Season Preview - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Season Preview

Admin

Final League Position  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you anticipate/expect Morton to finish this season?

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th
    • 5th
    • 6th
    • 7th
    • 8th
    • 9th
    • 10th

Happy new season from the Admin team! Our resident writer has outlined Morton's strengths and weaknesses ahead of tomorrow's Championship curtain raiser against Queen of the South. 

2018/19 Season Preview

We have a new manager for the first time in four years and 11 new signings have come along with him, so it's going to be an interesting season seeing how the new players fit in. Here's a look at our hopes for the season ahead of the league opener this Saturday against Queen of the South.

With two newly relegated and two newly promoted sides giving the division a fresh look, the league is going to be wide open. Do we have enough to push for promotion?

Our backline sees a lot of change, including in goal with Ryan Scully coming in from Partick Thistle to compete with Derek Gaston. They had two games each in the League Cup, so Ray McKinnon clearly hopes for competition between the two.

The only defenders remaining at the club are Lee Kilday, who missed all of last season due to injury, Jack Iredale, who had only played 14 games prior to the League Cup, and Lewis Strapp who only has five league appearances, so even the players remaining at the club give the defence a very different look from last season. Joining them are right back Reghan Tumilty, centre back Gregor Buchanan and Dundee loanee Kerr Waddell.

The early signs are that ex-Falkirk full-back Tumilty has the basic defensive competence Michael Doyle offered with more to contribute going forward, hopefully being the upgrade we're looking for. What the manager's long-term plan at centre back is remains to be seen, with Kilday, Buchanan and Waddell all being rotated so far. With such short numbers, which two are in the centre may come down to injuries and suspensions as much as which two of the three build a settled partnership.

The midfield has again seen a big overhaul, with Michael Tidser the only player remaining from last season after Gary Harkins chose to sign with Queen of the South while we were without a manager, and Andy Murdoch was surprisingly released by McKinnon. Chris Millar and Jim McAlister both make their return to Cappielow to add to their 214 & 272 appearances respectively. They're joined by Charlie Telfer, who worked with Ray McKinnon at Dundee United, and American Kyle Thomson.

Millar has been one of the best performers at St Johnstone throughout their time as a solid top flight side, with his reduction in playing time seemingly more due to a falling out with Tommy Wright than any fitness issues, so if he can continue that level of performance at Cappielow he should be a standout. McAlister has reinvented himself as a central midfield player since leaving Morton and improved for it, while Tidser has played his best football for the club in a midfield three. The combination of Millar's defensive awareness, McAlister's energy and Tidser's creativity should give one of the best midfields in the league, but with Millar at 35, McAlister returning from a leg break at 32 and Tidser have stop start seasons in the last two years, how often will the three play together?

Most games so far suggest that we'll be setting up in a 4-3-3/4-5-1, with Telfer and Motherwell loanee Ross McLean playing either side of the midfield three. Telfer could also play in the centre, with 22 year old Thomson the alternative holding option to Millar.

Having taken over with Bob McHugh and Robert Thomson already signed up, McKinnon has given a new deal to Gary Oliver and brought in Connor Bell from Inverness Caledonian Thistle and the returning Denny Johnstone to fill out his attacking options.

Morton fans know all about Johnstone after his 17 goals in the 2015/16 season. We're still to see him in action since his return, but after two seasons spent at Colchester and St. Johnstone we can hope that his tests at different levels have seen him come back a better player.

With Robert Thomson also injured we can't say yet if McKinnon sees him more as an alternative wide option to McLean and Telfer or as another centre forward. Having worked together before at Brechin, we'll be hoping that he can get the best out of him after a frustrating first season. Gary Oliver is in a similar position, with the second striker role he performed under Jim Duffy not likely to be used under McKinnon. As he's not suited to playing as a lone striker, he'll have to adjust to make himself a useful option out wide if he wants to play regularly.

McHugh and Bell and likely to be vying for the role of second choice to Johnstone and will need to make the most of whatever opportunities they get to displace him.

How is this side likely to perform in an unpredictable division? While the starting eleven is strong, with a midfield strong enough to challenge for the title, it's also one of the smallest squads in the league. Much will come down to fitness - where the likes of Dunfermline, Ross County and Dundee United have the budget to build the depth to withstand injuries, Morton are only a couple of injuries away from relying on youth players in any position. An injury crisis could see a playoff battle at the wrong end of the division, but we have the comfort of having more reputable Championship players than other potential relegation candidates. While there's a strong chance of our lack of depth harming our promotion playoff chances along the way, we can hope that our quality in midfield and having a proven centre forward can see us comfortably mid-table.

Happy new season from the Admin team! Our resident writer has outlined Morton's strengths and weaknesses ahead of tomorrow's Championship curtain raiser against Queen of the South.

2018/19 Season Preview

We have a new manager for the first time in four years and 11 new signings have come along with him, so it's going to be an interesting season seeing how the new players fit in. Here's a look at our hopes for the season ahead of the league opener this Saturday against Queen of the South.

With two newly relegated and two newly promoted sides giving the division a fresh look, the league is going to be wide open. Do we have enough to push for promotion?

Our backline sees a lot of change, including in goal with Ryan Scully coming in from Partick Thistle to compete with Derek Gaston. They had two games each in the League Cup, so Ray McKinnon clearly hopes for competition between the two.

The only defenders remaining at the club are Lee Kilday, who missed all of last season due to injury, Jack Iredale, who had only played 14 games prior to the League Cup, and Lewis Strapp who only has five league appearances, so even the players remaining at the club give the defence a very different look from last season. Joining them are right back Reghan Tumilty, centre back Gregor Buchanan and Dundee loanee Kerr Waddell.

The early signs are that ex-Falkirk full-back Tumilty has the basic defensive competence Michael Doyle offered with more to contribute going forward, hopefully being the upgrade we're looking for. What the manager's long-term plan at centre back is remains to be seen, with Kilday, Buchanan and Waddell all being rotated so far. With such short numbers, which two are in the centre may come down to injuries and suspensions as much as which two of the three build a settled partnership.

The midfield has again seen a big overhaul, with Michael Tidser the only player remaining from last season after Gary Harkins chose to sign with Queen of the South while we were without a manager, and Andy Murdoch was surprisingly released by McKinnon. Chris Millar and Jim McAlister both make their return to Cappielow to add to their 214 & 272 appearances respectively. They're joined by Charlie Telfer, who worked with Ray McKinnon at Dundee United, and American Kyle Thomson.

Millar has been one of the best performers at St Johnstone throughout their time as a solid top flight side, with his reduction in playing time seemingly more due to a falling out with Tommy Wright than any fitness issues, so if he can continue that level of performance at Cappielow he should be a standout. McAlister has reinvented himself as a central midfield player since leaving Morton and improved for it, while Tidser has played his best football for the club in a midfield three. The combination of Millar's defensive awareness, McAlister's energy and Tidser's creativity should give one of the best midfields in the league, but with Millar at 35, McAlister returning from a leg break at 32 and Tidser have stop start seasons in the last two years, how often will the three play together?

Most games so far suggest that we'll be setting up in a 4-3-3/4-5-1, with Telfer and Motherwell loanee Ross McLean playing either side of the midfield three. Telfer could also play in the centre, with 22 year old Thomson the alternative holding option to Millar.

Having taken over with Bob McHugh and Robert Thomson already signed up, McKinnon has given a new deal to Gary Oliver and brought in Connor Bell from Inverness Caledonian Thistle and the returning Denny Johnstone to fill out his attacking options.

Morton fans know all about Johnstone after his 17 goals in the 2015/16 season. We're still to see him in action since his return, but after two seasons spent at Colchester and St. Johnstone we can hope that his tests at different levels have seen him come back a better player.

With Robert Thomson also injured we can't say yet if McKinnon sees him more as an alternative wide option to McLean and Telfer or as another centre forward. Having worked together before at Brechin, we'll be hoping that he can get the best out of him after a frustrating first season. Gary Oliver is in a similar position, with the second striker role he performed under Jim Duffy not likely to be used under McKinnon. As he's not suited to playing as a lone striker, he'll have to adjust to make himself a useful option out wide if he wants to play regularly.

McHugh and Bell and likely to be vying for the role of second choice to Johnstone and will need to make the most of whatever opportunities they get to displace him.

How is this side likely to perform in an unpredictable division? While the starting eleven is strong, with a midfield strong enough to challenge for the title, it's also one of the smallest squads in the league. Much will come down to fitness - where the likes of Dunfermline, Ross County and Dundee United have the budget to build the depth to withstand injuries, Morton are only a couple of injuries away from relying on youth players in any position. An injury crisis could see a playoff battle at the wrong end of the division, but we have the comfort of having more reputable Championship players than other potential relegation candidates. While there's a strong chance of our lack of depth harming our promotion playoff chances along the way, we can hope that our quality in midfield and having a proven centre forward can see us comfortably mid-table.

Too long; didn’t read.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I chose 7th based on the single game I've seen.

I think we will have a slow first quarter, but once we have a proven centre forward up front rather than McHugh then I'm confident we will be fine and finish well. Middle to front we look very impressive. I'm concerned about our lack of depth in both full back areas and our lack of quality in goal though.

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Good read and fair assessment.

Gaston only played 1 league cup game though, Scully played the other 3!

For me, there is no reason why we can't finish 3rd or 4th. Ross County and Dunfermline look like they will be strong and could be top 2 but i don't think we have anything to fear at all. Getting off to a good start by beating Queens and Alloa would be ideal.

He is still talking about adding 1 or 2 more, if we do, I'm confident we will be in or around the playoffs come the end of the season.

As it stands I’ve went for 4th. Some teams looking strong with real depth aswell so would be happy with 4th as I reckon we can on our day beat any team.

I worry about lack of depth as a bunch of injuries could see us slide down the league easily.

With the current squad we have i have chosen 6th place as we are really lacking any depth to the squad. A couple more signings and i'd probably bump that up a bit.

There's so many interchangeable teams in the league this year that you could probably put all the teams besides Alloa in any position and be able to come up with a valid argument for it.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I've said 7th, but it's pretty much down to lack of depth and I wouldn't be surprised to see us higher. If we can keep Johnstone and the first choice midfield fit we should be challenging for the playoffs, but the lack of cover is likely to catch up with us. We should absolutely be finishing closer to 4th than 9th though.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Went with 5th. I’d expect us to be challenging for the playoffs and a place over/under that wouldn’t overly surprise me. A couple more quality signings and a good start to the league campaign might make me think differently, but I think we’ll be a bit slow out the gates.

Dunfermline are my favourites for the league.

Went with 5th. I’d expect us to be challenging for the playoffs and a place over/under that wouldn’t overly surprise me. A couple more quality signings and a good start to the league campaign might make me think differently, but I think we’ll be a bit slow out the gates.

Dunfermline are my favourites for the league.

The Pars are looking good, they're a model to emulate. Crazy when you think our respective positions in the promotion season.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived