Commercial Activity - Page 52 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Commercial Activity


Jamie_M
 Share

Recommended Posts

Delighted the club aren't apologising for it while pointing out the obvious. 

 

 


“The Alba Party are paying the same rate as any other customer who seeks to book our lounges for a function. The club is not associated with any organisation that books the facility, other than ensuring that our terms of use are respected.“

" Morton Club Together as an entity are not involved in day-to-day club operations, including the booking of Cappielow as a function space. As mentioned in the quote, neither MCT or Greenock Morton are in any way associated with any political party, and this is a booking that has been made through the commercial department of the club." 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

 

32.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, vikingTON said:

That's not quite true. The only reason why anyone is talking about it is because a bunch of people immediately took to gurning about the function space being used, for an irrelevant party event that hardly anyone would turn up to anyway.

The oxygen of publicity here has therefore been provided by the 'get politics oot of fitba'/craven unionist brigades, who have fallen hook, line and sinker for the councillor's cause. GMFC are not responsible for that. 

That was my initial thought, but looking at the accounts it seems the main demographic is left-of-centre, pro-independence. As mentioned, Salmond has become a bogeyman type figure to both camps. A lot of knicker-wetting in any case, and if anything, has only served to provide the event the steam it couldn't generate on its own. The hypocrisy of the tweet posted earlier is staggering, considering who leads the team onto the field most matchdays.

Edited by RealTonKid
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, RealTonKid said:

It seems to have spilled-over now toward personal insults, which I find disappointing.

 

Not condoning anything but I think we could all be spared that kind of pap, tbh. It might not be nice but when somebody makes such a fuckin clown of themselves at every turn, then I think we can do without the high and mighty whinging about them inevitably getting called a cunt. Certain people  might do well to reflect on their own actions before starting to get on their high horse, tbh.

As for pictures on the pitch, honestly who actually cares. McEleny can ram his “but I’ve got black pals” patter right up his hoop though.

Edited by EanieMeany
  • Upvote 1

AWMSC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Hej said:

The photos on the pitch and in the dugout are a proper minter, why was that allowed. 

Is this standard for people renting out the function rooms? Not a rhetorical question, genuinely not sure. If it's allowed for them to do publicity photos on the pitch/dugouts then fair enough (although I think that's hugely misguided and shouldn't be allowed going forward.) If on the other hand Alba chanced their arm and got special permission to do it, that's not on.

I'm not even anti-Salmond and anti-Alba, for what it's worth, I just think this is far more trouble than it's worth. Using the function rooms is one thing but using the club's footballing facilities - separately from the function rooms - for photo ops is just a can of worms we don't need.

EOho8Pw.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Politicians by nature are judged on their personality and beliefs and hopefully enough people like them to get elected, so while I agree with the sentiment from brendan (who obviously is right to defend their family) I don't really think his point holds up here, unless it's not his brother he's talking about. I'd have no problem calling Boris Johnson a cunt to his face for instance. 

What is undeniable is that him setting up a photo op in order to play the race card against criticism is an extremely cunty move. 

With regards to the photos, I dont like it, but if it was just people at a function at cappielow having a wee photo around the ground then fine, but they're holding up a vote alba sign with cappielow as a back drop, which I blame no one but the club for allowing that to happen. I've spent all day defending them thinking they'd know what the line is but I was wrong, and I was indeed naive and wrong about Chris earlier with Toby. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

 

32.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, EanieMeany said:

Not condoning anything but I think we could all be spared without that kind of pap, tbh. It might not be nice but when somebody makes such a fuckin clown of themselves at every turn, then I think we can do without the high and mighty whinging about them inevitably getting called a cunt. Certain people  might do well to reflect on their own actions before starting to get on their high horse, tbh.

As for pictures on the pitch, honestly who actually cares. McEleny can ram his “but I’ve got black pals” patter right up his hoop though.

It was a tweet from Brendan but he has since locked his account, hence I deleted my original post. I don't know the family personally, so can't offer any comment on their conduct. From professional exchanges, Brendan always seems like an affable chap.

mceleny.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

Not condoning anything but I think we could all be spared without that kind of pap, tbh. It might not be nice but when somebody makes such a fuckin clown of themselves at every turn, then I think we can do without the high and mighty whinging about them inevitably getting called a cunt. Certain people  might do well to reflect on their own actions before starting to get on their high horse, tbh.

As for pictures on the pitch, honestly who actually cares. McEleny can ram his “but I’ve got black pals” patter right up his hoop though.

Aye, the common denominator is that he's an absolute minter who'll sink to any depth to try and come out on top of an argument.

Imagine trying to spin it into a racial subject. Pure shite patter.

Sadly, and as expected, this was always going to be the outcome of tonight. One guy peddling an agenda to further himself.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Is this standard for people renting out the function rooms? Not a rhetorical question, genuinely not sure. If it's allowed for them to do publicity photos on the pitch/dugouts then fair enough (although I think that's hugely misguided and shouldn't be allowed going forward.) If on the other hand Alba chanced their arm and got special permission to do it, that's not on.

I'm not even anti-Salmond and anti-Alba, for what it's worth, I just think this is far more trouble than it's worth. Using the function rooms is one thing but using the club's footballing facilities - separately from the function rooms - for photo ops is just a can of worms we don't need.

There's been various things over the years where I've saw the same types of pictures - there's been weddings there for example and pretty much anyone who's been to hospitality has done the same. 

I don't have an issue with Morton renting out rooms and people taking pictures - it's a unique place and that should be a selling point - the thing that stands out for me is the people booking it are ones for the watching but we knew that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, irnbru said:

There's been various things over the years where I've saw the same types of pictures - there's been weddings there for example and pretty much anyone who's been to hospitality has done the same. 

I don't have an issue with Morton renting out rooms and people taking pictures - it's a unique place and that should be a selling point - the thing that stands out for me is the people booking it are ones for the watching but we knew that. 

If we're supposed to be turning down customers based on that criterion then the list is going to be a hell of a lot longer than Alex Salmond, which is why I'd prefer the club don't embroil themselves in this needlessly.

  • Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it was Douglas Ross 'booking the room' would people just say it's a commercial transaction and why can't he book the suite.

Imagine the insults he would get!

Shouldn't be allowed - this will be all over the national press tomorrow and once again people will laugh at Morton.

 

  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

Aye, I don’t really want to be getting into it too much tbh as it’s not really fair to go bringing a by-stander, of sorts, into it and it’s understandable that it’s not pleasant for him, but at the same time I’m not really buying any poor wee victim routine either.

Anyway, with any luck the Alba characters will lose their seats next month and put an end to their constant bloviating but as far as this goes then it was what it was and there’s lessons to be learned from the club about allowing the actual stadium to be used for electioneering photo-ops.

Otherwise it’s a storm in a teacup that means fuck all about anything.

I agree it means fuck all about anything in the grand scheme of things and it's not going to make national news or even any headlines outside of Morton fan social media , but within that core group this had already left a sore taste in a decent number of people's mouths before the event and now after the event and Chris's actions online you've even got a lot of the people who spent all day defending it bitterly disappointed in the club. 

That's not good for anyone. I'm sure it will blow over though as you say. I don't see it being at the forefront of people's minds for more than a day or teo , but it's also another notch on the many " ffs morton" moments that lead to disillusionment over time. 

  • Upvote 1

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

 

32.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

If we're supposed to be turning down customers based on that criterion then the list is going to be a hell of a lot longer than Alex Salmond, which is why I'd prefer the club don't embroil themselves in this needlessly.

I don't think we should be turning them down automatically - just that it's very difficult to draw a line for who can and can't book. There's loads of empty office and meeting spaces in Greenock so vetting organisations for an hour or two's use of a room is just going to mean we don't get that extra income. 

For example, Starbucks are a fairly controversial company (from tax avoidance to more recent things like their Russian branches) and are due to be opening in Inverclyde soon. Would we want the club to stop them having a staff recruitment event at Cappielow before they open? I know some people feel quite strongly about companies like that - maybe more so than minor political parties. 

Personally, I don't like Starbucks or Alba and wouldn't necessarily want them involved in the club but they are paying customers. In this case I think the problems have been caused by the people booking the room intentionally using the club brand to promote themselves (possibly knowing this would be the reaction and they'd get more publicity). 

I guess the lesson learnt should maybe be that the booking terms should state that  they shouldn't be using the facilities for advertising purposes, etc and anything extra is subject to review so it's a check of the purpose the club needs to do rather than vetting the organisation making the  booking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the organization wanting to book it is legally allowed to be there we should be accepting the booking without any exceptions providing that they adhere to all the terms and conditions - which definitely should include "you're here to use the function facilities and we're not endorsing what you're doing, so no photos on the pitch or in the dugouts. Trying to be the morality police is a complete false economy, it's not the job of someone renting out conference rooms to put the world to rights and it's almost always just going to get both sides riled up whatever you pick. If - and I'm not saying they are - the person who's booking out rooms for Starbucks is having a moral crisis about it then they're in the wrong job. Either be a cog in the wheel of capitalism at Greenock Morton FC Limited or don't.

If there's any kind of function that has a ring of endorsement to it - which would include things like being on the pitch, being photographed in front of the big Morton logo, wearing a cardboard cutout of Jonathan Page's face etc. - then that should be subject to individual scrutiny and should be a judgement call. (Stag party or wedding of a lifelong fan = fine. Anything political = not fine.)

  • Upvote 2

EOho8Pw.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

If the organization wanting to book it is legally allowed to be there we should be accepting the booking without any exceptions providing that they adhere to all the terms and conditions - which definitely should include "you're here to use the function facilities and we're not endorsing what you're doing, so no photos on the pitch or in the dugouts. Trying to be the morality police is a complete false economy, it's not the job of someone renting out conference rooms to put the world to rights and it's almost always just going to get both sides riled up whatever you pick. If - and I'm not saying they are - the person who's booking out rooms for Starbucks is having a moral crisis about it then they're in the wrong job. Either be a cog in the wheel of capitalism at Greenock Morton FC Limited or don't.

If there's any kind of function that has a ring of endorsement to it - which would include things like being on the pitch, being photographed in front of the big Morton logo, wearing a cardboard cutout of Jonathan Page's face etc. - then that should be subject to individual scrutiny and should be a judgement call. (Stag party or wedding of a lifelong fan = fine. Anything political = not fine.)

Aye, I think that's the lesson for the club. They've been a bit niave in renting out a room and thinking that's all it was but it's grown arms and legs and could be seen as an endorsement of the hiring organisation with the way its been framed by them. 

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt here and think some criticism is ott. The club are clearly trying to maximise revenue from the facilities which hasn't always happened in the past (and most of us have been complaining about) and they can't refuse business based on someone at the clubs opinion of an organisation (whether that's a political party or a controversial company) but they need to get tighter conditions of use - especially when it's commercial rather than personal bookings. 

 

Edited by irnbru
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/20/2022 at 10:29 PM, TONofmemories said:

This can get so, so far to fuck.

Screenshot_20220420-223104_Twitter.jpg

He must have heard that some Morton supporters like yourself love creepy pervert nonces nowadays.  Since he can no longer whore himself out to Russian TV, he is reduced to chasing your tenners now.  You'll be voting McEleny before you know it.  :lol:

  • Downvote 1

SACK THE BOARD!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...