The Famous V An Abject Dundee Rabble - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Famous V An Abject Dundee Rabble

vikingTON

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aye because without Doyle John Baird would look like Jairzinho and the rest of the team like Brazil 1970 FFS.

Doyle is limited but the focus on such a minor role is covering up the basic tactical errors that stopped us from hounding them today.

See you at the St Mirren game....oh wait!

Most of the criticism today is valid (4-3-3 is a disaster, Doyle is a disaster, Tiffoney makes the decisions of a 19 year old) but Utd turned out a team to come away with a point at all costs. They had every man back at our corners and didn't even press out after the first ball was cleared.

Oliver has been our best forward this season but the physical mismatch with Mohsni & Durnan made him look a bit pathetic at times - running in behind the defender hoping for a mistake only works if he's under any sort of pressure. Thompson gave us that pressure when he came on but his miss sums up the season he's had.

The biggest disappointment for me today was Harkins & Tidser's reaction to the Utd goal. They completely chucked it for a ten minute spell in the second half out of frustration when we should be looking to them to get a hold of the game. There's nothing special about any of the sides pushing for the playoffs but that sort of thing makes all the difference.

This guy's vlog has the goal at 12.00

http://youtu.be/FQHuGcp0LUw

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Scott ‘dug at the beach’ Tiffoney is as clueless as his teammates suggest, Jack Ross should be in there

We have 3 left backs and 1 right back, not Doyle’s fault, it’s also not Doyle’s fault today that he was asked to play right back and right wing and has no support when on the other side Tiff and Russell can’t get out each other’s way

Only positive today was Tam looked back to his old self, had McDonald in his pocket

I've said this all season about Doyle. Bags of effort and a decent defender at this level but we cannot be relying on him to be our attacking option on the right hand side. His crossing is poor and he is hopeless at beating a man. Duffy consistently puts a central midfielder on the right of midfield and whoever it is then moves inside creating space for Doyle. That side of the pitch is devoid of any creativity at all. Tiffoney on the other side isn't much use either. That and playing hoofball up to giant centre halves when he arguably have some of the best footballer's in the league in our team is horrible to watch. Duffy must know this but is too stubborn to address it.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

The midfield and the forwards are well aware of Doyles limitations and when he's on the ball they should be ensuring he has an easy out. Yesterday he was basically hung out to dry as none of them made an angle for him which shone a rather unflattering light upon him.

We do need better, but his undoubted effort, for me at least, makes it hard to criticise him too harshly.

I want a pretentious signature too.

Doyle is a decent defender who covers some amount of ground but is poor in the ball. I think part of the problem with him is Duffy relies on him as an attacking option too much rather than just being a defender.

The most frustrating thing for me though yesterday was when Doyle had 4 men round just inside their half and Thomson decided the option was to go to the back post then blame Doyle for not getting it to him.

Doyle is a decent defender who covers some amount of ground but is poor in the ball. I think part of the problem with him is Duffy relies on him as an attacking option too much rather than just being a defender.

The most frustrating thing for me though yesterday was when Doyle had 4 men round just inside their half and Thomson decided the option was to go to the back post then blame Doyle for not getting it to him.

Exactly the incident I was thinking about. While Doyle is limited in terms of going forward, he is often not helped by team mates. That one yesterday was pretty abysmal from Thomson. Doyle had 3 players around him and nowhere to go.

About 3 times yesterday Thomson turned away from the game and just started running in a completely bizarre direction not even in keeping with play.

I reckon he's gone at the end of the season.

He has another year on his contract but would be way alround if he were to depart.

About 3 times yesterday Thomson turned away from the game and just started running in a completely bizarre direction not even in keeping with play.

I reckon he's gone at the end of the season.

Someone on here said he's going part time next season?

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Doyle's limitations have also become a stigma.

In the first half, he swung a cross into the middle of the box but none of our players got near it and it was met with 'for fuck sake Doyle, get him aff Duffy'. A few minutes later, Tidser swung in a similar cross, again none of our players got near it and it was met with the big 'OOOOHHH!'

Because it's Doyle and we know his weaknesses they seem to be highlighted more than from other players.

For example, big Lamie is universally loved, but he has been prone to 1 bombscare moment a match recently, getting caught in possession and gifting/almost gifting one on ones. Came in the first half yesterday. But they get overlooked.

We should be looking to upgrade from Doyle, and it's another blot on Dufy's record that he has left that position go so long without competition, but i agree with the others above that Doyle is often hung out to dry with nobody showing to help. He often tries to do too much, but regularly it's because he has no other option.

Get Harkins and Tidser away from crossing set-pieces from now on - Ross' final delivery of the game was a far better ball than the 20 million floated shiters that they were putting in previously. When the team is huffing and puffing in open play you need to have a genuine set-piece threat; we haven't replaced Forbes' delivery yet and that might cost us a play-off spot despite having a stronger squad and team than last season. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Archived