aggressively then they themselves would become aggressive in return. 

The club have purchased a 2 bedroom flat in Dunlop St for the use of players on the basis that a new signing can be offered accommodation as part of their contract (Jordan Davis springs to mind). This means the flat is a club owned asset and there are no outgoing such as rent etc.

All in all I thought it was a fairly positive meeting, and to boot I learned a new word.....Organigram.😂