Transfers And Confirmed Squad For Season 15/16 - Page 7 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Transfers And Confirmed Squad For Season 15/16

Any news with regards to Gaston or Russell?

So so far, for next season we have

Kilday (offered)

Lamie (offered)

Pepper

Tidser

Forbes

McKee(offered)

MacDonald

We have the following players signed up for next season

Peter MacDonald, Michael Tidser, Mark Russell, Ross Forbes and Connor Pepper.

Deals offered to Joe McKee, Tam O'Ware, Michael Miller, Derek Gaston, Jon Scullion, Rickie Lamie, Lee Kilday and Stefan McCluskey.

And we've more or less signed Bobby Barr, just the contract needing to be signed apparently.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Keeping Forbes is an excellent piece of business. Well done to Jim for getting that clause in.

Fingers crossed for Gaston for another couple of years. I wouldn't be that bothered about losing the rest we're waiting on hearing back from but Gaston is absolutely key.

Scullion has all the potential to be a great forward but he needs to spend this summer in the gym.

EOho8Pw.png

Deals offered to Joe McKee, Tam O'Ware, Michael Miller, Derek Gaston, Jon Scullion, Rickie Lamie, Lee Kilday and Stefan McCluskey.

I'm not too displeased with that. That's more or less who I would've offered contracts to as well.

2x centre-back, 2x striker, 2x wide-midfielder needed in the summer then.

Given that Duffy has used Miller almost exclusively as a central defender, and TOW usually as a central defender, and Lamie is now an undisputed starter there, we still need at the absolute minimum one more full-back as well.

EOho8Pw.png

Caldwell did not have an attitude problem. He was less than impressed that having been encouraged to sign with the promise of first team football Peaso and Dece then pop up. He then found that regardless of his form and attitude in training he and others were picking skelfs out their erse due to the weather forecast.

Tough: MacDonald and McManus were a better partnership - he then had the opportunity to force his way back into the side in the closing stages of the season, but contributed very little whenever he came off the bench. 

If that's his approach to being a mere third in the pecking order then it's probably best that he wasn't offered a deal for next season, as we'll need to bring in quality to be competitive. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I still think Duffy has been slightly generous with some of the contracts he's handed out there.  However, a lot will depend on how well he uses his budget to complete his squad.  I'd like us to be more than just competitive next season to at least try and rekindle a bit of fire in the support.  A bad start and we could be down to the hardcore again and facing a relegation battle, a good start and we can relish what's to come.  :bouncy:

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Given that Duffy has used Miller almost exclusively as a central defender, and TOW usually as a central defender, and Lamie is now an undisputed starter there, we still need at the absolute minimum one more full-back as well.

Don't recall Miller playing at all at centre half, almost exclusively used as a holding midfielder, and a fairly anonymous one at that. He could yet find def mid to be his natural position, but right now he's too untested to be considered a starting centre half. I reckon we need improvements in both def mid and centre half to complement what we've got.

Don't recall Miller playing at all at centre half, almost exclusively used as a holding midfielder, and a fairly anonymous one at that. He could yet find def mid to be his natural position, but right now he's too untested to be considered a starting centre half. I reckon we need improvements in both def mid and centre half to complement what we've got.

Aye sorry, I meant central midfielder with him. The point was that he's signed quite a few central players already, and we need another full back or two.

Wouldn't argue with another few central players for quality's sake, mind.

EOho8Pw.png

Aye sorry, I meant central midfielder with him. The point was that he's signed quite a few central players already, and we need another full back or two.

Wouldn't argue with another few central players for quality's sake, mind.

Suppose it depends on what formation Duffy has in mind. I'd hope he's more inclined towards 4-5-1 adapted to 4-3-3 or a fairly rigid 4-1-4-1. We need real quality and discipline in the holding midfield position for any of those to work and allow us to get the best out of an offensive Russell and a composed Tidser/Forbes combination. At the moment we don't have that.

Some of our players don't look particularly suited for anything other than 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 with sitting full backs and midfield (e.g. Scullion, Kilday, Pepper, MacDonald). And some really don't (e.g. Forbes, Miller, Russell).

He needs to get the balance spot on across 16 squad places where we're not tactically flexible at the expense of being genuinely able in any one particular formation - which for me needs to look like 4-5-1/4-3-3

I think that people are jumping the gun with Ross Forbes. He certainly had a clause in his contract relative to a possible further season with us and I sincerely hope he takes it up, but I don't think anything is decided as yet. Maybe I've missed a report of his having re-signed.

I am also concerned if all we are offering is one year contracts, remembering that in the past we have missed out on/lost players simply because they were offered the security of longer contracts elsewhere.

He played at centre half when crighton got sent off down at Stranraer, in the 2 0 defeat down there.

Thanks. I had not seen that and of course the club web site hasn't published it yet.

However we are still waiting for them to tell us about .........................well almost everything of any significance!

I think that people are jumping the gun with Ross Forbes. He certainly had a clause in his contract relative to a possible further season with us and I sincerely hope he takes it up, but I don't think anything is decided as yet. Maybe I've missed a report of his having re-signed.

I am also concerned if all we are offering is one year contracts, remembering that in the past we have missed out on/lost players simply because they were offered the security of longer contracts elsewhere.

I wouldn't say that there are any players apart from Gaston that have been offered new contracts who have proven to be good enough or have any sell on value to warrant multiple year deals. Russell was supposed to sign a new deal on the final day of the season despite him already being signed up for next season, which if he has done so i'd imagine would have been at least a two year deal.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

We need cover or competition for both full-backs, as well as centre-backs, a holding midfielder, 2 strikers and possibly 2 players who can play on the flanks as a minimum.

2 full-backs

2 centre-backs

1 holding midfielder

2 strikers

2 wide forward/midfielder players

Don't blame me I voted Yes!!!! - We tried to tell you !!!!!

We need cover or competition for both full-backs, as well as centre-backs, a holding midfielder, 2 strikers and possibly 2 players who can play on the flanks as a minimum.

2 full-backs

2 centre-backs

1 holding midfielder

2 strikers

2 wide forward/midfielder players

Am I picking this up wrong, or are you suggesting that we need to have a first team squad of 23 players?

Not sure I can see us signing any more than 6 players at most to be honest.

Am I picking this up wrong, or are you suggesting that we need to have a first team squad of 23 players?

Not sure I can see us signing any more than 6 players at most to be honest.

Was just thinking the same. If everybody signs who's been offered, along with the already signed and add Barr, that gives us 14. One more keeper makes it 15. 

I'd only expect a squad of 18, at a push 19/20.

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

Archived