Commercial Activity - Page 50 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Commercial Activity


Jamie_M
 Share

Recommended Posts

I’m guessing this is because of the local councillors who recently defected from the SNP to Alba. Knowing Salmond, he won’t avoid a photo opportunity with the crane and club badge in the background. While I understand the club needs to generate income, I personally don’t agree with parties using the club as a promotional tool.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For me this is about potential long term "damage" with the possibility of some investors or sponsor's seeing it as some sort of support for the Alba party (or any other political party who may choose to hire the facilities) and therefore pulling out.

Let me say this, I have no liking or support for any political party so my stance has noting to do with individuals or their beliefs. I just don't think politics should be part of sport.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TONofmemories said:

Imagine this was a tory pop up. There'd be  war. Far better we distance ourselves from these weirdos 

I wouldn't care about the clubs function suites hosting a tory event, a Labour event, SNP event or Alba event because its Cappielow the function suites that's hosting it and not Greenock Morton football club. 

I can't lie and say that there's not a slight tinge of unease regarding the Club Secretary of Morton (who's one of the best in the business BTW) being brothers with a member of the political party that Cappielow is hosting, purely because that then does open up the argument to some that the club are endorsing a certain political party. 

Either way if Cappielow is going to be renting out event space in a competitive market then they shouldn't be turning away business because of fans political views. It's not like tories, SNP and Labour members are going to turn up to this and be convinced to vote Alba. It's a one night echo chamber for people who already support them. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

 

32.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

For me this is about potential long term "damage" with the possibility of some investors or sponsor's seeing it as some sort of support for the Alba party (or any other political party who may choose to hire the facilities) and therefore pulling out.

Let me say this, I have no liking or support for any political party so my stance has noting to do with individuals or their beliefs. I just don't think politics should be part of sport.

It's not a part of sport in this case though, I'd be extremely surprised to see Morton mention this at all. For me there's a big difference between Cappielow hiring out function rooms and Greenock Morton football club. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

 

32.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, port-ton said:

It's not a part of sport in this case though, I'd be extremely surprised to see Morton mention this at all. For me there's a big difference between Cappielow hiring out function rooms and Greenock Morton football club. 

 

I take your point, maybe a bad choice of wording on my part, it just doesn't sit easy with me though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There were people handing out Indy stuff before a match at Scapa prior to the referendum, which I was not keen on, as I feel there’s a time and a place. I likely felt so strongly at the time due to there being three political ads shown prior to a cartoon film that I took my kids to see in the cinema around that time.

I recall that those who were handing out the stuff later agreed to do it elsewhere in future.

Very disappointed to see that we’re letting someone as loathesome as Salmond anywhere near Scapa.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't mind renting out some tables and chairs trying to gain some extra income as long as it isn't for the KKK or similar.

I believe we still have SNP ad boards around the pitch, these should be binned immediately. We should not be promoting political parties of any form. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

Imagine this was a tory pop up. There'd be  war. Far better we distance ourselves from these weirdos 

If the Tories want to book the blind toast room for their National Scottish Conference, great. More money in the transfer kitty.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If “fans” withdraw funding from the club for this then that’s an audience you have to live without, tbh. I’m no fan of Alba but they’re a bunch of irrelevant cranks except as bogeymen in the heads of unionists and pearl-clutching liberals alike and it makes no difference to anybody if they hire a room  for a while.

Meanwhile, a serial sex offender wears the captain’s armband every week 🤷‍♂️

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AWMSC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was this decision down to one person or (as it ought to be) a whole board decision?

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

There were people handing out Indy stuff before a match at Scapa prior to the referendum, which I was not keen on, as I feel there’s a time and a place. I likely felt so strongly at the time due to there being three political ads shown prior to a cartoon film that I took my kids to see in the cinema around that time.

I recall that those who were handing out the stuff later agreed to do it elsewhere in future.

Very disappointed to see that we’re letting someone as loathesome as Salmond anywhere near Scapa.

IRC the SNP even changed their colours to blue an white on a badge being handed out pre match on one occasion. 

An obvious effort to dupe Ton fans into wearing their logo.

I was handed one by Cowan as I walked down Sinclair St but immediately threw in back in his bucket as soon as I realised it was nothing to do with Morton.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, so72 said:

This has McEleney all over it, wouldn't be surprised if it was a discount rate.

Discounted rate better than no rate at all for a room which will most likely be sitting empty anyway.

Edited by Madton
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We really are a fickle bunch! Who cares who rents a suite/a room/a cupboard at Cappielow? Much needed income and no matter who was to hire it out, someone somewhere would be adverse to it. A sex pest can captain the team on a weekly basis but we draw the line at one hiring a room to stroke his own ego for a couple of hours! 
 

Pffffft!!!!!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm all for the club using its facilities to gain some extra income but when it's arseclowns like the alba party and Salmond that can get swiftly in the bin. Club seemed to be doing well with getting fans back on side and the good atmosphere since Dougie has arrived but this is another thing you just have to shake your head at. 

Also in regards to VAR and the club voting against it I wonder how much Dougie was asked about this or if was just all board members making the decision. 

 

  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...