Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 56 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, TaunTon said:

Duffy chucks it at Dumbarton.

With Brechin having dropped out the leagues Duffy probably feels there are no other teams worthy of talking up as potential Champion League winners.

I mean I'm not sure what the complaint here is, other than the fact that he's King Monster Munch. He obviously has good contacts in the game, he started off at a low level and worked his way up, he got his team into the SPFL - yes, they have an excellent budget for that level but so do some other sides... not that I think he'd take the Morton job if the likes of Dunfermline came calling but why's he such an outlandish choice?

EOho8Pw.png

Peter Grant anyone? I know he's just left Alloa and looking for a new job.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

1 hour ago, TRVMP said:

I can think of far worse appointments. 

Harvey Weinstein? Josef Fritzl? Ray McKinnon? 

13 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Peter Grant anyone? I know he's just left Alloa and looking for a new job.

He can keep fucking looking.

Any manager who contrived to finish a roomy 7 points behind a team without any forwards is barred from the list.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

23 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Harvey Weinstein? Josef Fritzl? Ray McKinnon? 

A good 50% of the guys on the merry-go-round. I thought you were all in favor of big names proving themselves at a lower level (e.g. Peter Weatherson with Shettleston.)

EOho8Pw.png

13 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

A good 50% of the guys on the merry-go-round. I thought you were all in favor of big names proving themselves at a lower level (e.g. Peter Weatherson with Shettleston.)

Barry Ferguson proved that he was an abject failure at Clyde and scraping promotion with K£lty does not undo this. If he were Dunga McClung instead of 'Barry' with a journalist ghost-writer parsing his grunts into a weekly newspaper column then he wouldn't be in the frame for any job higher up the food chain.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

It's certainly true that Kelty had the biggest budget in the LL. I don't think it's true that they scraped promotion. And my saying that half the guys on the merry-go-round would be worse is not the same as saying that Ferguson would be an amazing appointment.

If guys like Stevie Crawford and Ray McKinnon and David Hopkin and Robbie Neilson and Neil McCann keep getting jobs at this level, I don't see what makes Ferguson so woefully underqualified. He certainly shouldn't be considered a favorite, but is it that outlandish that a guy with a few years of lower-league experience under his belt, and now a playoff win, get a shot? I don't think it is.

EOho8Pw.png

5 minutes ago, so72 said:

Ferguson always sounds like a fud when he's on the radio or Open Goal. Doesn't seem to have a very modern outlook on the game. 

I couldn’t disagree more. I always find he and his brother quite likeable and more informed than many pundits. Often I think he’s tarred by some of his behaviour in his playing days, such as the Bothwell Bridge incident when he was a young, immature boy, and the two finger incident at Hampden which was manipulated by the press into he and McGregor having a go at the fans when in fact they were having a go at the press who had slaughtered them.

I get that being an ex-Rangers man he’ll not get much sympathy from most who don’t support them, but you can hardly categorise him with the likes of Ian Durrant, Kris Boyd and Alex Rae. He’s a lot more balanced and a lot less partisan in his analysis.

That’s not to say I’d necessarily like to see him in the Morton dugout, but I’m very much in Nach0’s camp when it comes to Ferguson. Think some folk could do with taking a step back when forming their views on him.

22 minutes ago, so72 said:

Ferguson always sounds like a fud when he's on the radio or Open Goal. Doesn't seem to have a very modern outlook on the game. 

I always find what he has to say quite interesting to be honest, likewise with his brother as Toby says.

He didn’t do a great job at Clyde, although he’s openly talked about what he’s learned from his mistakes there, and I think it’s right to still have a bit of a question mark over him given the supposed Kelty budget.

I’m honestly not arsed who gets the job for next season though because fuck knows how any manager will do in any job, generally speaking (some Mark Wilson types discounted).

Archived