Thread About Ex Player - Page 428 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

1 hour ago, Toby said:

Signs for Stenhousemuir. I wonder what the chances are of Edinburgh City failing to complete their fixtures this season?

My Twitter feed seems to be full of lower league clubs signing up all their players.

Would be just typical if their demise was to save Clyde from the Lowland League, but on a positive note, Hamilton dropped points to them earlier in the season, so if results were annulled, it could rein in Falkirk.

League One minnows Falkirk signed their top striker. There appears to be two or three first choice pros left at the club and the rest are U-20s.

As triage they've withdrawn from the LL Development League and the Women's League. Makes sense, since the essence of any pro club is its first team, but that's disruptive for those two competitions and surely they should be fined.

I can see they limping to the end of the season and regrouping.

EOho8Pw.png

1 minute ago, TRVMP said:

League One minnows Falkirk signed their top striker. There appears to be two or three first choice pros left at the club and the rest are U-20s.

As triage they've withdrawn from the LL Development League and the Women's League. Makes sense, since the essence of any pro club is its first team, but that's disruptive for those two competitions and surely they should be fined.

I can see they limping to the end of the season and regrouping.

There was a rumour that had Spartans failed to win promotion last season they’d have bought over Edinburgh City’s league place (this was mooted on The Terrace podcast a few months ago), so I suspect the writing’s been on the wall for a wee while.

I visited for their last game of the season, firstly to complete the 42, and secondly to get myself out the house after our game at Cove the previous night- it was a grim place, and I can’t pretend I didn’t think then, when there were no rumours of impending doom, how on Earth they made ends meet.

They must have easily the smallest support in the top four tiers, with a massive neighbour on their doorstep, presumably large rental costs and no real home to call their own.

You might be right about them making it to the end of the season, but I don’t see them surviving far beyond that.

• Upvote 1

Edinburgh City are in dire straits. Their solution was to ask for consent to merge with Spartans mid season. After this was knocked back the two new backers are solely focused on survival but difficult to see how this will not end in tears. There could be some interesting score-lines in the months ahead if all they have to fall back on is kids from the development squad.

8 minutes ago, Toby said:

There was a rumour that had Spartans failed to win promotion last season they’d have bought over Edinburgh City’s league place (this was mooted on The Terrace podcast a few months ago), so I suspect the writing’s been on the wall for a wee while.

I visited for their last game of the season, firstly to complete the 42, and secondly to get myself out the house after our game at Cove the previous night- it was a grim place, and I can’t pretend I didn’t think then, when there were no rumours of impending doom, how on Earth they made ends meet.

They must have easily the smallest support in the top four tiers, with a massive neighbour on their doorstep, presumably large rental costs and no real home to call their own.

You might be right about them making it to the end of the season, but I don’t see them surviving far beyond that.

It was a ludicrous state of affairs to begin with. They thought - maybe this was one or two owners ago - they could make a living as a club selling hospitality. I get that Edinburgh's full of corporations looking for things like that, but they have the rugby, Hearts, and Hibs, in that order. Lower-league football's just not attractive in the capital.

EOho8Pw.png

The most recent daft rumour I heard was that they were lobbying Edinburgh City Council to boot Tynecastle out of Meggetland so they could move in, and swap homes. With Meadowbank Stadium being beside Easter Road, and Tynecastle’s locale being pretty self-explanatory, it strikes me as another Broomhill case of a club with no roots just wanting to flit about and aimlessly and get lucky.

If true, and they’re happy enough to see a non-league club uprooted from their catchment area for their gain, they deserve what they get.

They’ll not be long to this world.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, HamCam said:

Edinburgh City are in dire straits. Their solution was to ask for consent to merge with Spartans mid season. After this was knocked back the two new backers are solely focused on survival but difficult to see how this will not end in tears. There could be some interesting score-lines in the months ahead if all they have to fall back on is kids from the development squad.

Sounds like Dream Oak Tree has the ideal club to follow. 

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

12 hours ago, TAFKAC said:

It is true, but I had no idea that Herriot had played for us.  My Mum watched the original series in the 70s and I remember my Dad coming out with this nugget.  Herriot was playing for Birmingham against Man U.

He won a handful of Scotland caps in the late 60s, if I remember correctly. He was with us right at the arse end if his career though, I think only as 2nd choice to Dennis Connaghan. Can't actually remember him playing for us, if he did it must only have been a few times.

15 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

He won a handful of Scotland caps in the late 60s, if I remember correctly. He was with us right at the arse end if his career though, I think only as 2nd choice to Dennis Connaghan. Can't actually remember him playing for us, if he did it must only have been a few times.

Made 3 appearances according to Wikipedia,  and 1 appearance 2 seasons before while on loan.

14 hours ago, Toby said:

According to one of their fans on Twitter they have only 34 season ticket holders and their support is dwindling by the week.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't remember him at all. Not a good career move, though.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

3 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Don't remember him at all. Not a good career move, though.

He never even signed a contract with us. He was a trialist for a few pre season games and did a decent enough job but then we never signed him up. 

Probably his level. 

Weird how we couldn't afford him yet he's now signed for a team that's had to release basically all their players cause they can't afford them. We would be top of the league by 10 points if we'd kept him.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Aiden McAdams signs for Larne, having left Edinburgh City due to their financial crisis. The Larnemen* are reigning champions of the failed statelet league and are in a close battle with Linfield for top spot.

Scott Allan is over there as well, along with, oddly, some Mexican defender on loan from Real Salt Lake. Wonder where the money's coming from.

*sub, check nickname

Edited by TRVMP

EOho8Pw.png

1 hour ago, TRVMP said:

Aiden McAdams signs for Larne, having left Edinburgh City due to their financial crisis. The Larnemen* are reigning champions of the failed statelet league and are in a close battle with Linfield for top spot.

Scott Allan is over there as well, along with, oddly, some Mexican defender on loan from Real Salt Lake. Wonder where the money's coming from.

*sub, check nickname

Larne are owned by local man done good Kenny Bruce the man behind purple bricks estate agents. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Nornirontons said:

Larne are owned by local man done good Kenny Bruce the man behind purple bricks estate agents. 

Looks like he's getting his money's worth - three seasons in Europe, including a famous win over AGF of Denmark back in 2021 and also against HJK of Finland this season. 

• Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

On 12/21/2023 at 9:52 PM, Toby said:

On 12/21/2023 at 9:55 PM, HamCam said:

On 12/21/2023 at 10:01 PM, TRVMP said:

It was a ludicrous state of affairs to begin with. They thought - maybe this was one or two owners ago - they could make a living as a club selling hospitality. I get that Edinburgh's full of corporations looking for things like that, but they have the rugby, Hearts, and Hibs, in that order. Lower-league football's just not attractive in the capital.

That's one of the things I hate about Scottish football nowadays, is shite clubs suddenly being considered to be part of the 'senior' game without having the wherewithal to sustain their place.  For all their criticism they attracted, what do Edinburgh City bring to the table that Cowdenbeath, Brechin or Berwick don't?  At least those clubs would be able to field a team and fulfil their fixtures, they have their own grounds and have modest support from their respective communities.

ETA:

Whilst we're on the subject of 'clubs' that don't contribute anything to the Scottish game, why are Queens Park playing at Hampden?  Get them to fuck.

Edited by capitanus

*insert signature here*

Sportscene just showed Hopkin in the stand watching Queens Park v Dunfermline.  The commentator said he has been brought in by QP to “help out” but didn’t mention in what capacity.  I can’t find any info on it on P&B or anywhere else either - anyone heard about this?  Hoping he will be taking over as manager

1 hour ago, capitanus said:

That's one of the things I hate about Scottish football nowadays, is shite clubs suddenly being considered to be part of the 'senior' game without having the wherewithal to sustain their place.  For all their criticism they attracted, what do Edinburgh City bring to the table that Cowdenbeath, Brechin or Berwick don't?  At least those clubs would be able to field a team and fulfil their fixtures, they have their own grounds and have modest support from their respective communities.

ETA:

Whilst we're on the subject of 'clubs' that don't contribute anything to the Scottish game, why are Queens Park playing at Hampden?  Get them to fuck.

There's every chance Edinburgh will drop back out in the next few years, the way things are going. Someone else will take their place

EOho8Pw.png