Hopkin - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Hopkin

macca937

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Appointing Kennedy strikes me as going back down the Jim McInally route. F*ck that.

Very different roles though! Youth to first team coach is a pretty significant step up for a club like Celtic.

I don't think the new Manager will be Hopkin as I think he will ultimately win the Playoff and if he doesn't then he has a good squad who are ready to go again next year.

McIntyre is looking for a new job and may be identified for Dundee Utd?

Kennedy - He may be ready to be his own man but he may have an ego and feel he can coach in the premier league. (St Mirren is Ross goes?)

I really do not know who the manager could be as not a lot of names popping out.

On Hopkin - Duffy also had a good squad who were ready to go again next (this) year - and he fucked it and is now on the scrapheap. No guarantees for Livi next year if they don't go up - Hopkin moving when his rep is hot would probably be the sensible thing but whether he'd hope he can get a gig higher than us is hard to say.

On Mcintyre - don't think he'll be waiting for Dundee Utd, they aren't bagging Laszlo anyway (he's actually just about to appoint Former Hearts coach Werner Burger as his assistant).

On Kennedy - if he has applied, and interviewed, I wouldn't say there's an ego there that he's above us and actually even if he has that desire, coming to the Championship and doing well is a good way to get there. As for 'if' Ross leaves St Mirren, it's a when and that when will be 'which day this week will it be announced'.

How are folk coming to the conclusion John Kennedy is ready to manage at this level?

Don't think many are. Most of the comments have been 'interesting' 'intriguing' rather than 'brilliant'.

Think some would be more willing to accept a bit of a wild card rather than the usual merry-go-round list of failures.

Obviously it'd be a risk. McInally comparisons are understandable although McInally was just a youth coach and had one short car crash managerial attempt at Sligo before we took him. Kennedy is a first team coach which is more relevant experience, with no red flag first manager gig in his history. 

Not averse to a first timer getting the gig. It's a risk, but prefer that to someone with a track record of fails or one that's guaranteed to be no more than middle of the road.

Boom or bust.

How are folk coming to the conclusion John Kennedy is ready to manage at this level?

Nobody's necessarily said that he is ready or that he should definitely get it, have they? Given that Arsene Wenger is unlikely to be eyeing the job up, I don't really see that somebody like Kennedy is an outlandish option that should be dismissed out of hand.... unless we'd prefer somebody with experience of the First Division or above such Aitken, Duffy, Gus McPherson, McCoist, McCulloch...? Nobody knows, but I'd be more intrigued by the possibility of a Kennedy than any of them.

AWMSC

I'd much rather we went for something different than stick with the usual names touted since Duffy left. Paul Sheerin/Kennedy both worthy of consideration. 

I suspect however that it might be between McKinnon and McIntyre. 

Why is Sheerin worthy of consideration? He already spent four years in management and didn't do anything of note; if we wanted him, we could have made him an offer in the summer of 2014 when he left Arbroath after getting them relegated. 

One failure doesn't necessarily make a manager a failure in the game forever but it does mean that they should start again at a lower level. Sheerin has done nothing to merit the huge step up between a seaside league diddy outfit and The Famous. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Why is Sheerin worthy of consideration? He already spent four years in management and didn't do anything of note; if we wanted him, we could have made him an offer in the summer of 2014 when he left Arbroath after getting them relegated.

One failure doesn't necessarily make a manager a failure in the game but it does mean that you have to start again at a lower level. Sheerin has done nothing to merit the huge step up between a seaside league diddy outfit and The Famous.

The 'one failure followed by slinking off to youth coaching for a few years' was the Jim McInally route to managerial super stardom. .

Doesn't matter who comes in I don't believe Crawford and the board are suddenly going to increase the budget or throw money at him.

Rightly, though - we've tried to spend our way out and got nowhere. Meanwhile teams with much smaller budgets have passed us on the way up and managed to compete in the top flight when they got there. We're all much of a muchness in terms of budget/squad quality (United aside, potentially) so the key is to find a manager who can eek more out of ours than they can theirs. There's no point spending more money we don't have and having nothing to show for it but debt. Look at what Hopkin has achieved this season with one of the smallest FT budgets in the league.

Rightly, though - we've tried to spend our way out and got nowhere. Meanwhile teams with much smaller budgets have passed us on the way up and managed to compete in the top flight when they got there. We're all much of a muchness in terms of budget/squad quality (United aside, potentially) so they key is to find a manager who can eek more out of ours than they can theirs. There's no point spending more money we don't have and having nothing to show for it but debt. Look at what Hopkin has achieved this season with one of the smallest FT budgets in the league.

If that's the three year plan, I can hardly wait. 

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

Good to see that you're back on the Wake bandwagon. 

I'm not against Brian Wake nor have I ever been. In fact, quite the opposite. He isn't a serious candidate though, and I think that you know that.

You do realise that you are to Brian Wake what Colkitto is to the SNP.

Kennedy managed just 26 appearances for that odious club - for some context, that's ten times less than even an injury-prone David McGregor played for Morton. He's really not a club legend as a footballer then; he was just a mascot for 'the Celtic family's' endless sense of victimhood.

Is the number of games played ever a pre-requisite of who is/isn't a football clubs legend? Does a player need to play 200+ games for a club before such an honour can be bestowed upon him? In comparison, Derek Collins is often said to be a 'Morton Legend' however in many of his 571 games he was a very average-at-best player; whilst Eric Cantona can easily be considered a Leeds United Legend whilst only playing in 28 games for the club.

*insert signature here*

That’s because he’s Eric Cantona, not a decent centre half that only played a few games.

I cut that post a wee bit short as I wanted to watch Question Time, however I came back online to edit and finish it then saw this.

Since you are a young guy, possibly in your late teens, I don't think you'll have seen the Celtic vs Barcelona game from 2004 where a young 19 year old absolutely bossed the defence in the Nou Camp against Ronaldinho, Iniesta, Luis Enrique etc. In what can only be described as easily one of the greatest European performances in the clubs history.

John Kennedy was more than just a 'decent centre half' he was the greatest Scottish player of that era and it was a bloody sin what happened to him. In comparison, Rio Ferdinand became the world's most expensive defender around a season earlier for £30m - John Kennedy easily had the potential to go for so much more.

*insert signature here*

I cut that post a wee bit short as I wanted to watch Question Time, however I came back online to edit and finish it then saw this.

Since you are a young guy, possibly in your late teens, I don't think you'll have seen the Celtic vs Barcelona game from 2004 where a young 19 year old absolutely bossed the defence in the Nou Camp against Ronaldinho, Iniesta, Luis Enrique etc. In what can only be described as easily one of the greatest European performances in the clubs history.

John Kennedy was more than just a 'decent centre half' he was the greatest Scottish player of that era and it was a bloody sin what happened to him. In comparison, Rio Ferdinand became the world's most expensive defender around a season earlier for £30m - John Kennedy easily had the potential to go for so much more.

While I do agree that he would have gone on to be a top player, Tony Watt also looked great against Barcelona at a young age, and David Marshall - while he did have a good career - absolutely bossed it against either them or Milan, I forget which.

EOho8Pw.png

I'm not against Brian Wake nor have I ever been. In fact, quite the opposite. He isn't a serious candidate though, and I think that you know that.

You do realise that you are to Brian Wake what Colkitto is to the SNP.

Is the number of games played ever a pre-requisite of who is/isn't a football clubs legend? Does a player need to play 200+ games for a club before such an honour can be bestowed upon him? In comparison, Derek Collins is often said to be a 'Morton Legend' however in many of his 571 games he was a very average-at-best player; whilst Eric Cantona can easily be considered a Leeds United Legend whilst only playing in 28 games for the club.

Derek Collins was considerably above average as Morton full-backs go.

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

David Marshall's finest hour was also that very same game against Barcelona, some of the saves that he pulled off were simply world class, and an amazing feat considering it was also his second first team game as Rab Douglas was suspended. In fact, Marshall was so great that evening that his performance was the topic of conversation amongst Football supporters across Europe - a young inexperienced kid with a shutout against Barca would - and also put John Kennedy's role in that result in the shade.

John Kennedy was so good it was easy to forget that he was just a teenager, he certainly seemed a lot older and experienced than his age would suggest.

*insert signature here*

Archived