Squad and transfers 2019/20 - Page 34 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad and transfers 2019/20

Hej

I wish people involved with the club would stop banging on about how poor and hard done by we are every time there's a microphone in front of them. They're asking people for £300 for a season ticket and also trying to lean on punters to cough up an extra £120 a year (at least) for some dubious scheme on top of strips etc, so stop saying how shite it's going to be.

Morton desperately, desperately needs some kind of PR person to get a grip of the image the whole club gives off from top to bottom. It's pathetic.

Agreed. OK, it's not quite Falkirk's approach of calling their fans scum with one breath and asking for season ticket money (and announcing another complete change of home and away strips after just a year) with the next but the club do need to look at what they put out there, especially when it is so scarce at times.

That and a proper person looking at every commercial opportunity (I know the new CEO will do some).

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. OK, it's not quite Falkirk's approach of calling their fans scum with one breath and asking for season ticket money (and announcing another complete change of home and away strips after just a year) with the next but the club do need to look at what they put out there, especially when it is so scarce at times.

There's been times that'd have seemed a bit more honest from them over the years. 

AWMSC

I wish people involved with the club would stop banging on about how poor and hard done by we are every time there's a microphone in front of them. They're asking people for £300 for a season ticket and also trying to lean on punters to cough up an extra £120 a year (at least) for some dubious scheme on top of strips etc, so stop saying how shite it's going to be.

Morton desperately, desperately needs some kind of PR person to get a grip of the image the whole club gives off from top to bottom. It's pathetic.

Agreed and I'm not buying into the comparision to Alloa/Arbroath etc either.

Guys like Muirhead, Jacobs, Nesbitt ( assuming he signs)  are going to be earning decent (average) Championship wages.

McAlister, Tumilty and Millar have maintained the same wages as last year. The guys from down south are not going come up here for a couple of hundred quid a week either, especially when one of them had offers from League 2 and we know the money is much much better down there.

No doubt some guys will be on part time level wages, like Orsi, Strapp, possibly Lyon but doubt there will be many more.

We clearly have a reduced budget, like many clubs in this division but I don't believe it's as bad as being made out.

Edit-Away from the budget chat, Anton came across very well. Very focussed and determined with a right good mindset towards being fit, professional etc etc, sounds very promising.

That and a proper person looking at every commercial opportunity (I know the new CEO will do some).

The new CEO could be doing a bit more publicly around this sort of thing though.

Morton already have a PR Person - Jonathan Mitchell. However, nice guy that he is, he should try the Malcolm Tucker approach and demand nobody fucking opens their trap unless he says so. He should also be allowed to horsewhip players who have Celtic/Rangers crap on their Bebo's and who act like Fannies on their Facebook pages.

*insert signature here*

Morton already have a PR inPerson - Jonathan Mitchell. However, nice guy that he is, he should try the Malcolm Tucker approach and demand nobody fucking opens their trap unless he says so. He should also be allowed to horsewhip players who have Celtic/Rangers crap on their Bebo's and who act like Fannies on their Facebook pages.

You are correct that Jonathan Mitchell is an excellent Press Officer man and seems a nice guy.

The Public Relations role is a bit different and is about exactly what you describe, managing all aspects of the Club's image and reputation, checking out press releases and supervising interviews, advising/instructing players about social media. Probably a role all clubs need in the current situation, but not necessarily combined with PO.

He’s the media and communications officer.

Which isn't PR. He should be working under a general direction of what message the club want to put out as should whoever does the marketing, etc too.

Agreed and I'm not buying into the comparision to Alloa/Arbroath etc either.

Guys like Muirhead, Jacobs, Nesbitt ( assuming he signs) are going to be earning decent (average) Championship wages.

McAlister, Tumilty and Millar have maintained the same wages as last year. The guys from down south are not going come up here for a couple of hundred quid a week either, especially when one of them had offers from League 2 and we know the money is much much better down there.

No doubt some guys will be on part time level wages, like Orsi, Strapp, possibly Lyon but doubt there will be many more.

We clearly have a reduced budget, like many clubs in this division but I don't believe it's as bad as being made out.

Edit-Away from the budget chat, Anton came across very well. Very focussed and determined with a right good mindset towards being fit, professional etc etc, sounds very promising.

While I agree with the general point re: budget, I’d expect Millar and McAlister at least to have taken substantial hits on their wages too. They’re at the end of their careers and are not going anywhere else, I reckon that with the right pitch from a new manager they’d have accepted a bit less if it helped make the team around them less of a cobbled-together mess.

The contrast between them and that mercenary King Snake is telling.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

While I agree with the general point re: budget, I’d expect Millar and McAlister at least to have taken substantial hits on their wages too. They’re at the end of their careers and are not going anywhere else, I reckon that with the right pitch from a new manager they’d have accepted a bit less if it helped make the team around them less of a cobbled-together mess.

The contrast between them and that mercenary King Snake is telling.

Believe Hoppy tried that but players naturally said bolt.

Would you accept a reduced offer of 600 quid a week if you were contractually entitled to £850?

Its prob their last decent contract so completely understand why they would hold firm. They will have mortgages and families to look after just like the rest of us!

Believe Hoppy tried that but players naturally said bolt.

Would you accept a reduced offer of 600 quid a week if you were contractually entitled to £850?

Its prob their last decent contract so completely understand why they would hold firm. They will have mortgages and families to look after just like the rest of us!

Aye, they were entitled to the same terms. I think it'd be painting an overly idealistic to suggest that they'd have taken a significant cut out of the goodness of their hearts if they were offered better elsewhere.

It's the inconsistency in all of this that's frustrating. Nothing that's happened over the summer (apart from maybe Orsi) has particularly suggested that the budget is being pared right back, yet we keep hearing about it. As you said earlier, the English guys presumably won't be on peanuts, Hopkin and his team will be on good money and there's obviously cash being put out on the stadium upgrades, so what exactly is going on? Surely the club can't be that impoverished to be doing all of those things.

AWMSC

Archived