Fans Q&A - Page 14 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Fans Q&A

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hearing murmurings of us going part time despite what was said at Q&A

They didn't see relegation coming, and if/when that happens it'll surely at the very least be on the table when we are planning for next season.

At least we've got Dykes signed up already...

If we go down it'll have to be part-time football if we're planning on breaking even.

If we stay up, we won't break even.

If we go down, we won't break even. Regardless.

You think them in charge at Morton have the ability to convert the operation to part time cost effectively and efficiently?

Despite that being the go to threat throughout the entire Rae era, there's a bit more to it than 'part time players, cheaper wages'.

With their track record, it wouldn't be surprising if a switch to part time actually ended up making them a bigger loss, because there is no way in hell they will have actually done a feasibility into going part time and what that would entail.

If we go Part-Time then the club is gone

The club is almost 150 years old, it won't be gone. It's a club with a decent history and decent potential to grow. But we won't move forward without new ideas, better leadership, and proper investment. When that happens, the enthusiasm will return (even if we had slipped to part time football for a while - maybe that will even help in forcing a change in direction for the club).

The club is almost 150 years old, it won't be gone. It's a club with a decent history and decent potential to grow. But we won't move forward without new ideas, better leadership, and proper investment. When that happens, the enthusiasm will return (even if we had slipped to part time football for a while - maybe that will even help in forcing a change in direction for the club).

makes sense to me

If we go Part-Time then the club is gone

Don’t think so.

We were part time in the 70s and did fine.

McGraw’s teams were mainly part time with a few full time players (Wylie was definitely full time) and we were in no danger of being gone back then. Granted the way contracts and selling/buying players is dealt with has changed, but we’ve always adapted.

It’s not like we’ve been avoiding paying tax or anything.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Is it really? One major trophy almost a century ago and no appearances in the top flight in the last 30 years - for a club that keeps claiming to have potential or be a "sleeping giant", that's a pretty unremarkable history. We're by far and away the worst full-time club in the country.

AWMSC

Don’t think so.

We were part time in the 70s and did fine.

McGraw’s teams were mainly part time with a few full time players (Wylie was definitely full time) and we were in no danger of being gone back then. Granted the way contracts and selling/buying players is dealt with has changed, but we’ve always adapted.

It’s not like we’ve been avoiding paying tax or anything.

Football now isn't the same as it was in the 70s.

If we go to Part-Time the likelihood of sticking around the seasides is high and with the current toxic relationship between the Board and Fans, I don't think that there would be any real enthusiasm from the fans to do anything. Instead, crowds would dwindle and we would end up in a position where we couldn't go back to FT and, instead, just became Airdrie.

Is it really? One major trophy almost a century ago and no appearances in the top flight in the last 30 years - for a club that keeps claiming to have potential or be a "sleeping giant", that's a pretty unremarkable history. We're by far and away the worst full-time club in the country.

I certainly didn't call us a sleeping giant, I said we had decent potential - that's all. With the right level of investment and good leadership there's no reason why the club couldn't take a step forward. I also don't think we're by far and away the worst full time club. Raith, Ayr, and QotS have had their moments in recent history but they've also spent a lot of time below us in the pecking order (Ayr are about to finish above us for the first time in 15 seasons). That's where are right now, that's roughly where we've been for 30 years, but if the potential is the for Ross County, Hamilton, and Livingston, then it's there for us - but we need significant investment in the club as a whole and good leadership to see us progress. I don't know when that will happen, but the potential is there.

Football now isn't the same as it was in the 70s.

If we go to Part-Time the likelihood of sticking around the seasides is high and with the current toxic relationship between the Board and Fans, I don't think that there would be any real enthusiasm from the fans to do anything. Instead, crowds would dwindle and we would end up in a position where we couldn't go back to FT and, instead, just became Airdrie.

That’s not what you said though- you said the club was gone. Basically just sensationalist moon howling before SpoonTon came along and put you firmly in your box.

Things are very different from the 1970s, but since then, only Airdrie, Gretna and Rangers have been liquidated (Clydebank weren’t) and every one of them was in a far worse nick than we are now.

There may well be hard times ahead, but reel in the nonsense about how the end is nigh.

If we stay up, we won't break even.

If we go down, we won't break even. Regardless.

You think them in charge at Morton have the ability to convert the operation to part time cost effectively and efficiently?

Despite that being the go to threat throughout the entire Rae era, there's a bit more to it than 'part time players, cheaper wages'.

With their track record, it wouldn't be surprising if a switch to part time actually ended up making them a bigger loss, because there is no way in hell they will have actually done a feasibility into going part time and what that would entail.

Merely pointing out that we will go part-time if we go down. I don't have a clue how the morons in charge would go about it properly but it'll be their 'go to' tactic if we go down. 

That’s not what you said though- you said the club was gone. Basically just sensationalist moon howling before SpoonTon came along and put you firmly in your box.

Things are very different from the 1970s, but since then, only Airdrie, Gretna and Rangers have been liquidated (Clydebank weren’t) and every one of them was in a far worse nick than we are now.

There may well be hard times ahead, but reel in the nonsense about how the end is nigh.

Not literally gone - didn't realise that you had to speak literally on here. Maybe I should have said 'the club will be in a starkly different state than it is currently'. Will remember in future to write my posts in crayon for you

Not literally gone - didn't realise that you had to speak literally on here. Maybe I should have said 'the club will be in a starkly different state than it is currently'. Will remember in future to write my posts in crayon for you

So it won’t be gone and you were howling to the moon then? Thanks for confirming.

So it won’t be gone and you were howling to the moon then? Thanks for confirming.

Zzz. The club in its current guise* will be gone. When someone's head is gone, you realise that it isn't literally detached from their shoulders, right?

*Again, not in a Rangers, Gretna or Clydebank situation. Instead in a - PT football for the foreseeable, bouncing around League 1 and 2 with gates of 800.

Zzz. The club in its current guise will be gone. When someone's head is gone, you realise that it isn't literally detached from their shoulders, right?

Of course I do. But your post smacks of the nonsense that’s usually reserved for one of the mouth breathers on the Facebook group that’s normally got a Celtic cover photo but claims to be a Morton fan.

If you feel the need to put such utter drivel, expect to be pulled up on it.

Given the utter failure of this club over the past 30ish years we've basically been a part time club paying full time wages the whole of that period anyway. The only thing becoming part time will kill is the hope that it might ever change.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Of course I do. But your post smacks of the nonsense that’s usually reserved for one of the mouth breathers on the Facebook group that’s normally got a Celtic cover photo but claims to be a Morton fan.

If you feel the need to put such utter drivel, expect to be pulled up on it.

Lol. Think your head is gone mate. What do you think will happen if we go PT since my idea that it would be a disaster is 'utter drivel'?

Of course there's potential. If someone were to take over the club they'd have a team with their own ground, a decent deal on training facilities, a full youth academy, a community programme that bigger clubs are looking to emulate and crucially no debt if Rae is as good as his word.

None of the above might be perfect but if someone comes in then there's definitely a lot to work with.

Archived