Partick Thistle v Morton (proverbial 6 pointer) - Page 7 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Partick Thistle v Morton (proverbial 6 pointer)

gmfc23

Anyone else considering pulling their MCT subscription?

Yes. We have a representative on the board who is only there because we who have signed up are paying in money. I think it reasonable to ask our proxy rep to ask some difficult questions of Hopkin. If he does not do so, he should step down from the board and allow someone else who will to fill the board position. I for one am not prepared to put in money every month to pay for a boardroom Yes man. Yes to Indy fine; yes to Hopkin, no.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why bother anymore?

Morton are absolute poison all the way throughout. Absolute perma-diddies

At the start of the season I thought the whole "we're building a club, not just a team" thing was a good idea. Now I'm wondering where it all went wrong. The manager shouldn't be talking about the players this way when he's set them up badly for weeks, for example. Let the finger-pointing begin!

EOho8Pw.png

I was far from impressed by the MCT guy drinking all the Kool Aid regarding the great managerial genius of ‘Hoppy’ and our Braeside La Masia churning out superstars when he first popped up from nowhere in the summer: that gullibility certainly has to be dispelled and fast. But there are two flaws with the understandable frustrations cited above:

i) collective accountability

Simply having a seat on the club board doesn’t mean that you can reliably speak truth to power, never mind host an inquisition of a gubbins manager. The board members who hold real power will ultimately call the shots, and the rest are ultimately obliged to defend whatever stance they make as a collective body. The choice of supporter representative is still important for providing any form of scrutiny at all - a choice that should up for a vote by the membership - but to think that they can personally change club policy or empty a manager without a controlling stake in the club is delusional.

ii) It’s self-defeating

The only prospect of ever ending this parade of shambolic failure is to prise the club out of the hands of its increasingly absentee owners and moving it on to a viable alternative. While far from being perfect, the MCT scheme provides a means of i) securing a credible shareholding in the club for a fan organisation and ii) eliminating the massive debt that GC have shamelessly chucked onto the club’s accounts. So to pull the rug under MCT by withholding payments five months in because the first team is gash will only push the club fully into the arms of the chinless wonders at GC again, or whoever they flog the club to without consultation with the fanbase.

The aim here should be to build on MCT by emptying any sycophants to the current hierarchy within its leadership and consistently securing a bigger and bigger stake in the club through fan investment. If you want to withdraw some support because you’re scunnered with this current garbage, then you should chuck home games if you weren’t suckered into their pathetically discounted season ticket swindle. Losing gate income and abysmal attendances are quite simply the most direct form of pressure on the club and manager; whereas neither Crawford Rae nor Hopkin will be losing any sleep if the direct debits aren’t coming through at some third party backer.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Agree with VT. The MCT never pretended to be anything but a way of augmenting the playing budget and lowering the debt, while also giving the fans a stake in the club. Part of having a stake in the club is taking some responsibility for the way it's going. Simply withdrawing financial support unless Hoppy learns what a goalkeeper is, is not a proportional response. If you hold the Raes largely responsible, on the other hand, the best thing to do is hit them where it hurts and not MCT.

EOho8Pw.png

I was far from impressed by the MCT guy drinking all the Kool Aid regarding the great managerial genius of ‘Hoppy’ and our Braeside La Masia churning out superstars when he first popped up from nowhere in the summer: that gullibility certainly has to be dispelled and fast. But there are two flaws with the understandable frustrations cited above:

i) collective accountability

Simply having a seat on the club board doesn’t mean that you can reliably speak truth to power, never mind host an inquisition of a gubbins manager. The board members who hold real power will ultimately call the shots, and the rest are ultimately obliged to defend whatever stance they make as a collective body. The choice of supporter representative is still important for providing any form of scrutiny at all - a choice that should up for a vote by the membership - but to think that they can personally change club policy or empty a manager without a controlling stake in the club is delusional.

ii) It’s self-defeating

The only prospect of ever ending this parade of shambolic failure is to prise the club out of the hands of its increasingly absentee owners and moving it on to a viable alternative. While far from being perfect, the MCT scheme provides a means of i) securing a credible shareholding in the club for a fan organisation and ii) eliminating the massive debt that GC have shamelessly chucked onto the club’s accounts. So to pull the rug under MCT by withholding payments five months in because the first team is gash will only push the club fully into the arms of the chinless wonders at GC, or whoever they flog the club to without consultation with the fanbase.

The aim here should be to build on MCT by emptying any sycophants to the current hierarchy and consistently securing a bigger and bigger stake in the club. If you want to withdraw support because you’re scunnered with this current garbage, then you should chuck home games instead if you weren’t suckered into their crap discount season ticket scheme. Losing gate income and abysmal attendances are quite simply the most direct form of pressure on the club.

Absolutely correct VT I am agreeing with you for once.

Yeah, I won’t be cancelling my MCT subscription in response to a bad run of form, even one as disgraceful as this. MCT being a failure and keeping the club beholden to the Raes and ‘their’ debt will only further hasten the decline of the club. Chucking it every time the team are doing badly on the park would doom it to failure, but I suppose this kind of reaction was set up by both the club and MCT choosing to make such a big point of the money going to the first team budget as a means of generating more support.

The long term goals and debt cancellation are far more important and what the focus should really be on. However if every signing is accompanied by an upbeat message to the effect of ‘it was your money that signed the latest complete dud from English 15th tier who is a candidate for the worst XI in the club’s history!’ then it’s no wonder that stopping that supply of funds to Hopkin to do even more damage is people’s immediate concern when we find ourselves in the relegation zone.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

That was fucking brutal, we are beat the minute we walk on the pitch, so many factors including - a couple of players well out there depth Ramsbottom, Walsh and arguably Salkeld although he has decent energy. Hoppy is fucking sinking too he's got no clue and no support towards the end the Thistle bench was about 10 deep shouting encouraging cajoling, Hoppy's body language was poor. Walsh is out of position doesn't know when or how to go down the line and hit a cross, Ramsbottom is obviously in too deep and needs emptied now. The rest is all added pressure on top. Full time football using sport science is it? So will they be do any analysis of that shite today!? Thistle were rank rotten themselves but we still couldn't beat 10 of them. Heads are down it needs a drastic solution and there's no money to fix it. Why take Millar off and leave McAllister on? What's the point of Billy King? I was crying out for Nesbitt to get a chance earlier but then instantly regretted it. Baird was having a decent game but that miss was criminal, Lewis Strapp was probably MOM. Fucking beeling

Ffs it’s Welsh!

Just get Tumilty back and we can forget what he's called altogether, he either needs to learn to play full back or get a seaside league gig at centre half to get his confidence back we're just going to ruin him forever right now he's not ready

Just get Tumilty back and we can forget what he's called altogether, he either needs to learn to play full back or get a seaside league gig at centre half to get his confidence back we're just going to ruin him forever right now he's not ready

It's not confidence. He's poor on the ball and isn't strong. I'd be shocked if he has a career in football.

A ‘seaside league gig’ just like the one that Rhegan ‘Cafu’ Tumilty got landed with while playing in his actual position?

It’s amazing that the simple concept of having *neither* player in that role - or better still, not playing with full backs at all - is still so bitterly opposed on here, but here we are

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

A ‘seaside league gig’ just like the one that Rhegan ‘Cafu’ Tumilty got landed with while playing in his actual position?

It’s amazing that the simple concept of having *neither* player in that role - or better still, not playing with full backs at all - is still so bitterly opposed on here, but here we are

He's not perfect but he's better than what we've got any small margin's need to be implemented right now in conjunction with each other. Change is required and budget is limited.

It's not confidence. He's poor on the ball and isn't strong. I'd be shocked if he has a career in football.

I seem to recall Lee Kilday and Sir Richard Lamie displaying all of the above traits while playing out of position at full back under another gormless Morton manager back in 2014-15, yet they’d walk into our team right now.

A centre back doesn’t need to be anywhere near as good on the ball as a full back to do their job effectively: that Welsh for example can’t cross a ball to save himself is a current issue for the team caused entirely by him being played out of position. A lack of strength is largely down to the fact that he’s 19, an age at which most players have not yet reached the strength required for senior football every week.

I’m not saying that we’ve got the next Alessandro Nesta on our hands with Welsh either, but a player playing out of position in a dung side does not mean their career is finished as a result. Until he gets a run of games in his actual position then we should focus our ire on truly inexplicable flops, like Ramsbottom and that useless sand dancer King.

He's not perfect but he's better than what we've got any small margin's need to be implemented right now in conjunction with each other. Change is required and budget is limited.

If he’s better than what we’ve got then why was his only offer to play football just three months ago a honking Dumbarton side shipping an average of four goals a game at the time in the seaside leagues? Where were say, Alloa, Arbroath or even a promotion chasing East Fife when it came to this supposedly capable Championship full back for hire?

This is Stephen Stirling syndrome all over again, except that instead of a mere leg break Tumilty has suffered a truly terminal career ending fate - playing for Dumbarton - yet is still being bizarrely hyped as the answer to our problems several months on.

Another few weeks of this dross on the park and even Dylan Dykes will be getting the same revisionist treatment.

Archived