Championship 23/24 - Page 14 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Championship 23/24

2 hours ago, port-ton said:

It might not be the same now but in the Dougie era I remember being around the stadium one match one day for some reason and it came up that the club had to buy kits for the mascots at full price from Smiths like any other customer. 

Not sure that's all that surprising.

1 hour ago, Hej said:

Derek Adams leaves Ross County. I've got the fear...

What a clusterfuck of an appointment that was. Imrie will have his sight set on something better for his next move. 

Edited by Scott

1 minute ago, Scott said:

What a clusterfuck of an appointment that was. Imrie will have his sight set on something better for his next move. 

Ross County is an easy introduction to the SPFL Premier League.  There won't be much in the way of expectations, other than avoid relegation, the money will be decent, little pressure and you get to live in a nice corner of the world.

If they come calling, it would be a good move for him, however why would Ross County pay us compensation when they can got the pick of dozens of available managers wanting back into the game.

• Upvote 2

*insert signature here*

6 hours ago, capitanus said:

Ross County is an easy introduction to the SPFL Premier League.  There won't be much in the way of expectations, other than avoid relegation, the money will be decent, little pressure and you get to live in a nice corner of the world.

If they come calling, it would be a good move for him, however why would Ross County pay us compensation when they can got the pick of dozens of available managers wanting back into the game.

I agree. He'd be a great fit there but they're more likely to look elsewhere. 

EOho8Pw.png

I hope they wouldn't be looking at Imrie and might want someone with slightly more experience but it would be fairly stupid to over look him. 

He has done wonders here on a small budget, has got a squad who will run though brick walls for him and has improved the club so much in the short time he has been here, yes they would need to pay compensation but I wouldn't imagine that would put them off if they were interested. 

Don Cowie appointed as 'interim' manager.

Announcement as clear as mud with no detail of whether that's caretaker until they go through a recruitment process, until the end of the season or whatever.

Edited by Jamie_M

Ross County are exactly the type of team that I'd be worried about losing Dougie to. Teams like Aberdeen, Hibs, and Hearts don't come looking for managers from clubs like ours. Dougie would need to establish Morton in the Premiership before they'd look at him. Clubs like Ross County would be his most likely option of a step up. There's maybe a chance of League Two in England or something like that, but I'm not sure how realistic that would be either. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Ross County are exactly the type of team that I'd be worried about losing Dougie to. Teams like Aberdeen, Hibs, and Hearts don't come looking for managers from clubs like ours. Dougie would need to establish Morton in the Premiership before they'd look at him. Clubs like Ross County would be his most likely option of a step up. There's maybe a chance of League Two in England or something like that, but I'm not sure how realistic that would be either. 

I know loyalty is no guarantee in football and ultimately,  money talks.

But I genuinely believe that Dougie will want to finish what he started , until the end of this season at least,  with Morton

2 hours ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

I know loyalty is no guarantee in football and ultimately,  money talks.

But I genuinely believe that Dougie will want to finish what he started , until the end of this season at least,  with Morton

I'd certainly like to think that this is the case, but managers also know that their stock can rise and fall very quickly in football and opportunities to make a move up can be hard to come by. I'd hope that Dougie would see an opportunity here in the next few months that would outweigh the risk of Ross County in their current state, and I'd also hope that Ross County will sets their sights elsewhere, but I could understand if Dougie was tempted by a move like that. 

Ross County in their current predicament aren't really a step up from a resurgent Morton.  I would hope Dougie would get us promoted next season, or even this season with a playoff win against, em... Ross County.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

24 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Ross County in their current predicament aren't really a step up from a resurgent Morton.  I would hope Dougie would get us promoted next season, or even this season with a playoff win against, em... Ross County.

County have a wealthy backer who is very patient and a recent history of top flight football, and even cup success. Morton do not have any of these things. I am full of admiration for how both MCT and Dougie have gone about things but without Dougie there's every chance our budgetary position begins to show itself and we end up in League 1 as often as not. County would be a significant step up from Morton in every respect except perhaps fan expectations and if Imrie wanted to climb the managerial ladder to a Hibs or even a Wigan or something he'd do much better in Dingwall than Greenock.

EOho8Pw.png

35 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Take the Morton shades off.

1 hour ago, TRVMP said:

County have a wealthy backer who is very patient and a recent history of top flight football, and even cup success. Morton do not have any of these things. I am full of admiration for how both MCT and Dougie have gone about things but without Dougie there's every chance our budgetary position begins to show itself and we end up in League 1 as often as not. County would be a significant step up from Morton in every respect except perhaps fan expectations and if Imrie wanted to climb the managerial ladder to a Hibs or even a Wigan or something he'd do much better in Dingwall than Greenock.

Is he that patient? Think they are on the 6th manager in under 7 years  or something like that..

1 hour ago, TRVMP said:

If 'Dingwall FC' to use their correct, FIFA 05 name are such a plum job as you claim, then why has their manager just abandoned a job for life* and flounced out after a couple of months? 

While at the start of a season everything that you state about the comparison is true, there is a time and place to make a jump and now... really isn't it. 

*owing to standard, teuchter inbred nepotism 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

30 minutes ago, Madton said:

Is he that patient? Think they are on the 6th manager in under 7 years  or something like that..

He quit, he wasn't pushed.

12 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

If 'Dingwall FC' to use their correct, FIFA 05 name are such a plum job as you claim, then why has their manager just abandoned a job for life* and flounced out after a couple of months? 

While at the start of a season everything that you state about the comparison is true, there is a time and place to make a jump and now... really isn't it. 

*owing to standard, teuchter inbred nepotism 

Given that Dougie's been given guarantees about the budget at Cappielow I'd also think twice about moving if I was him, but if we put pro-Morton bias to one side, County simply is a job that's bigger, more visible, and with less pressure.

EOho8Pw.png

I don’t think Dougie is going to walk away from a project that is not completed. Obviously money talks, but so does job satisfaction. Eventually he will move on, but I’d like to think he would want to have a real crack at promotion and with our current squad and the way we are playing, next season is currently looking bright: possibly even this season via the playoffs. If we were to go up this season, it would likely be at the expense of Ross County. I can’t see Dougie walking away from a team that had reached the top tier, not immediately anyway. Once he had top league experience, he’d be on the radar of some bigger clubs and likely would move on  Let’s just enjoy his time here for as long as we have him. He’s a breath of fresh air and without a doubt the best manager we’ve had since at least Benny Rooney.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."