The Big 2018-19 Squad Thread - Page 102 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Big 2018-19 Squad Thread

TRVMP

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gerrard promoted him to the first team and took him to Spain. Must be worth a look.

I'm not knocking him and he might well be excellent but a lot of absolute dungers get called up for those pre-season tours by the big clubs. Sometimes it's just a reward for a guy who's been there a long time, or it's to make up the numbers, or (in the case of the biggest clubs) a chance to boost their value a little bit for their sale to Verona or West Brom.

EOho8Pw.png

I'm not knocking him and he might well be excellent but a lot of absolute dungers get called up for those pre-season tours by the big clubs. Sometimes it's just a reward for a guy who's been there a long time, or it's to make up the numbers, or (in the case of the biggest clubs) a chance to boost their value a little bit for their sale to Verona or West Brom.

Don't need to convince me haha, I havent forgotten Donnelly that quickly

According to The Sun we're favourites to get Connor Shields on loan from Sunderland. He's a 21 year old striker who used to play for Albion Rovers. 9 goals and 6 assists in 21 games in League One for Albion Rovers. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/connor-shields/profil/spieler/429249

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

McKinnon can't be impressed with McHugh if he's going out and signing another striker. We'll have Denny, Bell, Shields, Thomson, and McHugh all as recognised strikers in the squad. Would rather we went and signed a winger before another striker.

Thomson just wasn't good enough full stop last season and I'd have had no problem seeing him leave, but on the other hand while Duffy regularly played him out wide he never attempted to use him as a conventional winger. He was tall, so our only tactic with him was to launch the ball at his head rather than ever getting the ball to his feet facing the goal. You'd hope that if McKinnon is going to use him on the wing then having worked with him at Brechin he actually knows what his strengths are and will play to them, rather than taking one look at him and saying 'tall player = target man'. It was as a winger rather than centre forward that he scored 8 goals in 19 games for Dumbarton after all.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Thomson just wasn't good enough full stop last season and I'd have had no problem seeing him leave, but on the other hand while Duffy regularly played him out wide he never attempted to use him as a conventional winger. He was tall, so our only tactic with him was to launch the ball at his head rather than ever getting the ball to his feet facing the goal. You'd hope that if McKinnon is going to use him on the wing then having worked with him at Brechin he actually knows what his strengths are and will play to them, rather than taking one look at him and saying 'tall player = target man'. It was as a winger rather than centre forward that he scored 8 goals in 19 games for Dumbarton after all.

Above this, and perhaps more alarming was his complete lack of enthusiasm. Just doesn't appear interested. Could be wrong ofc

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Above this, and perhaps more alarming was his complete lack of enthusiasm. Just doesn't appear interested. Could be wrong ofc

The nickname of Berbatov, given to him by the Dumbarton fans, was not a nod to his footballing ability. That's just his style, which is infuriating when he's not playing well.

Thomson will be an option on the right IMO. Just before we signed him, he played there against McKinnon for Dumbarton at Tannadice and ran the show. I can't say I've got too much confidence in him being able to repeat the trick after a difficult season for him all round, but it's not as if the slaphead didn't have form for ramming square pegs into round holes. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I don't think we have ever seen a really fully fit Thomson and after his surgery hopefully that will be different this season.

He has put in one or two decent performances for us but Jim Duffy neither gave him a run of games (partially due no doubt to recurring injuries) nor played him in the same position with any regularity.

I hope we are still to see the best of him. For us this is definitely his make or break season.

I don't think we have ever seen a really fully fit Thomson and after his surgery hopefully that will be different this season.

He has put in one or two decent performances for us but Jim Duffy neither gave him a run of games (partially due no doubt to recurring injuries) nor played him in the same position with any regularity.

I hope we are still to see the best of him. For us this is definitely his make or break season.

In fairness, the scepticism will remain in spite of the injury. We were told we haven't seen the real McHugh because he was carrying an injury last year but alas, he is still rotten.

Archived