2024/25 Squad and Transfers - Page 9 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

2024/25 Squad and Transfers

I don't think it's a surprise that players like Crawford, Oakley, and Muirhead are being linked with other clubs from the point of view that we know that Dougie would want to keep them and none of them signed extensions to their contracts at any point. We've shown in the last year or two that we're happy to get players signed on for the following season. 

Looks like we could have big turnover for next season. I don't think that's particularly great news. There can be disagreement over how valuable each of those players are, but we know that none of them are awful.

59 minutes ago, irnbru said:

Would have thought some players are waiting to see how the playoffs, etc go before committing to anything too. 

Likely. Doesn't really have a bearing on the club making their announcement with a list of released and those offered a deal.

Muirhead linked with a move to livingston

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

12 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

Jimmy Gourlay acting as his agent, i believe. 

🤣

Best wishes to both of them. Power I'm sure could do a job a division or two down, and I hope French can somehow recover his potential.

EOho8Pw.png

15 minutes ago, Cappiecat 1.2 said:

That article also mentions outside interest being shown in Cameron Blues as well.

With the demise of 12ftladder, I've found a new tool to get past paywalls; smry.ai

Thanks Cappiecat, wondered what had happened to 12ftladder

• Upvote 1

As it stands for the new season:

_____________Mullen

New____Baird____New_____New

_________Wilson___New

New_________New_________New

_____________Davies

Subs: Murdoch, Bearne, O'Boy, King

I expect at least a few will re-sign, but with nothing decided yet and a few linked with moves it could be an interesting summer ahead. 

1 hour ago, SpoonTon said:

As it stands for the new season:

_____________Mullen

New____Baird____New_____New

_________Wilson___New

New_________New_________New

_____________Davies

Subs: Murdoch, Bearne, O'Boy, King

I expect at least a few will re-sign, but with nothing decided yet and a few linked with moves it could be an interesting summer ahead. 

I'll admit to being a panic merchant on this occasion but even now I've a really bad feeling about next season.  

• Upvote 1

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

33 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

I'll admit to being a panic merchant on this occasion but even now I've a really bad feeling about next season.  

Far too early for that talk. Let's see who we retain from the current squad and then what incoming signings there is. Hopefully we have something resembling a squad by the start of the league Cup section.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mr.Blue said:

Far too early for that talk. Let's see who we retain from the current squad and then what incoming signings there is. Hopefully we have something resembling a squad by the start of the league Cup section.

I know it is and i hope my fears are unfounded.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

3 hours ago, Toby said:

Not much been said about Livingston (and perhaps St. Johnstone/Ross County) picking up a £1 million UEFA solidarity payment on top of a completely unmerited parachute payment.

It’s the often overlooked reason why supporting Scottish clubs in Europe does us no good whatsoever. It’s very easy to say that Celtic coining £30 million in Champions League money is shite, but the drip-down effect is also rotten.

Thankfully, Scotland’s beginning to fall down the rankings a bit, but that can easily change quickly with Rangers more likely to get regular Europa League football rather than Champions League hosings.

The stronger Scotland’s performances in Europe, the more likely we are to see the Premiership becoming the reserve of no more than 14 clubs, and the Championship title race becoming a procession, if that isn’t already the case, with perennial Championship clubs like ourselves losing every tiny piece of hope we may previously have had.

A really crap state of affairs, but reason, if we ever needed it to vociferously back whatever team of Sammarinese waiters St. Mirren draw in the Conference League Qualifiers.

Livi are engaged in a legal battle (or are about to be) with believed costs of near 700k, so that's 1 mil pretty much spunked. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

10 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

There's been talk in recent years that we've held off signing players to avoid paying them an extra month or so of wages. In the way club is being run currently I'd be shocked if that was true but you can understand the logic behind it. However, drawing The Rangers away proved it's absolutely worth trying to progress. 

Somewhat of a highlight that away day from the season gone by. Leading at Ibrox is never a bad feeling and coming away feeling a bit dejected not to have gotten more from the game. I reckon if we had Strapp and a few less injuries we could've been looking at a win that day. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

We struggled to have a full squad come the league Cup let's hope that's not the case this time. 

We may lose a lot more players than last season but I trust Imrie to bring in the right type of players I also hope we try and do our business slightly early this season with an increased budget by all accounts.

I think it's also really important for us to use the loan market with a bigger clear our than normal looking likely we have the chance to get some young players in from top clubs who can be starters. 

4 minutes ago, RossMcC1874 said:

I think it's also really important for us to use the loan market with a bigger clear our than normal looking likely we have the chance to get some young players in from top clubs who can be starters. 

I'm less inclined to trust this sort of thing these days since the reserve leagues got canned off. Now you're looking at players who either don't play regular football even at reserve level as there's no system set up or players who couldn't get near the top of the lowland league with their respective 'B team'. The Celtic B team we played a couple of years ago were dreadful, and none of their loanees to this level over the past couple years have done much damage.

Find it hard to believe we'd find another Jamie Lindsay or Declan McManus type deal in the current market, but hopefully I'm wrong.