Championship 2018-19 Thread - Page 66 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Championship 2018-19 Thread

Telfer is small, lightweight and slow, which means on the ball he's always outmuscled and dispossessed, while off the ball he is always at least a yard or two further away than he needs to be when the opposition have the ball near him.

I can't question his effort as he runs about all game trying his best to do what he's supposed to be doing, he's just not got the ability or athleticism to do so. Perhaps in the Premier League when you get a bit more time on the ball his qualities on the ball may be able to shine more, but in this league he's so ineffective and would be one of the first names punted out the door for me. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Dylan Dykes is signed up for next season and comes under the bracket Hawke was babbling about at the Q&A then you’d expect to see a contract offer for Telfer for next season.

In spells he’s looked good but doesn’t exert his influence enough. I think that will hopefully come though, and would have him next season as a decent option.

Telfer is small, lightweight and slow, which means on the ball he's always outmuscled and dispossessed, while off the ball he is always at least a yard or two further away than he needs to be when the opposition have the ball near him.

I can't question his effort as he runs about all game trying his best to do what he's supposed to be doing, he's just not got the ability or athleticism to do so. Perhaps in the Premier League when you get a bit more time on the ball his qualities on the ball may be able to shine more, but in this league he's so ineffective and would be one of the first names punted out the door for me.

Players get more time on the ball at a higher level only if they are better athletes, stronger, better on the ball, and move better off the ball. You don't simply just get more time on the ball at a higher level. Telfer would get less time on the ball, because he's not good enough.

I hate the idea that players would somehow look better by moving up a level. Fans used to say this about players like Jamie Stevenson, as if he would get more time on the ball at this level rather than in the seaside leagues. It just doesn't work that way.

Players get more time on the ball at a higher level only if they are better athletes, stronger, better on the ball, and move better off the ball. You don't simply just get more time on the ball at a higher level. Telfer would get less time on the ball, because he's not good enough.

I hate the idea that players would somehow look better by moving up a level. Fans used to say this about players like Jamie Stevenson, as if he would get more time on the ball at this level rather than in the seaside leagues. It just doesn't work that way.

What about Fred?

To get the best out of Telfer you probably have to play him high up the pitch (for me, on the right of a three in a 4-2-3-1) and relieve him of any defensive responsibility beyond being the out ball on a counter attack. Whether we can afford to play him that way I’m not so sure.

What about Fred?

He looked good here and has improved too as his career has progressed. Not quite the same as saying that a player would look good if only he was playing at a higher level.

What about Fred?

I don't think that's the same thing. Much more like Chris Millar. They both had a basic level of athleticism which Telfer seems to lack. I wouldn't have said that lacking time on the ball was ever a problem for Fred. He was good at operating in tight spaces and generally quicker in short bursts than those around him.

To get the best out of Telfer you probably have to play him high up the pitch (for me, on the right of a three in a 4-2-3-1) and relieve him of any defensive responsibility beyond being the out ball on a counter attack. Whether we can afford to play him that way I’m not so sure.

I would agree with this.

Due to our defensive frailties using a back 4 as highlighted in October-November, Johansson and Houston have obviously resolved to stick with 3 Centre halves.

It means we can't utilise the squad that we have to its capabilities.

With the subs we had he was reduced to like for like changes which simply didn't suit. Dallas on for Oliver. OConnell on for telfer in a 352. Only change was throwing buchanan up front.

Playing a ba k 4 would give us more options.

The issue is out management team being able to coach a back 4 to defend as one. Something I have zero faith in them doing.

Other problem was the lack of protection from midfield. Solution was to stick more bodies in there which has not worked.

He looked good here and has improved too as his career has progressed. Not quite the same as saying that a player would look good if only he was playing at a higher level.

He wouldn’t have got to that level at Morton, it took better players around him to move up - that should surely apply to any professional footballer given the right level of fitness. You’re right that Fred had the basic physical fundamentals to play at a higher level. Slow weak players couldn’t cope.

I think Telfer's been alright, to be honest. There's been a few games where he's been really good and in flashes you can see what he's capable of, but like everybody else it's impossible to really tell if he could be a key player over a full season.

Like a whole host of other players who've had the misfortune to play for Morton over the years, the chances are he'll go to another Championship club next season and do better there.

He’s not alright. He is actually not very good and hasn’t been for the majority of the season

He is only starting because Dykes is even worse

Irrespective of what you think about Tidser if he’s fit he has to play on Tuesday

According to an interview a few weeks back Telfer has been playing through an injury for most of the season, which possibly account for some of his performance levels. I don't think he's a technically bad player but he doesn't make an impact often enough and has a tendency to drift out of games. I think he's improved in recent weeks and has at least popped up with some important goals from midfield - the winner against Partick and last week's goal being crucial for us.

While having an injury is unfortunate for the player we need to be ruthless - if there are continuing doubts about his fitness then we can't commit to another deal. And unless he stands out in the run-in I'd be for releasing him regardless.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Meanwhile, elsewhere in one of the world's worst second tier, national sports leagues, former benchwarmer for The Famous Ross Doohan commits another howler to put the little people 2-1 down at Tannadice. The reasons why he failed to dislodge Gaston from the team last season are becoming apparent. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

All three games are goalless at half time today. Dunfermline have missed a penalty.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

...so that puts them 6th and us 7th, I think?

Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Oh FFS. F*lk*rk 1-0 up.

Archived