Match Preview/Thread - Partick vs Morton (16th March) - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Partick vs Morton (16th March)

Once again we don't look like scoring even if we played until the dunfermline game.

I'm really surprised by imries selections here, if he went the same shape and personel as Monday night then fair enough but moving French into CM is a head scratcher and it's clearly not working.

Hoping that he makes use of the 3 attacking players he has on the bench get some width on the park and attack this fragile partick defence that haven't kept a clean sheet in 8 games.  We cant be going 5 games without a goal.

Edited by Chesh

Im making perfect sense, your just not keeping up.

My Twitter - 
https://twitter.com/RJChesh

I've seen managers get the brainwave to move full backs into holding midfield before and it usually goes terribly, but at least you can often see the thought process in those full backs being good passers of the ball so might be able to spray it around from midfield. I think French genuinely has the worst distribution of any professional footballer I've ever seen including goalkeepers, and he's predictably been even more abysmal than usual.

The goal though is entirely on Power. Absolutely brainless to try to bring it down and take a touch with the ball dropping in that area of the park with Graham a yard away from it him, he was always more likely to lose it than keep it and there's nothing anyone else can do about it once Graham's away from Power. It had been coming though, we've looked lost since kick-off.

The feeling without Oakley has been that we're beaten as soon as we're behind, and we've had even less attacking threat here than we've had in any of the last four games with Gillespie also having no idea what he's doing in an advanced role and no width. With Broadfoot on a booking get him off for Garrity and reshuffle everyone else into their real positions.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

2-0.

Be nice if we could score again someday.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Sticking with that 11 after watching that half of football was very questionable 

And we've gotten what we deserved.

We need to be careful we don't freefall down the league we could be 5 points ahead of 9th at the end of the day and no idea where the next 3 points are coming from.

Edited by Chesh
  • Downvote 1

My Twitter - 

1 minute ago, Chesh said:

Sticking with that 11 after watching that half of football was very questionable 

And we've gotten what we deserved.

We need to be careful we don't freefall down the league we could be 5 points ahead of 9th at the end of the day and no idea where the next 3 points are coming from.

Behave: when Oakley's fit we'll be fine. It was less than a month ago that the consensus (wrongly) was to hand out new contracts all round to reward our unbeaten run - we can't have it both ways. 

That said, any experiment of Tyler French dictating possession from central midfield needs to be launched into the sea with no follow-up investigation.

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Strapp was the only one of the starting XI getting pass marks and he's off as well. Fucking nonsense.

• Upvote 1

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

9 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Behave: when Oakley's fit we'll be fine. It was less than a month ago that the consensus (wrongly) was to hand out new contracts all round to reward our unbeaten run - we can't have it both ways. 

That said, any experiment of Tyler French dictating possession from central midfield needs to be launched into the sea with no follow-up investigation.

So we are placing our entire season on 1 guy?  What happens if he get injured again what's the plan b?

Because the last 5 games including today is relegation form with Dougie placing such little faith in his attacking options that he would prefer to play arguablly our worst defender in terms of ball distribution and general control in French in CM so that Crawford can play higher up the park. 

My Twitter - 

1 minute ago, Chesh said:

So we are placing our entire season on 1 guy?  What happens if he get injured again what's the plan b?

Because the last 5 games including today is relegation form with Dougie placing such little faith in his attacking options that he would prefer to play arguablly our worst defender in terms of ball distribution and general control in French in CM so that Crawford can play higher up the park. 

Plan B is we bring COVID back and get the season curtailed.

EOho8Pw.png

Poor performance today. So passive it's unreal. You'd expect the team to be really up for this given we could have moved level on points with Partick. Muirhead totally anonymous for large parts of the game and not having another alternative when Oakley is out is killing us.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

5 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Poor performance today. So passive it's unreal. You'd expect the team to be really up for this given we could have moved level on points with Partick. Muirhead totally anonymous for large parts of the game and not having another alternative when Oakley is out is killing us.

I just wonder if the team were'nt sure themselves when they learned of their positions today.

Apart from that..I always had the fear for this game considering our player options.

Real fight now starting Sat if we want to keep our play-off hopes alive.

Airdrie got the bit between their teeth.

Utterly appalling and that one's on Imrie for his team selection/formation. Gillespie in an attacking midfielder role and French in CDM ffs. That starting XI has absolutely no pace and it showed with getting into their half about 4 times in the whole 1st half. Stupidity from Power for the 1st but it was coming. For some reason we were dicking around playing cute little passes and we'd had a few warnings before the goal. Especially on a pitch like that just clear your lines. 

Subs made a difference, especially Bearne who should be playing more. He has pace and can run at a defence and so unlucky with a great header off the bar. Bizarre he's not been playing more. Better option than Gillespie/Blues/Crawford out wide. 

Not good enough and we're utterly toothless without Oakley with Muirhead putting in a shocking performance. I'm hopeful that once Oakley is back we will be fine but we could have really made the playoff spots ours in the last few weeks but we're now back to a proper battle. Hopefully ICT continue to be shite and keep us away from 9th.

That was atrocious stuff, again, today. The whole team have looked absolutely dead on their feet for a few weeks now. Their first goal Mullen needs to do better. It's an obvious mistake from Power in the middle of the park but I'm loathed to be too critical of the only guy in the middle or on the pitch in general who's willing to take the ball down and try play football. Less said about the second goal the better.

Muirhead must do better in the 1 v 1 situation. He done all the hard work well, arguably more than he had to do. Just fucking shoot.

We never really looked like scoring and haven't done pretty much since Oakley got injured. We're very one dimensional with a real lack of pace.

Given ourselves a hard task now with a bare bones squad.

Edited by TONofmemories

TIME FOR CHANGE!

If we want to start winning again we need to stop with this long ball tactic it was never going to work today. We are so negative and passive, French in midfield was crazy the guy can't even play his natural position let alone in midfield the 5 at the back worked against Hearts but when your playing a team who's form is as poor as ours and leak goals you need to have much more of a go at them than that piss poor. 

Garrity made a difference and when we used the wings we played better, Partick weren't great but they didn't have to be.

Won’t sleep tonight thinking about French playing centre mid.

I may be misinterpreting but I thought he was apologising to the fans at the end. Seemed to make a point of emerging from the bench to clap the fans and then raising his hands (not in a waving to his maw way).

• Upvote 1

Wasn’t surprised when I saw the line up and felt confident that if we worked as hard as we did in the Hearts game then we’d get at least a point. Two problems with that though is that firstly, it was clear that the same motivation was not there for the Partick game as the Hearts game and secondly, the strange choices of who played which role in this awful performance. Big hole at right back for parts of the first half as Darragh was so far up the park and French in a midfield role he wasn’t capable of, maybe fortunate we weren’t punished more at times. Looked better when the young lads came on and had a go resulting in a goal that was just too little too late.

Absolute comedy listening to some of the fans giving Blues grief. I’ve defended him before and I will again. In a game with very little to be happy about Blues was the scapegoat with one guy saying he has been awful for the last 4 games. Kinda feels like you’re blaming the same player for 4 defeats and let’s be honest, he has not been our worst player by any stretch. Just seems to be the easy target for folk

1 hour ago, Drew Busby's Moustache said:

I just wonder if the team were'nt sure themselves when they learned of their positions today.

Apart from that..I always had the fear for this game considering our player options.

Real fight now starting Sat if we want to keep our play-off hopes alive.

Airdrie got the bit between their teeth.

There are always some bizarre comments after defeats but I've never seen anything as bad as this.  You do realise that they will have been doing patterns of play for most of the week based on the team selection.  Or do you think they all turn up on Saturday to see which number shirt the manager will give them.

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw