Transfers And Confirmed Squad For Season 15/16 - Page 10 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Transfers And Confirmed Squad For Season 15/16

Fair enough. I didn't even know he was out of the game.

He seemed to disappear altogether (there was a rumour of him trying his luck abroad or something) until March when he signed for Livi - I assume Hopkin's influence there. Played regularly for the last couple months of the season.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rate Imrie, and he'll drag a team along with him.

Just sayin' he leaves big holes when he goes monkey.

SInce we are stuck with Duffy, I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt that he can work on players weaknesses.

If Imrie could stay focused on the game, he would be a really good player.

... proud to be apart from the groupthink tree ...

SInce we are stuck with Duffy, I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt that he can work on players weaknesses.

Imrie left a year ago :lol:

I'd really like to see Imrie go monkey, sounds entertaining.

Seriously though, Imrie will be a Premiership player again next season. Well above us.

Just checking - we're talking about the guys who got promoted on last day of the season after re-signing the division's top scorer, who's now left? These are the same players?

Coz right now it feels like I'm reading about a completely different squad of accomplished world-beaters. A good run against the lower-placed teams at the end of the season is ample preparation for meeting Falkirk, St. Mirror, even Raith, much less three of the four playoff contenders?

I get that we're aiming for 8th here and not promotion but it is hugely optimistic to think that players who didn't exactly stand out against the likes of Forfar are going to get us home wins on anything even approaching a regular basis.

Let's remember something here. A lot of the people who are suddenly talking up these players are the exact same ones who said that being in League One meant we couldn't sign the players who wanted to play against the tribute act and the Edinburgh twins. Personally I always thought that was bollocks but let's stick with that logic. The idea was we got off to a slow start last year because we couldn't compete with Cowdenbeath and Alloa for signings. With that no longer being the case, why are we signing the same players?

You have to look at where the problems were at the start of the season.

Defensively we had problems in central defence and to a lesser extent left back

Our midfield was creating next to nothing

We had one decent striker up front in McManus.

We solved our left back problem with the emergence of Russell which let us move Lamie into central defence.

Both the main culprits in our defensive frailties Crighton and Milo have now both left the club.

In midfield we brought in Forbes  which was probably the master-stroke of our season.   Although we still lacked an experienced holding midfielder - something I hope will be a priority for next season.

In the January transfer window we got rid of the ineffectual Barrowman & McNeil and brought in Peaso & Caldwell.

Had we started the season with the players we had at the end I don't believe the league win would have been as tight.

If we get the right players in to compliment the squad that we have now then we may surprise how well we do next season

Don't blame me I voted Yes!!!! - We tried to tell you !!!!!

Imrie left a year ago :lol:

Yes dear, I heard in my time machine he might be coming back -even though he played most of this season's games at Hammyltoun Acaydemikahl Utd in the Scotch Premium Blend I am told.

... proud to be apart from the groupthink tree ...

Did somebody say Stefan was a asset.. should of been on the list to have been let go along with lambie.

6 months ago I'd have been glad to see the back of Stefan.  Now?  He's proved me wrong to the extent I'd like to see him given even 6 months to prove himself at a higher level, he's earned it. 

So that's us left with only two strikers...macdonald & scullion, three if you include mccluskey

Scullion should've been released.  Showed flashes but why is he suddenly going to shift the weight and prove an asset at the same time?  We can't afford passengers as much as I like him.

People who don't rate Imrie are worse than war criminals.

Agreed.  Or Tories. 

Imries problem last season for us was he tried to do too much, tried to beat one to many men on many occasions. Chipped in with a few goals right enough and gave it his all in every game.

Aye.  That was his problem.  Nothing to do with the fact he was trying to drag a shower of shite off their knees all by himself. 

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

You have to look at where the problems were at the start of the season.

Defensively we had problems in central defence and to a lesser extent left back

Our midfield was creating next to nothing

We had one decent striker up front in McManus.

We solved our left back problem with the emergence of Russell which let us move Lamie into central defence.

Both the main culprits in our defensive frailties Crighton and Milo have now both left the club.

In midfield we brought in Forbes  which was probably the master-stroke of our season.   Although we still lacked an experienced holding midfielder - something I hope will be a priority for next season.

In the January transfer window we got rid of the ineffectual Barrowman & McNeil and brought in Peaso & Caldwell.

Had we started the season with the players we had at the end I don't believe the league win would have been as tight.

If we get the right players in to compliment the squad that we have now then we may surprise how well we do next season

I don't think the league would have been as tight either - our second half was significantly better than our first. However, it was far from easy, with plenty of bumps along the way, and the way you describe our end-of-season defence makes it sound a hell of a lot more effective than it actually was.

EOho8Pw.png

So if we assume that everyone offered a contract takes it (surely Gaston's the only one who'd have an offer at a higher level?), we're left with:

Goalkeeper:

Gaston

Defenders:

Russell

O'Ware

Miller

Lamie

Kilday

Midfielders:

Tidser

Forbes

McKee

Pepper

S. McCluskey

Strikers:

MacDonald

Scullion

So purely looking at numbers and ignoring the debate over who's good enough to be a starter as opposed to cover, we need a keeper, a natural full-back, a holding midfielder, a wide midfielder and two strikers. That'd give us a squad of nineteen, can't see us making more than six signings.

If we do go on to look at who's good enough to be a starter, we need a centre back as well assuming Duffy still won't pick Miller there, that full-back will need to be the first choice right back ahead of Kilday as well as having someone to provide competition for Russell at left-back (we know Lamie's not good enough for that), two wide midfielders rather than one, and we'll have to hope the new holding midfielder isn't prone to injuries or suspensions or we'll be having to mess with the defence to move O'Ware or Miller in there again. All things considered I really think we should have let McKee and Kilday go too to free up the wages required, but we'll see what happens.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Really disappointed about Caldwell. A very good player to have even in the division above. Scored and made a lot of goals during his run in the team and before harshly dropped out. Big, direct, fast, good finisher and clever use of the ball. Was a big fan and would've prioritised keeping him ahead of Peaso or Scullion. And Jim Duffy.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Archived