Squad for next Season - Page 129 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

2 hours ago, Alibi said:

We're surely not paying for Harkness?  Is he not away back to THerangers?

I was meaning more that that it was likely 2 wages-worth we have the option to spend. In any case, the options are looking healthier now we can field a full XI in their natural positions. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, DreamOakTree said:

As an old friend of John Laird, I think that will be a battle of wits between him and Dougie.

In which case, the conflict of interest is clear. A chairman who has a conflict of interest should step down.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Not sure what plans if any we’ll have for January. Wilson could go back to QOS if his injury is long termish, Broadfoot and Boyd could be released if we have our first choices back in those positions. We also have the question of Lewis Strapp and whether we bring back Alex King. Apart from that would be looking to bring in any additions? RB, DM, Striker and possibly Winger would be on my wish list! Somehow I don’t think much of that will happen till Summer though!

• Downvote 9

As I said, I don’t think much of that will happen in January. If we could only sign one player you would think it would be a right back. If not Dougie would likely play O’Connor, Blues or McGrattan there if Wilson’s injured or back at QOS. If Strapp’s released then King coming back as cover down the left side would make sense. Don’t see Garrity coming back till summer. 

• Downvote 3

2 hours ago, Cappiecat 1.2 said:

Yeah no surprise. 

In a battle of wits you could add 50%, which is a half.

I'm saying you're a halfwit. 

Thanks, that’s about the biggest compliment I’ve had on here recently! Does that mean between John Laird and I we could persuade Dougie to keep Lewis on for the rest of the season?

• Downvote 3

Personally I think both King and Garrity should stay where they are it doesn't really makes sense to bring them back they need consistent game time if they are going to be good enough and they won't get that here. 

I can't see us keeping Strapp beyond January as much as I would love to but hopefully by then Waters will be back, French hasn't impressed me at all he looks like a rabbit in the headlights and clearly after the bad injury he is holding back. Haven't heard anything about Harkness is he still here? 

I don't expect much movement in January but wouldn't be opposed to another option upfront and if French goes back to Dundee a right back but other than that I would be happy to go as we are. 

Harkness is back at Therangers - injured without even kicking a ball, it seems.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

23 minutes ago, RossMcC1874 said:

Personally I think both King and Garrity should stay where they are it doesn't really makes sense to bring them back they need consistent game time if they are going to be good enough and they won't get that here. 

Agreed and it's also worth noting that King has not made a significant impact at all for a side playing two levels below this one. Despite the braying about not trusting in youth, Strapp's actual development path involved multiple seasons playing in the lower reaches of the SPFL and progressing before making the grade at this level. There's no prospect in our ranks that we need to jump start the process for. 

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Garrity has 4 goals in his last 6 starts and has set up a couple in that time as well, so if he continues to contribute over the next couple of games you could be looking at a 21 year old attacking player delivering the kind of numbers in League One that turn the heads of Championship clubs if he was a permanent Annan player, for all a short spell like that could easily just be a purple patch. At the same time with wins changing the perspective our attacking options suddenly look a bit better than they did 10 days ago and you'd be hoping to see Quitongo back in January as well, but I wouldn't be averse to bringing him back in and giving him a chance with that form.

No issues with King continuing to start every week in League Two as the best thing for his development rather than making a couple of 10 minute appearances a month here, but an update on Wilson's fitness should influence that decision too. If Wilson's fit at the start of January then we can be comfortable that we've got a decent bit of cover in midfield, but if he's out for a while or back to Queen of the South then there's an argument for having King back in the squad as a better cover option than O'Boy. Obviously that's dependent on what new signings are possible as well, but I'm comfortable enough that King getting regular games is the best thing for him if he stays out on loan.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

I get the above points that King and Garrity are both better served completing a season long loan period. However this would be based on all our current players being fit and having cover in all areas of the pitch. My point is that this situation would change if Strapp was allowed to leave, Wilson was injured/back at QOS, no RB is signed and Blues or McGrattan are played there. In that case we would be in need of cover down the left side, with a proven option available to bring back from loan, possibly at no/low cost.

• Downvote 6

2 hours ago, DreamOakTree said:

I get the above points that King and Garrity are both better served completing a season long loan period. However this would be based on all our current players being fit and having cover in all areas of the pitch. My point is that this situation would change if Strapp was allowed to leave, Wilson was injured/back at QOS, no RB is signed and Blues or McGrattan are played there. In that case we would be in need of cover down the left side, with a proven option available to bring back from loan, possibly at no/low cost.

Guess what colour of dot this post is getting?

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Liverpool recall Owen Beck from Dundee. One of their fans on Twitter asking if it means they'll be recalling French from us.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.