ton v thistle - Page 8 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

ton v thistle

beetee

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got to credit JJ for sorting things out at half time. Encouraging. Hopefully can take that form to Somerset.

Shirley a wind up

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

I'm not sure how much more of buchanan getting caught under a high ball and cushioning a header straight to an attacker I can take.

Still have PTSD even now.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

The squad are delivering these results.

Zero up front and defensively atrocious.

Still need a manager though. That's the difference between most teams. Ours is s***.

You're both right in a way.

We're well beyond the point of it being obvious that Johansson is an absolutely useless manager, and a big element of that has been pretty much every player's individual performances regressing throughout his time in charge. It's impossible to escape the conclusion that being managed by Jonatan Johansson is a massive obstacle to a player performing to the best of their ability, and therefore many players in this squad who haven't looked good enough might actually turn out to be decent Championship players if they get the chance to work under a real manager.

Waddell & Buchanan though are the perfect examples of where players are to blame for this as well. It's absolutely basic errors time and time again with those two and while Johansson certainly isn't doing anything to help them, centre backs routinely misjudging the flight of a ball or losing runners through laziness or poor awareness can't hide behind their manager. It's  completely unacceptable to throw away goals like that as a matter of course and Ryan Harding is an accurate comparison to the way they've performed since the turn of the year, or the whole season in Buchanan's case.

Obviously Johansson's failings play a huge part in this as well as individual mistakes don't happen in a vacuum: his inability to organise a defence and the whole team being a shapeless mess without a gameplan every week make individual errors more likely to happen and more likely to be punished when they do, but it doesn't let either Buchanan or Waddell off the hook.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

As I was heading out the stand yesterday, a guy maybe about 50ish threw his scarf at the office door and walked away in pure disgust. What I find a bit off about this is that the apathy and lack of enthusiasm around the club is very high at the moment. I don’t think it was just the result that pissed him off, that probably just sealed his feelings. That’s probably a lifelong fan who possibly won’t be back soon if ever, If he wants to toss his scarf away and mutter something about the club being crap or whatever, fair enough but IMO that’s just the beginning, I think we will see more of this (unfortunately)

As I was heading out the stand yesterday, a guy maybe about 50ish threw his scarf at the office door and walked away in pure disgust. What I find a bit off about this is that the apathy and lack of enthusiasm around the club is very high at the moment. I don’t think it was just the result that pissed him off, that probably just sealed his feelings. That’s probably a lifelong fan who possibly won’t be back soon if ever, If he wants to toss his scarf away and mutter something about the club being crap or whatever, fair enough but IMO that’s just the beginning, I think we will see more of this (unfortunately)

We have lost generations of fans due to a lack of ambition and shite football.

Our fan base is an aging one and we have not done enough to attract young supporters who in turn bring their mates and their future children.

The die hards like the guy you most likely describe are now turning away and crowds will drop next season. Football is expensive as £20 in to the game, £3 a programme and you can easily spend another £7 on the half time draw and pie stall so all in all you are talking £25-£30 per home game. Unlike the olden days, there are way more options now on a Saturday and better things to spend your cash on and if the fans are not getting value for money, they will continue to go elsewhere.

Hawke mentioned we have an aging fan base but what has he done to counter this? Apart from make it more difficult to enter the game through technology and the failed turnstiles, not a lot that I can see.

We have had the zero ambition through John Wilson when other teams developed their ground and invested on the park, Hugh Scott set us back, Douglas Rae with a failed 5 year plan and many monumental balls up and now the scrapped three year plan.

Great time to be a Morton fan and Bring a friend

Chucked it at half time,wasting my time now. I'll be putting as much effort into supporting Morton as the the players put in on the pitch and the board does to run the club. Which won't be a lot.

Thing is though, it's all well and good saying the board should do this or that but they've openly said what they'll be doing next season and are trying to get rid of the club to someone who can take it forward. All they can really do is spend what they make so it's hard to see a way forward.

What was interesting at the Q&A was that it was mention GC covered the wages this month so there's obviously not much coming in.

What was interesting at the Q&A was that it was mention GC covered the wages this month so there's obviously not much coming in.

With little marketing, no commercial strategy and piss poor communication, that comes as a surprise to absolutely nobody (except Rae and Hawke presumably).

Thing is though, it's all well and good saying the board should do this or that but they've openly said what they'll be doing next season and are trying to get rid of the club to someone who can take it forward. All they can really do is spend what they make so it's hard to see a way forward.

We've been one home Saturday game a month for about 5 months, which can't be helping with cash flow.

We can talk about a lack of ambition, but it's more to do with a lack of investment. We desperately need investment in all areas of the club. This isn't to say that there aren't things that we could be doing much better, but without proper investment we're limited in what we can do. What's also clear is that under Dougie we didn't invest properly in the club - no real plan or careful consideration.

Think there's a difference between the board saying what they want to achieve and how they plan on doing it. There's very little to suggest Rae and Hawke are capable of devising an effective strategy that doesn't end up with the club becoming Airdrie.

AWMSC

Think there's a difference between the board saying what they want to achieve and how they plan on doing it. There's very little to suggest Rae and Hawke are capable of devising an effective strategy that doesn't end up with the club becoming Airdrie.

All they can do football wise is look at worse case income and use that to give a budget to a manager to make sure there's no more losses.

So that's it? The entire master plan is to sign a squad of Dylan Dykes, keep Johansson and see what happens?

That's not a plan, that's a suicide note. A complete overhaul of the club and its staff is needed. It doesn't seem like a single area of it is working as it should, right down to not being able to organise a vote for a strip.

As I said, there's little to suggest Rae and Hawke are capable of managing a transition period that doesn't consign the club to League 1.

AWMSC

So that's it? The entire master plan is to sign a squad of Dylan Dykes, keep Johansson and see what happens?

That's not a plan, that's a suicide note. A complete overhaul of the club and its staff is needed. It doesn't seem like a single area of it is working as it should, right down to not being able to organise a vote for a strip.

As I said, there's little to suggest Rae and Hawke are capable of managing a transition period that doesn't consign the club to League 1.

The plan is they are giving whoever the manager is a budget that means there won't be a loss. It's up to the manager how to spend it.

Again, that's not a plan. That's Golden Casket trying to kill off Morton so they don't have to worry about it anymore. A plan is how to raise income while cutting expenditure while also being competitive - no details about this are forthcoming from what I can see, probably because it's virtually impossible to achieve.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived