Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Arbroath (26th January) - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Arbroath (26th January)

Made hard work of that in the first half but better in the second. 

Another win and a clean sheet. Thought Crawford was superb again today and was everywhere. Have been surprised to see Garrity getting on before Mcgrattan and Bearne in recent weeks but he looked good today.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Garrity has improved us significantly in the last 2 games. Good to see his loan spell has paid off and he's kicking on. 

Edited by GiGi
  • Upvote 2

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Bit of a training game in the end and we picked up after we scored the second  but the whole performance and atmosphere was a bit flat all round. More than happy to win games like that 3-0 though so well done to the players. 

Game was crying out for some width and directness from the moment they went down to 10 men. We played right in to their hands until the garrity change. Felt a bit sorry for blues being expected to be the creativity on the left at a time when his skillset wasn't needed out there. He was much better when he moved centrally. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Mediocre performance until we got the second, then we seemed to relax and play football. The long ball stuff is turgid for the most part. We are better than that. Wait till these young players fet a bit more experience and we will be a very good team.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Actually think that we missed Broadfoots composure on the ball in the backline today. He is happy to step into midfield with the ball and drive us up the park. Baird and O’Connor both want to shell it at every opportunity 

12 minutes ago, Cat10 said:

Actually think that we missed Broadfoots composure on the ball in the backline today. He is happy to step into midfield with the ball and drive us up the park. Baird and O’Connor both want to shell it at every opportunity 

Thought that too. 

Yeah I thought we missed Broadfoots composure and line breaking passes at times too. I thought French was really poor especially in the first half with him being quite weak and constantly caught under the ball putting himself in trouble. I'm still yet to see this lightning speed we were promised too. He improved in the second half when Arbroath were tired and there was space for him to play balls down the channels. 

You can't argue with our defensive record in recent weeks but I'd still like to see O'Connor out there as I think he's better defensively, in aeriel battles and even offensively.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Another clean sheet three goals and three points. The run continues we started poorly but grew into the game subs made the difference and in the end it could n probably should have been 5 or 6 nil. Motm for me was Wilson another excellent performance. 

Was obvious we needed some pace and natural width all game, especially when they went down to 10 men. I thought Blues was much better when he went into the middle but was completely lost out wide. Haven't been impressed with him out wide since he has been there and would much prefer Garrity/McGrattan/Bearne out there instead.

3-0 is a great result regardless of Arbroath's situation and we handled the 2nd half much better. 8 clean sheets in 11 games is bloody impressive. 

• Upvote 1

First half was really poor and we struggled to break them down. 

Second half much more like it and for me Garrity was MOTM brilliant when he came on not seen much of him but he was outstanding today. 

Clean sheet and three points was the main thing today they are a shower of dirty B'S so much for us being the dirty team. 

I know French is still holding back but there was one point in the second half where he got back like shit out of a shovel I haven't seen pace like that in a long time,lets hope we see more of it. 

5 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Previous, gutless, loser managers - see Gus 'slaphead' McPherson, James Grady, Jonatan Johansson or Raymond 'Ray' McKinnon - would be looking for a lap of honour and an end of the ground named after them for achieving such a margin of result with pishy wee Morton in second tier Scottish football.

In stark contrast, an ambitious and highly competent manager calls out performance levels, when he knows that the underlying confidence level in the squad is strong enough to respond effectively. While on the longest unbeaten streak at this level since the 1980s.

The contrast between a real fucking manager with goals and standards to the parade of imposters we have had previously couldn't be more stark right now. Long may it continue. That said, the club needs to take note of the key attributes that took Imrie over the top in the selection process, for when the inevitable happens and Sir Douglas moves to a (potentially much) higher level. If he had the player CV of 'Scott Brown, football manager - 'ambitious' club' then he'd already be the Hibs or Aberdeen manager.

100% agreed, VT. I’ve said it before on here = future Scotland national team manager right here amongst us.

Imrie's spot on to call out the first half performance, really flat and devoid of ideas. Garrity coming on saw us stretch the game much more easily in the second half and we were ultimately well worth the win while the margin could have been more comfortable, once we scored it was a question of how many. Good to have real attacking depth on the bench just now with almost everyone fit.

You can tell the squads' feet will be kept on the ground with Imrie’s tone there, but we've got a brilliant chance to kick on with the upcoming games. We've already established a gap to 10th that would require a total collapse to end up worrying about it and we should be looking to pull away from mid-table now. Beat Dunfermline and we'll be in a very healthy position.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Reliably informed that Blues cracked a joke in his hospitality interview about being the worst winger in Morton's history. I thought he looked visibly stressed at times yesterday at the idea of dribbling past his man.

I am not the biggest fan of Blues but he continues to do the job asked of him by the manager. My reading of it is Imrie trusts Blues, even when playing out of his favoured position, more than the 'natural' wide men in the squad. At times you can see Blues holding back not wanting to be caught out in a counter-attack in contrast to his frequent runs into the box when he started at the club playing in the centre of the park. In the end the results of late are what count. 

Watched back the highlights and the only decision referee got wrong yesterday was chopping off our goal for a foul on the keeper.

Have to admit I feel for blues as he is being played in a position that isn't natural to him but he's giving his all and Dougie is making that decision for a reason.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Blues on the right has been working perfectly well prior to yesterday. I understand the desire to switch the wingers when things are flat and see if we get more joy from inverting them, but I don't think you can do it with Blues - he is never going to be comfortable playing on the left, through no fault of his own. Certainly wouldn't be tearing things up and concluding Blues out wide in general doesn't work based on yesterday though. There is however a decent argument for Garrity getting a start after his performance.

• Upvote 1

Oh Lord, Brian Wake