Transfers And Confirmed Squad For Season 15/16 - Page 8 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Transfers And Confirmed Squad For Season 15/16

I'd rather have Barr than Gibson, who I think is on the downward slope now(Stranraer?). I know he ended up there after the Celtic nation thing & he probably lived fairly local. My only worry with Barr is signing someone probably based on a small number of games against us (Bobby Linn syndrome), but to be fair he tormented us, not that that's a great recommendation based on last year at times...

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think at Caldwell will do really well in future and am really sorry we didn't offer him a new contract. He may be a bit headstrong but he is still young and if properly coached and managed will easily make it at Championship level at least.

But as has often been said in the past, it's all about opinions.

I agree. Disappointed we didn't keep him . We'll see how much better the replacement(s) are - there are plenty , according to some.

Show Racism the Red Card

Barr was highly rated when he played with Livi, I'm not too sure why he dropped down a league but he will be a good acquisition IMO.

I also wanted us to keep Caldwell, if he used his strength and build correctly he would be a animal for centre halves to deal with. His first few games for us proved how good a player he can be, just lost confidence.

Am I picking this up wrong, or are you suggesting that we need to have a first team squad of 23 players?

Not sure I can see us signing any more than 6 players at most to be honest.

Which is why offering guys like Miller and Stef contracts could well come back to haunt us.

EOho8Pw.png

Which is why offering guys like Miller and Stef contracts could well come back to haunt us.

I agree. I had that very thought about Miller just after posting - do we really need both Miller and O'Ware? You could add McKee to the list as well. Once Barr joins that might be the midfield finished. I really hope we haven't kept on one or two too many.

I agree. I had that very thought about Miller just after posting - do we really need both Miller and O'Ware? You could add McKee to the list as well. Once Barr joins that might be the midfield finished. I really hope we haven't kept on one or two too many.

Depends if Duffy uses oware as a centre half now

Or even a backup striker...

Dumbarton were disappointed to lose Miller I understand but we didn't see the best of him last season imo. I'm hoping there's much more to come. His goal is now officially etched in my memory tho'   :wub:  Stefan was an asset in terms of workrate and goal contribution - I'd love this to be transferrable to the Championship. we'll see.

Show Racism the Red Card

Am I picking this up wrong, or are you suggesting that we need to have a first team squad of 23 players?

Not sure I can see us signing any more than 6 players at most to be honest.

I think it's highly unlikely we'll see that size of squad but that's what we would require to have a proper balanced squad of players.

Squad cover for the full-back and centre-back roles will probably be a combination Lamie, Miller and O'Ware - although there will be other additions to the defence.

Midfield is covered with Tidser, Forbes and McKee in an attacking sense, but we defo require a proper holding midfielder.

Barr will probably be the only wide player we sign.

But we defo need 2 additional strikers of quality as Peaso won't play every game.

Don't blame me I voted Yes!!!! - We tried to tell you !!!!!

Dumbarton were disappointed to lose Miller I understand but we didn't see the best of him last season imo. I'm hoping there's much more to come. His goal is now officially etched in my memory tho' :wub: Stefan was an asset in terms of workrate and goal contribution - I'd love this to be transferrable to the Championship. we'll see.

McCluskey's work rate was good. A slight concern in that he nearly exclusively scored against the bottom two clubs. I always thought he got squeezed out of dangerous positions by better defenders.

Miller's an odd one. He's young and comes with a good reputation as a defender. But if I was judging him purely on his midfield performances over the past year I think I'd be disappointed that we were keeping him.

Since his hat trick against Stirling, Stefan has done well & im pleased he got a new deal as I feel he does have more to offer. Lamie also done well once he was shifted into centre half where he looks a lot more comfortable

Just checking - we're talking about the guys who got promoted on last day of the season after re-signing the division's top scorer, who's now left? These are the same players?

Coz right now it feels like I'm reading about a completely different squad of accomplished world-beaters. A good run against the lower-placed teams at the end of the season is ample preparation for meeting Falkirk, St. Mirror, even Raith, much less three of the four playoff contenders?

I get that we're aiming for 8th here and not promotion but it is hugely optimistic to think that players who didn't exactly stand out against the likes of Forfar are going to get us home wins on anything even approaching a regular basis.

Let's remember something here. A lot of the people who are suddenly talking up these players are the exact same ones who said that being in League One meant we couldn't sign the players who wanted to play against the tribute act and the Edinburgh twins. Personally I always thought that was bollocks but let's stick with that logic. The idea was we got off to a slow start last year because we couldn't compete with Cowdenbeath and Alloa for signings. With that no longer being the case, why are we signing the same players?

EOho8Pw.png

Last season's squad of youngsters struggled to win in a poor division. It's only reasonable to compare like with like and I fear that if Mr. Duffy thinks  they are up to Championship standard he may be disappointed. Peaso is effectively knackered. Gaston (if he stays) and Tidser have experience but we need some old heads in the squad.

Ryan sinnamon, Ryan Hardie from Rangers? Lewis toshney or Stuart Findlay? Darren Cole? Willie Gibson or joe cardle? Lawrence shankland or James keatings? Paul Lawson or Ian vigurs both released from Motherwell. Players we should be aiming for on loan if need be, if we want to be competing next year.

So that's us left with only two strikers...macdonald & scullion, three if you include mccluskey

That is hardly a disaster when the season isn't even over yet.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Archived