Squad for next Season - Page 124 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

Agree he needs game time but surprised it's at league two would say he is far better than that. If he starts in midfield every game then it's good experience for him but our squad is so thin at the moment it's a strange one for me I presume we have someone else coming in if he is going out. 

2 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

I could swear blind that Duffy added Stefan McCluskey to his usual coterie of ringers this summer - apparently he's inexplicably* ended up at Kelty instead. 

* only explicable in a coaching/doing the kit man job capacity - at League 1 level.

It's cool, you can top up your Clyde = tribute act list with Peter Grant, Ross Forbes and Darren Hynes.

8 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

King's the kind of player who could have popped up with 2 or 3 important goals between now and Christmas, so while it should be good for his development in terms of continuing to learn about roles, following instructions, game discipline and so on, it will definitely be a loss for us. 

He's scored 2 goals in 36 appearances at this level, which is not bad at all but makes your claim unrealistic. 

The reality is that unless the middle of the squad gets completely hollowed out by absences, King wouldn't get too much game time here this season but can get it elsewhere. I'd prefer not to have signed Wilson and prioritised support elsewhere, but that cover needed for injuries and until French signed has now left us overloaded in central midfield. 

I doubt we'd have seen King play more than 180 minutes between now and Christmas other than the Kelty game tbh. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

He's scored 2 goals in 36 appearances at this level, which is not bad at all but makes your claim unrealistic. 

The reality is that unless the middle of the squad gets completely hollowed out by absences, King wouldn't get too much game time here this season but can get it elsewhere. I'd prefer not to have signed Wilson and prioritised support elsewhere, but that cover needed for injuries and until French signed has now left us overloaded in central midfield. 

I doubt we'd have seen King play more than 180 minutes between now and Christmas other than the Kelty game tbh. 

He scored those two in the final month of last season. Quite a few of his appearances earlier last season were at left back. I'd argue that there's every indication that in the more advanced role he had improved and shown that he can be a goal threat at this level (and useful to have around the squad). 

It hopefully should be better for us in the long term, but I do think it takes something away in the short term.  If the performances of our new signings had been better then it would maybe be something I'd feel better about. 

• Upvote 1

Having someone 'useful' around the squad now (which King undeniably is) has to be traded against the benefit of playing regular, competitive, 90 minute football. I'd expect us to be down an experienced central midfielder or two in 12 months' time - preparation now is needed to help King to step up reliably instead of just the occasional cameo.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

2 hours ago, DumfriesTon said:

I don't get it unless injuries to Quitongo, Crawford and Gillespie are not as serious as what was appeared. If they're still out for a while, as well as Oakley, then we're only getting a bench of 3 or 4 including Mullen.

Dougie said that he hopes to have one or 2 back tomorrow and the other 1 or 2 who are injured to be back within the next few weeks. Hopefully that means Robbie, Oakley and Gillespie are back sooner than expected. 

• Upvote 1

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

9 hours ago, thehustler said:

Very poor decision. Release young, talented player and sign a perennially injured player from a lower league club. Some might think Imrie is deliberately ruining our season....see signing of a useless, finished centre back.

I'll bite. In what possible way would he gain from ruining our season? 

EOho8Pw.png

3 minutes ago, Hej said:

King will develop far more playing 90 every week compared to coming off the bench (maybe) at 70 minutes every week. He'll smash that league apart. 

#TRUSTINDOUGLAS

While a straightforward comparison of the scorelines today shows the stupidity of the view that a youth player, pretty capable though he is, can single-handedly change the fortunes of a team. 

1 hour ago, TRVMP said:

I'll bite. In what possible way would he gain from ruining our season? 

Obviously he wouldn't.....I just said some might think that. But persisting with Broadfoot, never mind signing him in the first place, is grounds for gross misconduct. And despite his dismal performances this season he still starts today. Credit where its due though, today was a decent point.

• Downvote 9

1 hour ago, thehustler said:

Obviously he wouldn't.....I just said some might think that. But persisting with Broadfoot, never mind signing him in the first place, is grounds for gross misconduct. And despite his dismal performances this season he still starts today. Credit where its due though, today was a decent point.

You're like a woman scorned.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

1 hour ago, thehustler said:

OK, I'll rephrase the question. If 'some people' were asked, what would they say he could possibly stand to gain from ruining our season? 

I see the means and I see the opportunity - what I'm asking for is the motive that 'some people' envision here. 

EOho8Pw.png

9 hours ago, TRVMP said:

OK, I'll rephrase the question. If 'some people' were asked, what would they say he could possibly stand to gain from ruining our season? 

I see the means and I see the opportunity - what I'm asking for is the motive that 'some people' envision here. 

He's obviously craving for attention, best not to humour him

• 2 weeks later...

Despite Dougie’s undoubted attributes and impact on our fortunes, there seems to be some sort of contrast between his handling of our young players and his recent choices of “experienced” players.
Could anyone honestly make the statement “Dougie Imrie has shown a refreshing appetite for developing Morton’s young academy recruits. Youngsters who come through the Morton system can rest assured they’ll be given every opportunity to have a career at Cappielow, as long as Imrie’s the man in charge. He just excels at showing his Young protégés the love they need to succeed!

• Downvote 2