ton v thistle - Page 10 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

ton v thistle

beetee

There quite obviously wasn't full knowledge of the ownership situation when he's come out and said just that and has had to go back on something he said shortly after the death. And let's not forget, losing his dad wouldn't have been an easy time for him either.

All the more reason for them to have had a logical plan already in place, ready for a flunkey like Iron Man to execute while Crawford was busy dealing with his family bereavement. They quite clearly didn’t have one, which is why the club’s strategy has been all over the place in the past 12 months.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the more reason for them to have had a logical plan already in place, ready for a flunkey like Iron Man to execute while Crawford was busy dealing with his family bereavement. They quite clearly didn’t have one, which is why the club’s strategy has been all over the place in the past 12 months.

I've not reason not to believe him saying he planned for one thing and how the share split turned out meant he had to change approach.

There quite obviously wasn't full knowledge of the ownership situation when he's come out and said just that and has had to go back on something he said shortly after the death. And let's not forget, losing his dad wouldn't have been an easy time for him either.

There quite obviously wasn't but the fact that there wasn't amounts to nothing short of gross negligence.

I'll never understand how "they had no idea what the plan was for the parent company or the football club after DDF passed away" is supposed to be a mitigating factor here. Rather it's the entire fucking crux of the problem.

Having lost a parent myself I know how hard it is, and I honestly feel bad for the guy, and having to endlessly fluctuate between grieving  and supporting your family on one side, and the nuts-and-bolts of estates and funeral planning and all the rest of the mechanical stuff, is is a bizarre experience, to say the least. But in the case of the family businesses, all of this should have been in hand years ago, so that it wasn't something to be worried about when the time came.

I'm repeating myself a bit here so I'll leave it at that, but the sheer lack of any forward planning from anyone involved is utterly jaw-dropping and, quite aside from the human aspect of a patriarch passing away, shows a real lack of judgement from all involved.

EOho8Pw.png

I can't believe that Dougie didn't make it clear to his family what they should do with Morton after his death. I also can't believe that his family would go against his wishes either.

Something just doesn't feel right about the whole thing to me.

I can.

edit: to be clear, not Crawford.

EOho8Pw.png

I've not reason not to believe him saying he planned for one thing and how the share split turned out meant he had to change approach.

That’s not a plan, that’s an excuse for not having one.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

That’s not a plan, that’s an excuse for not having one.

To me it seems like he was told (or was of the understanding) that shares and ownership of both Morton/ GC would be split in one way and that didn't happen. I'm pretty sure he'd have trusted his family with what he was told and planned accordingly.

His dad died so he's had to deal with that along with that and adjust to deal with how shares were actually split. That can't have been easy for him, particularly when the other shareholders will be putting him under pressure.

I'm not particularly looking forward to next season but I've got a lot of sympathy with him and anything that's went on in the past is from the way Dougie ran it. I think people underestimate how much he influence he had.

To me it seems like he was told (or was of the understanding) that shares and ownership of both Morton/ GC would be split in one way and that didn't happen. I'm pretty sure he'd have trusted his family with what he was told and planned accordingly.

His dad died so he's had to deal with that along with that and adjust to deal with how shares were actually split. That can't have been easy for him, particularly when the other shareholders will be putting him under pressure.

I'm not particularly looking forward to next season but I've got a lot of sympathy with him and anything that's went on in the past is from the way Dougie ran it. I think people underestimate how much he influence he had.

So Dougie ran it badly, had too much influence and lied to Crawford?

So Dougie ran it badly, had too much influence and lied to Crawford?

I don't thunk he lied as such but he obviously gave an impression of something that didn't turn out to the case. The other two points, yes.

When Crawford took over as chairman, he wrote:

'As you know my father has had to step down due to health issues. His main regret and disappointment during his tenure was not being able to deliver top-flight football to the people of Inverclyde.

My ambition is to be able to do this for him during his lifetime.'

A big issue is how suddenly his father's death hit him. I can totally understand the need for a clear succession plan, which there are only a few signs of, but I can only assume that he hoped his dad had three years left in him in which we could aim for promotion to the top flight. He had to readjust to the new reality much quicker than he had hoped.

Whatever we think about the longer term planning, we didn't plan for things happening so quickly.

Whatever we think about the longer term planning, we didn't plan for things happening so quickly.

...which is why we should’ve planned. Even at that point before Dougie passed something should’ve been in place.

...which is why we should’ve planned. Even at that point before Dougie passed something should’ve been in place.

What I meant was that we didn't plan in the shorter term as if he was going to die soon. It's clear that he was very motivated to get us to the Premier League before his father died, so put the three year plan on place. Maybe what has happened since was always the plan - cut back, be sustainable, and look for a buyer. There are signs that this was always the longer term plan.

As I said, whatever you think of the plan, or however you think we were carrying it out (pretty poorly might be a fair reflection), is another matter.

It’s a wonder that any family-run business in the country survives at all given the bizarre, Game of Thrones style succession crisis that the club’s fluffers are now painting for us at Golden Casket. Which is of course a separate concern from the club anyway so quite why Iron Man as chief executive didn’t see the need to prepare the club for this transition is a mystery.

So you know Crawford personally?

Not at all, but I find it utterly inconceivable that he'd go against his father's wishes *while blaming other people*, for the reason that it'd very quickly get out of that was the case.

Don't get me wrong, I doubt he's especially upset that he's not having to spunk the family jewels on a rubbish football club, but I also don't think he pulled the trigger here.

EOho8Pw.png

Not at all, but I find it utterly inconceivable that he'd go against his father's wishes *while blaming other people*, for the reason that it'd very quickly get out of that was the case.

Don't get me wrong, I doubt he's especially upset that he's not having to spunk the family jewels on a rubbish football club, but I also don't think he pulled the trigger here.

who was the cowboy then lol?

Archived