Dundee v Morton - 1st November - Match Thread - Page 7 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Dundee v Morton - 1st November - Match Thread

Chesh

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always like to read the comments of neutrals on P&B after we play a televised game. Suffice it to say, few were impressed.

I can’t think of a single Friday night Championship game I’ve watched as a neutral and thought that the teams were up to much either. I’m glad that the league has exposure and still watch the games, but if you’re wanting guaranteed entertainment then you should go to the cinema instead of watching second tier plodders thud it out for ninety minutes. Impressive football has never been on display because this isn’t the level for that.

The only feedback worth caring about in terms of our tactics and style of play is whether they yield results or not. If they do then I couldn’t give a toss if some Fife bumpkin is having a miserable evening in front of council telly. Right now they are not getting results because they’re being applied in a half-arsed manner; but if anyone thinks that we’d get a genuinely good, possession-based style from the current midfield then they’re deluded. The only player who had the required passing range for that was Millar and that’s gone from his game now.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I can’t think of a single Friday night Championship game I’ve watched as a neutral and thought that the teams were up to much either. I’m glad that the league has exposure and still watch the games, but if you’re wanting guaranteed entertainment then you should go to the cinema instead of watching second tier plodders thud it out for ninety minutes. Impressive football has never been on display because this isn’t the level for that.

The only feedback worth caring about in terms of our tactics and style of play is whether they yield results or not. If they do then I couldn’t give a toss if some Fife bumpkin is having a miserable evening in front of council telly. Right now they are not getting results because they’re being applied in a half-arsed manner; but if anyone thinks that we’d get a genuinely good, possession-based style from the current midfield then they’re deluded. The only player who had the required passing range for that was Millar and that’s gone from his game now.

It's less about the entertainment and more about how everyone seems to have Ramsbottom's number as the worst goalie in the division by a massive distance.

EOho8Pw.png

This season has the same feeling of resignation that there was in the 2001/2 season under Peter Cormack when we had a quickly arranged assortment of journeymen, castoffs, drifters, layabouts, youngsters and complete shite masquerading as 'seasoned pro's'. That was perhaps acceptable back then given the nature of what we had just experienced/survived, and nobody really expected us to do anything that season.

If we survive relegation this season, then it is nothing short of a miracle. We are fucking shit.

It gets on my tits the players are in the Tele during the week saying we are going to to this or we are going to do that. Well fucking do it because talk is cheap.

With Gaston in goal, we would have got somethingoutbof that game. How bad must Rogers be?

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

With Gaston in goal, we would have got somethingoutbof that game. How bad must Rogers be?

For once, it wasn't keeper mistakes which cost us so fail to see how Gaston would have made a difference.

Not a fan of Ramsbottom in the slightest but he didn't cost us last night, Hopkin did.

Surprised Bigb hasn't blamed Crawford yet.

Biggest problem/mistake was sacking Duffy. Before you start your pish about finishing 7th under Duffy instead of 5th under JJ look at the respective season stats. More points 50v45; more goals 47 v 36; better goal difference by 16. That team would've horsed last season's team. Since Duffy left it has been unadulterated crap. Over to you for your wee boy smart arsed reply.

Biggest problem/mistake was sacking Duffy. Before you start your pish about finishing 7th under Duffy instead of 5th under JJ look at the respective season stats. More points 50v45; more goals 47 v 36; better goal difference by 16. That team would've horsed last season's team. Since Duffy left it has been unadulterated crap. Over to you for your wee boy smart arsed reply.

Fight you!

Hiya Jim, hiya pal!

I think you’ll find that ‘unadulterated crap’ also occurred under a certain manager named Duffy, J, who contrived to win just two of his last eleven league matches in charge - one of them against an all-time hopeless Brechin side - as part of his perennial, late season bottlejob down the league table. A record that led to him being emptied, failing to get another job at a full-time club and managing a pub team for a living instead.

Thanks for playing anyway.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Will some cunt hurry up and organise a Stars of 2018 tribute night to allow all those still pining for Dim Jim to channel their mourning into celebration of his insurmountable achievements as Morton manager.

It's true that none of Ramsbottom's mistakes last night led directly to a goal,but that was down to good fortune. We got away with his pathetic attempt to punch a ball that Cappie in full costume would have held with ease, his sclaffed kick and so on.

However we all know that a defence with a weak goalkeeper tends to panic in the attempt to protect him and that is evident in our defence at the moment with no composure at all.

The only excuse to be offered for Ramsbottom is that he doesn't pick the team. If he did he would probably put Rogers in goal.

The only excuse to be offered for Ramsbottom is that he doesn't pick the team. If he did he would probably put Rogers in goal.

He wouldn't, he was raging at being dropped 'undeservedly' initially as he had 'one of the best goals conceded to shots received ratios in Britain' at that point.

Allegedly.

Morton will never haul themselves out of this melee. We're doomed. Dark days, these are dark days.

It really does seem terminal now, doesn't it? I've always felt that the belief in a brighter tomorrow, no matter how blindly optimistic or unfounded it may be, is at the heart of supporting clubs like Morton (and the majority of clubs in the country, really): you know it's not that great just now, but you also know that next season will be the one it changes and for almost every other club, they've that one season (at the very least) in the last two decades. Even in the darkest days of the Scott regime, the belief that things would get better eventually was surely what kept everybody going, the idea that it'd be worth it and we'd be playing in the top flight soon, or getting to go to a Scottish Cup final (or WIN one), or get to play in Europe.

It's an astonishing feat of incompetence, indifference and neglect to have managed to all but vanquish that blind faith from a fanbase which went through such a trying, traumatic period, and yet here we are.

Our politicians must wish they had the teflon-coating of the Rae family. The state they've left the club in is utterly unforgivable.

AWMSC

He wouldn't, he was raging at being dropped 'undeservedly' initially as he had 'one of the best goals conceded to shots received ratios in Britain' at that point.

Allegedly.

He probably came across that statistic accidentally during a Google search to see if there was an edition of 'Goalkeeping for Dummies' available.

Even though he wasn’t directly responsible for conceding the two goals last night, he was a flapping mess for most of the game, which hardly inspires the defenders in front of him. He was lucky Hemmings didn’t score when he came rushing out near the end of the game, and left an open goal.

It only takes one loss for all of the doom and gloom chatter to begin with us again, and it isn’t just because we’re all miserable bastards. A win (maybe even two on the bounce should that day ever come around again) only papers over the cracks. An inadequate, unbalanced squad, a manager that increasingly looks out of his depth, a diminishing fanbase and a board completely uninterested in taking the club further. It is not being dramatic to say the whole thing is rotten to the core.

That being said, we should still be doing better than we currently are, and things could turn very hostile indeed if there isn’t some sign of improvement (and crucially, consistency) soon.

For once, it wasn't keeper mistakes which cost us so fail to see how Gaston would have made a difference.

Not a fan of Ramsbottom in the slightest but he didn't cost us last night, Hopkin did.

Surprised Bigb hasn't blamed Crawford yet.

He may not have been directly responsible for the goals (although I'm not sure that the second one couldn't have been tipped over by a half decent keeper who actually tried to do so rather than his flailing rubberman impersonation, but his inept attempts to punch clear, his parrying of shots that should routinely have been held, and his poor kicking, worse than Gaston at his most erratic, put pressure on us that would not have happened had we had a keeper that could catch the ball and distribute it in a way appropriate to championship keepers.  The rest of theteam didn't help, but any half decent team is built around the premise that the keeper has some basis ability; our defence lives in perpetual fear that Ramsbottom is going to land them in the shite.  Put simply, the defence don't trust him to do the basics.  He should be far better than he is - he is tall, reasonably athletic, and he can get decent range on his kickouts; he can even get to shots - just can't actually catch them.  if left in place, he will relegate us.

We have games against Thistle and Arbroath coming up - a chance to put some distance between us and Thistle, who appear to be even worse than us.  If we take nothing from the next 2 games, crowds will be under 1000.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Archived