Fans Q&A - Page 16 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Fans Q&A

Plenty of people have replied to show what a daft question that is, but here's my answer as well:

Are you joking? It's REALLY easy to get people to do that kind of thing. I bet you there are hundreds of people choking at the chance to work FOR FREE for a full-time "professional" football club, even it's simply helping with social media or some website stuff a couple of days a week.

West College for starters has Journalism courses whose students I'm sure would be desperate for real-life practical experience...

Queen of the South have 7 people listed on their website as being part of their web team.

You'd imagine all but 1, if not all, are voluntary.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's part time clubs out there who have fantastic highlights packages with commentary and video interviews etc yet when one person is off at Morton it all stops. It's indefensible and Hawke's attempt to deflect by praising the guy standing in is absolute nonsense.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Yeah, but that one can be absolutely vital.

Yep. The issue with volunteers is that if they flake out or whatever, there's no recourse. You can't underestimate the impact of one professional person being available.

I'm not saying we shouldn't use the club's links with the wider community to get some willing bodies in to help, but ultimately if you're a professional club, this needs to be done professionally. You can't skate on this, at least not reliably.

EOho8Pw.png

But we can't even do it professionally. It's the employee who goes off sick, not the job. A professional company would have plans in place for that kind of thing. We haven't, and the outcome is that the customer facing guy at the club has been off since January and hasn't been replaced. That's schoolboy error stuff.

That’s not how the club see it though. They’ve already commented at either the Q&A or the AGM saying how well Brendan’s done in Jonathan’s absence.

Whether he has done a good job or not is a matter of opinion, but I don’t think many would’ve been able to cover the work Jonathan did to his standard.

West College for starters has Journalism courses whose students I'm sure would be desperate for real-life practical experience...

Might as well stick them in the dugout instead of the Finnish dud and his totally useless, slaphead mate 'Houstie' while we're at it then. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Might as well stick them in the dugout instead of the Finnish dud and his totally useless, slaphead mate 'Houstie' while we're at it then. 

Speaking of which, I only learned yesterday that he's an assistant manager of the Scotland U21s. That's our tournament hopes dashed for the next 10 years, then.

EOho8Pw.png

But we can't even do it professionally. It's the employee who goes off sick, not the job. A professional company would have plans in place for that kind of thing. We haven't, and the outcome is that the customer facing guy at the club has been off since January and hasn't been replaced. That's schoolboy error stuff.

I'm not defending the club here, as I don't think the current radio silence looks good, just saying that you can't rely on volunteers at a professional level.

I'd also argue that it's more ethical to pay if you expect professional level output. Although I'm a massive hypocrite as when I worked editorially we had a small army of interns. Granted they were entirely at leisure to do as much or as little as they wanted, and they were never told to be anywhere at a specific time - that is professional work that requires a professional wage - but still, now that I'm not in that position anymore, I get to be high and mighty about it.

EOho8Pw.png

Houston takes the training and seems to do most of the shouting at games, albeit to no affect.

No doubt he'll still add 'responsible for seamless defensive and set piece organisation, 2018-19' to his totally fraudulent CV though. 'Much more effective in an assistant role' indeed. 

Speaking of which, I only learned yesterday that he's an assistant manager of the Scotland U21s. That's our tournament hopes dashed for the next 10 years, then.

A perfect foil for the JJ-esque management skills of Scot Gemmill. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

To be honest, the online content wasn't exactly irreplaceable. The updates weren't much more than perfunctory and the social media stuff wasn't very good, it shouldn't be beyond a few people at the club to keep it ticking along between them.

It was...SUUUBLIME

To be honest, the online content wasn't exactly irreplaceable. The updates weren't much more than perfunctory and the social media stuff wasn't very good, it shouldn't be beyond a few people at the club to keep it ticking along between them.

Pretty much this. It isn’t a dig at Jonathan either, he was incredibly stretched in what he had to do, but the club have zero interest in volunteers. Wether that’s students or folk with actual degrees looking for experience. Given our extremely limited output at the minute, it wouldn’t hurt to try it.

Pretty much this. It isn’t a dig at Jonathan either, he was incredibly stretched in what he had to do, but the club have zero interest in volunteers. Wether that’s students or folk with actual degrees looking for experience. Given our extremely limited output at the minute, it wouldn’t hurt to try it.

Isn’t this the sort of thing that would be right up your street? Again, not a dig, but you clearly seem to be interested in sports journalism as you always seem to pop up getting interviewed about something Morton-related.

Obviously don’t know if you’ve got better offers but to see someone who is relatively young and inexperienced in that field talking about it as a role for others without even considering it himself doesn’t paint it in a good light.

Did you offer? Do you know of anyone that offered? If yes, was Jonathan made aware or were any proposals dismissed before it got to the stage of telling him?

To be honest though, I’d prefer to see someone working under Jonathan voluntarily on his return rather than taking over for the time being. I wouldn’t see the benefit to either the club or an unpaid individual of taking the job over alone.

Lets not forget, Jackie has had literally fuck all support from Morton. In fact, as i believe, Warren and Crawford dont really engage with him. In order to improve content, Jackie started doing interviews. Folk might have their opinions on them, but you can only interview whats in front of you and the likes of Tiffoney were as dense at they come. Above that, he had to buy his own equipment because Morton are tighter than a ducks are. He was flogged a dead animal when he took what was supposed to be his dream job. Turned nightmare. We had a fan trying his best and going above and beyond for absolutely zero recognition.

I don't blame him at all.

We're a fucking farce.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Before Jonathan got the gig me and a few others had offered I know that, but Warren wanted it all done professionally, which is fair enough bur I don’t know if he realised the amount of work that actually involves for one person. I know somebody else that tried to get in touch after Jonathan went off sick but got radio silence from Cappielow. I’ll happily help out but the impression I’ve had is they want full time employees, wether that’s changed or not now I’m unsure, might enquire again.

Lets not forget, Jackie has had literally **** all support from Morton. In fact, as i believe, Warren and Crawford dont really engage with him. In order to improve content, Jackie started doing interviews. Folk might have their opinions on them, but you can only interview whats in front of you and the likes of Tiffoney were as dense at they come. Above that, he had to buy his own equipment because Morton are tighter than a ducks are. He was flogged a dead animal when he took what was supposed to be his dream job. Turned nightmare. We had a fan trying his best and going above and beyond for absolutely zero recognition.

I don't blame him at all.

We're a ****ing farce.

Aye, exactly. It’s some undertaking for one person when our social media presence before that was pretty much non-existent. There’s so many small things we could be doing better with it but it just needs one or two more people involved, imo.

Archived