Match Preview/Thread - Arbroath vs Morton (20th April) - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Arbroath vs Morton (20th April)

2 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

Is O'Connor leaving this summer? 

He's out of contract if that's what you mean. No word on any renewals yet.

EOho8Pw.png

Championship football confirmed for next season. Time to thank a few of these players for their efforts and wish them well, but if we want to do better going forward we’ll need to improve the squad. 

5 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

No reason we shouldn't be aiming for 5th in the interim. Difference between 8th and 5th is about fifty grand, give or take.

Indeed. Although at the same time, just...thank f**k for that win today. What a bonkers season.

• Upvote 1

Quitongo did well off the bench, Mullen was solid when called on but there was very little else to take from that. A very welcome result but the slump in performance levels was not reversed today. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Much better first 15 minutes of the 2nd half but out with that it was pretty grim.  Amazing how bad the first touch of most of the players is. Quitongo did well and Mullen was great 1st half. 

Championship football confirmed but overall a really disappointing season. Still stand by that it's time for a bit of clear out. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Scott said:

Championship football confirmed for next season. Time to thank a few of these players for their efforts and wish them well, but if we want to do better going forward we’ll need to improve the squad. 

Yes I agree but going forward we need a bigger squad with better quality  surely we won't make the same mistake with numbers next season.

Big B

57 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

He's out of contract if that's what you mean. No word on any renewals yet.

I mean that he's been firmly behind Broadfoot in the pecking order (and French at right back for that matter). Is Imrie going to be keen on renewing his deal if he can't get in the team as it is, or is O'Connor going to be keen to stay if he hasn't been starting? If Imrie doesn't have faith in O'Connor to renew his partnership with Baird at the back at this point in the season, does that mean he knows he's not keeping him/he's not staying?

It was idle speculation, really, but I couldn't be bothered writing the rest of that out at the time. 

29 minutes ago, Brian Skelton said:

Yes I agree but going forward we need a bigger squad with better quality  surely we won't make the same mistake with numbers next season.

We can't have both better quality and a bigger squad within a sustainable budget. We will have to choose between one or the other, and I'd be prioritising quality because the potential benefit is much higher. 

We have had squad options during the slump in the final part of this season but combined with starters,  they simply didn't deliver. That's not a numbers issue. 

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

47 minutes ago, DumfriesTon said:

Championship football confirmed but overall a really disappointing season.  

It's been the metaphorical roller coaster, but the mid-season run when we were firing on all cylinders was magnificent and thoroughly enjoyable. And we've still got every chance of finishing 5th, the same as last season which was generally considered a good one. 

A very mixed season for sure, but to call it really disappointing is a bit unfair, IMO.

As with all close-seasons, who we let go and acquire will be critical. 

Edited by Cet Homme Charmant

That was a pretty awful performance, especially the first half.  Astonishing how many of our players have a dreadful first touch.  We improved after HT but having got two in front, that goal we conceded was painful to watch.

Quitongo showed flashes of his former self and did well to set up the goal, but his finishing is awful. Two good strikes by Crawford & Oakley and we should have built on that and been out of sight.

I think it's time Broadfoor hung up his boots, and I don't think French is the same player that Dundee fans raved about.  We could get into 5th place and that means more money, some of which should be used to upgrade some of the players who could only manage 5th place...

Excellent stream for us (£20 a bit steep but that's for a month of games if you're so inclined).  Good sharp picture, far better than we get for home games - I think the equipment used for our home games, particularly whatever the camera is mounted on, is maybe not up to professional standards (or it's sitting on a wobbly bit of floor).

I hope for once we keep up some momentum and don't down tools before the end of the season as normally happens.  I also hope Dougie has plans to improve the team because we need improvement.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Job done and that's the main thing it wasn't pretty but I didn't think it would be. 

French, Broadfoot etc shouldn't be anywhere near this level hopefully we can recruit better as the signings this season have been very hit or miss. 

19 minutes ago, RossMcC1874 said:

Job done and that's the main thing it wasn't pretty but I didn't think it would be. 

French, Broadfoot etc shouldn't be anywhere near this level hopefully we can recruit better as the signings this season have been very hit or miss. 

I actually thought Kirk was very solid today. But yeah, another season in the Championship at his age is probably a bridge too far.

1 hour ago, SpoonTon said:

I mean that he's been firmly behind Broadfoot in the pecking order (and French at right back for that matter). Is Imrie going to be keen on renewing his deal if he can't get in the team as it is, or is O'Connor going to be keen to stay if he hasn't been starting? If Imrie doesn't have faith in O'Connor to renew his partnership with Baird at the back at this point in the season, does that mean he knows he's not keeping him/he's not staying?

It was idle speculation, really, but I couldn't be bothered writing the rest of that out at the time. 

Yeah, it's a tough one. Maybe they've talked about it and O'Connor now has a path to the first team as Kirk's older, or maybe Imrie feels Kirk has another year in him, or maybe he just doesn't rate O'Connor, or maybe O'Connor doesn't want to risk another year on the bench. No idea what the situation is.

EOho8Pw.png

A painfully mid-table performance from Greenock 'mid-table' Morton.

Looking forward to next week to (presumably) give a fair few of these lads a decent send off for their efforts. We had some great entertainment in the middle part of the season, but a squad refresh is required.

Job done, ultimately. Shouldn't have made such hard work of that after the start to the second half where you thought we could go on to add more, but aside from a couple of individuals who were poor throughout, the second half performance was much better than the first. Gillespie had his best performance in a long time, Muirhead went through quiet spells but when he was involved was much better than he's been in recent weeks, Quitongo had an end product for a change, Crawford got his first goal since October, Waters was solid.

Have to consider that we were up against the worst team in the division and had we been playing anyone else we probably wouldn't have made it to half-time level, which we had Mullen to thank for, so we'll still need to improve considerably to take anything from Raith, but at least the risk of collapsing into 9th is now gone.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

2 hours ago, TopCat said:

Looking forward to next week to (presumably) give a fair few of these lads a decent send off for their efforts. We had some great entertainment in the middle part of the season, but a squad refresh is required.

Hopefully we can get Strapp and Oakley signed up again. I have the fear that if we don't, they'll appear at Cappielow next season wearing Falkirk tops.