Arbroath v Morton - Page 7 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Arbroath v Morton

Ton4life

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously - pipe down with this patter. Strapp is 19 years old and has less than 65 professional games under his belt, with the majority of those games being at League Two level. He has potential, nothing more than that. It benefits absolutely nobody, least of all Strapp, to keep banging on about how wonderful he is going to be. Plenty of players with far more potential than Strapp have fizzled out and the last thing we needs is unnecessary pressure being placed upon him. 

^^^nick of this.

Already Lewis Strapp has played more games for Morton than the likes of fans favourites from previous eras like Scott Paterson and Gavin Gunning, and I don't honestly think he's put a foot wrong. He is the most exciting young player Morton have had for at least a generation now, and for such a young player he has much more than just 'potential' as you suggested - he is a competent player with natural talent and ability, a great pace, touch, tackling ability, superb long throw-ins; he may be only 19, but the uninformed person who didn't know him from Adam could easily be forgiven for thinking he was an experienced professional in his mid-20s. He will have a great career ahead of him, and with his ability and work ethic he should be aiming for the top of the game - there's no reason why he shouldn't be aiming to emulate Andy Robertson at a top EPL side.

However with us being Morton, the yardstick for for what is considered to be a successful career in the game has been shortened somewhat to being the next fucking 'Jimbo'.

At the moment I'd have him in the team ahead of Millar and definitely ahead of Blues. A shape change should be looked at, but I'd rather some variation on a 3-4-3 to protect our piss poor defence and get more bodies around Sutton.

I agree with you on Reece Lyons. Another great Talent.

We should get great money for him too. We'll be the richest club pleading poverty pretty soon.

*insert signature here*

Recall Tumilty an option?

I know that doesn’t solve all our problems and he isn’t a world beater but I don’t see Welsh as an improvement on him at all.

Loans have to run to the following window now, so we can’t have Tumilty back until January.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Strapp is 20 in a few weeks and has about 10 games at Championship level. The year Robertson turned 20 he became Scotland's first choice LB, and moved to the Premier League for £3M. Ridiculous to compare them.

After yet another round of drivel from Hopkin and Grant in the Tele, I'm left thinking that a blanket ban in interviews would have been much better than the mini-strop the club threw about them at the start of the season. Grant in particular talks some amount of shite for a guy who can't kick a football properly.

AWMSC

After yet another round of drivel from Hopkin and Grant in the Tele, I'm left thinking that a blanket ban in interviews would have been much better than the mini-strop the club threw about them at the start of the season. Grant in particular talks some amount of shite for a guy who can't kick a football properly.

Aye I'm sick of hearing Hopkin make excuses for his own dreadful team selections. Saturday was my first match of the season and probably my last for a while. Just can't be arsed anymore.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Day four of the excuseorama and the number of great chances we supposedly missed has been inflated to four or five, our 'goal' was clearly onside and of course the lovechild's challenge for the Linn free kick was definitely not a foul. 

He should have stopped digging as soon as he made even Dick 'dick' Campbell look like a magnanimous victor in the post match interview, but here we are. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

The difficult part of management is being open and honest about what went wrong, why it went wrong and what you intend to do to correct it.

Hopkins seems to be sadly lacking in taking responsibility for anything that goes on with the team he chooses and the tactics we adopt, and increasingly he looks like a poor appointment.

I hope he can turn things around but I'm running out of reasons for giving him any more slack.

Hopkin’s refusal to take any responsibility or acknowledge that our performances are miles away from being acceptable would be infuriating either way, but it’s made worse by the fact the excuses he’s coming up are blatantly untrue. This ‘young squad’ line is just nonsense.

Ramsbottom - yes, no experience of playing at this level, but that was Hopkin’s decision to go with an untested goalkeeper having released one with over 200 appearances for the club on the summer. He also had a goalkeeper with more than 100 Championship appearances sitting on the bench. An experienced player is available for this position, so it doesn’t wash.

Welsh - yes, completely inexperienced, but that we only have a teenage centre back available to play right back is a situation entirely of Hopkin’s making, having allowed a right back with more than 60 appearances at Championship and Premiership level to go out on loan and failed to sign another. That’s his fault rather than being forced on him by the budget or any other circumstance outwith his control..

Grant - has played more than 100 games at this level and been part of sides consistently finishing top four. Not inexperienced.

Baird - has played more than 100 games at Premiership & Championship level, and has won the title at this level. Not inexperienced.

Strapp - yes, accurate in this case to say he’s still young and learning the game.

Jacobs - more than 200 games at this level and has been playing first team football since 2010. Not inexperienced.

McAlister - 33 years old and is verging on 600 career appearances.

Blues - only 21 and the vast majority of his career has been at a lower level, so it’s certainly accurate to call him inexperienced. However again an experienced alternative was sitting on the bench, one who didn’t spend last season completely failing to stand out in a team being relegated from League Two in a humiliating fashion. This signing was always bizarre and after his performances, his continued selection is even weirder. Like Ramsbottom, Hopkin chose to sign him and chose to pick him over more experienced and more importantly far better players, so his age and lack of games at this level is no defence of Hopkin.

Cadden - only 23, but has been playing first team football since 2015, has been promoted from this division and played a few games in the top flight as well. He is still young and learning the game, but he’a hardly an untested teenager either.

Nesbitt - only 22, with one full season at this level with us under his belt, a few Premiership appearances and over 25 games for MK Dons when they were in English League One. He is relatively inexperienced, but is also a proven performer at this level.

Sutton - 35 years old, played more than 500 games including around 200 in the top flight, has been a prolific goalscorer and won this division twice as well as playing regularly for a side which finished second in the top flight.

Not in the starting eleven we also had Danny Rogers (over 100 games at this level), Brian McLean (34, over 300 appearances and an international cap), Chris Millar (36, will probably hit 600 career appearances this season, played in the top flight for 9 seasons after winning this division, won a Scottish Cup and played in European competitions), Billy King (well over 100 appearances across Premiership & Championship, won this league twice), Robbie Muirhead (over 80 Premiership appearances and almost 50 in English League One) and Bob McHugh (over 200 appearances in the Premiership and Championship).

This squad is full of experienced players. The problem is it’s also full of crap ones and once again that falls on Hopkin. Stop making excuses that are transparently untrue, take some responsibility for our undeniably disgraceful form and fix it.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Blues - This signing was always bizarre and after his performances, his continued selection is even weirder.

As was, having contributed very little up to that point making his continued selection already bizarre, Hopkin deeming him worthy of making his loan move permanent rather than just shipping him back up the M8.

As was, having contributed very little up to that point making his continued selection already bizarre, Hopkin deeming him worthy of making his loan move permanent rather than just shipping him back up the M8.

I'd love to hear somebody asking Hopkin about this. It makes Dykes' extension look like a shrewd, perfectly reasonable bit of business.

AWMSC

Scholarship as usual from Mr. Dunning. If you have time, fancy comparing the experience of our most recent XIs to those of the opposition? Arbroath do have a very experienced squad but I don't think Dunfermline do, for example.

EOho8Pw.png

I reckon he's pretty much untouchable due to his relationship with the guys ultimately paying his wages.

Hopkin clearly being paid to take the club down so they are cheaper to take over, gets kept on with an improved budget so they can storm back into the championship with a Livi style bounce, seems legit

Hopkin clearly being paid to take the club down so they are cheaper to take over, gets kept on with an improved budget so they can storm back into the championship with a Livi style bounce, seems legit

a-foil-hat-actually-amplifies-some-radio

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Welsh - yes, completely inexperienced, but that we only have a teenage centre back available to play right back is a situation entirely of Hopkin’s making, having allowed a right back with more than 60 appearances at Championship and Premiership level to go out on loan and failed to sign another. 

This is nearly as bogus a claim as the time Douglas Rae declared that we had signed 'an English Premiership footballer' and unveiled, erm, Kieran McAnespie instead. A handful of ten minute cameos in the top flight doesn't stand up to the consistently dung performances of Tumilty in a Morton jersey, which forms the comfortable majority of his playing time in senior football. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Getting Bradford relegated with barely a whimper last season must have been the opening move for this 4-D chess grandmaster.

Archived