Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 60 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/sean-mcginty-joins-david-hopkins-24197737

The 27-year-old told the Ayrshire Post: "I really enjoyed playing under him [Hopkin] at Morton and we enjoyed good success during his time there.

"I enjoy the way he builds his team and we had a really good relationship so I can't wait to work with him again.

"I had other options on the table and turned down a very good offer to stay at Morton"

wat

Who's offering players like McGinty a very good offer to stay? Does that mean Gus is remaining or someone else has just decided to offer contracts? Either way it's a bad sign if McGinty was offered something, other than a taxi fare to another club. 

I've felt all week a bit like I won't complain too much if Gus is given the job, but I must admit I don't want it. 

1 hour ago, Hej said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/sean-mcginty-joins-david-hopkins-24197737

The 27-year-old told the Ayrshire Post: "I really enjoyed playing under him [Hopkin] at Morton and we enjoyed good success during his time there.

"I enjoy the way he builds his team and we had a really good relationship so I can't wait to work with him again.

"I had other options on the table and turned down a very good offer to stay at Morton"

wat

Confirmation that tomorrow is going to be a pile of pish then as they announce Gus is staying and that they have resigned a bunch of the losers that nearly got us relegated...

One of the key points from MCT’s Business Plan, which kicks in on Tuesday, is to prioritise quality over quantity in the playing staff. A commitment to Youth Development will hopefully supplement the smaller squad, sooner rather than later.

This is probably the intended plan for the majority of clubs in the SPFL, however I can’t help thinking it’s a direct lesson learned from Hopkin’s tenure, and as such I’m hopeful we’ll adhere to the plan. This should also have a bearing on MCT’s choice of our new Manager.

1 hour ago, Hej said:

When the fuck was this? Was I in a coma for a massive period of Hopkin’s tenure and nobody’s informed me of this?

46 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Who's offering players like McGinty a very good offer to stay?

I'm not sure that I'd believe what he says. Sounds like he's just pretending he's in demand.

The thing is we actually did have a good defensive record. Third-least goals conceded in the 27-game season, and considerably less than Dundee and four fewer than Ayr. And while I haven't checked, I believe that most of our clean sheets coincided with Fjortoft playing (and, by necessity, with ever-present McGinty playing.) So when Hopkin says in that article that with both these guys playing, Morton had one of the best defensive records in the league, he's absolutely correct.

The part he doesn't acknowledge is that when we did concede it was fairly often down to McGinty's complete inability to defend.

EOho8Pw.png

Great to see the back of McGinty he was a complete nightmare every time I watched him on TonTV... bit sorry to lose big Fjortoft apart from full-time football why would he go play for a manager who hardly started him... and as for Salkeild good luck to him he was without doubt a hard worker with little skill.... long may Hopkins continue to take the dross he brought to Morton back to Ayr.

9 hours ago, Deego said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/markus-fjortoft-knew-join-ayr-24200059

Fjortoft claiming we wouldn’t have struggled if ‘Hoppy’ stayed.

If I remember correctly our main problem was we couldn't create enough or score. You may have missed that Markus while 'Hoppy' had you polishing a bench.

12 hours ago, DreamOakTree said:

One of the key points from MCT’s Business Plan, which kicks in on Tuesday, is to prioritise quality over quantity in the playing staff. A commitment to Youth Development will hopefully supplement the smaller squad, sooner rather than later.

This is probably the intended plan for the majority of clubs in the SPFL, however I can’t help thinking it’s a direct lesson learned from Hopkin’s tenure, and as such I’m hopeful we’ll adhere to the plan. This should also have a bearing on MCT’s choice of our new Manager.

If it's going to be a genuine key point of the strategy going forward then they're going to have to take transfer control out of the hands of a 'first team coach' and give it to someone directly responsible to the board for meeting those objectives. What else is there to stop a Hopkin mk. II assembling a job lot of ringers instead? MCT board members swanning into the dressing room like Dougie to tell everyone what to do is not going to cut it. 

I very much doubt that any substantial change like this will happen and so no lessons will in fact be learned at all. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Should be waking up with a wee buzz of excitement about the possible announcements today but you just know they're about to tell us they went 'fuck it, just give it to Gus' and that they are resigning a bunch of the team that nearly took us down.

Be quick with the disappointment please Morton, don't keep us waiting.

Archived