Dumbarton V The Famous - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Dumbarton V The Famous

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scullion looks to have chucked it. Seems like a decent lad but as he is never going to make it has to be punted this summer. As for the 'panic' signings of Kudos, Shankland and Donnelly the less said the better. The squad has in some ways over-performed but our inability to sign a half-decent striker to partner Oliver is proving to be the major issue that could scupper our play-off prospects. It is also very disappointing that when we have fans turning up at Dumbarton and against Dunfermline there is little to encourage the part-timers back on a more regular basis.

Shankland isn't to blame but a strikers first and last priority is scoring. Strikers who score once in 30 games are stretching the definition too far. Even Deego could do that and he's got a better haircut as well.

Development squad are struggling up top at the moment. Our better players at that level are John Mitchell a centre back.

And goalkeeper Jamie Mc Gowan.

Both are better up front than Donnelly is imagine

What is the highest competitive level that they've played at? League Two? The Lowland League? That development squad plays against the reserves of utter dross outfits like Ayr, Queens Park etc. every week - and it can't even win that joke league. You already claimed in a different thread today that McGowan was more than capable goalkeeping cover for a side aiming to win promotion to the top flight, but that is quite simply bollocks. None of our direct competitors would rely on either McGowan or a 36 year old Bryn Halliwell to play in a key position.

Due to injuries (fitness issues after Wednesday night) and a lack of depth in key areas of the the squad we badly lack quality at times, as shown by the gubbins lineup put out against Dumbarton. It is to the immense credit of the first team squad and Duffy as a manager that this issue hasn't derailed our season overall.

That issue will not however be solved by making bogus claims that development squad players with no credible experience could step in and do a competent job instead though. Ruthless pragmatism is needed when it comes to the chaff hanging around this current squad. Which applies as much to the development squad as it does to Donnelly.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

In fairness we're getting found out for not securing a half decent striker to support Quitongo. Oyenuga has done nothing to suggest he has goals in him, Shankland will shortly be punted by Aberdeen to Peterhead or Montrose, and Donnelly will be back to car park attendent duties at Parkhead.

We've depended on heroics from ToW and Forbes and a fairly mean defence to get us in contention and we've run out of luck. It's a shame but we don't have the strength in depth to seriously sustain a promotion campaign to completion.

The players on the whole are a great bunch and have restored a huge amount of pride after years of Morton under performing, and Jim Duffy has confounded his critics (myself included) by welding the boys into a team that believes in itself.

The season isn't over yet but it would be a huge ask to imagine we could negotiate a play off campaign that's carefully designed to ensure odds are stacked against clubs like ours.

If a "club like ours" signed a competent centre forward at any stage this season (having lucked into and then losing Quitongo through injury), they'd be competing for the title. Morton are still in the box seats for the play-offs, if the team can replicate the strong home form of the past 12 months.

Your analysis was accurate until it went down that route of a grand conspiracy.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Said it earlier, but it's important, a goalscorer and perhaps another capable winger is all we've lacked this season. We're fine everywhere else on the pitch, we just don't have anyone capable of putting the ball in the net on a regular basis.

If a "club like ours" signed a competent centre forward at any stage this season (having lucked into and then losing Quitongo through injury), they'd be competing for the title. Morton are still in the box seats for the play-offs, if the team can replicate the strong home form of the past 12 months.

Your analysis was accurate until it went down that route of a grand conspiracy.

I'd argue that it's not so much a conspiracy as just a fact of life. We don't have anywhere near the resources of Hibs, Dundee Utd to attract a competent centre forward which is why we've had to put up with the hit or miss world of bargain basement loans. JD has done pretty well in the loan department but it must be a hard sell in comparison to some of our rivals.

Last years playoffs showed that all the advantages lie with the premiership club (2 games against Falkirks 4 or Hibs 6). Smaller squads like ours simply don't compete on a level playing field.

VT hits the nail on the head. Had we had a remotely decent striker yesterday we would have walked it yesterday. Relying on O'Ware and Forbes for goals isn't enough. Our midfielders should be having a pop at every sight of goal too. Murdoch has a ferocious shot on him. But mainly we need Quitongo back to disrupt defences in a way that Shankland or Donnelly can't.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

While I understand some of what VT is saying regarding development league players. How does he know that guys like maybe McGowan or Mitchell or Strapp couldn't come in to first team and be comfortable in that environment?

You say they are playing dross every week. It was the same dross that quitongo played against and in fact he actually struggled to get games at times. But that kid through injuries or whatever was giving an opportunity and he grabbed it and really kicked on.

All my point is that we have a couple of players in development squad that could possibly do exactly the same.

And with respect VT I think I've seen more development football than yourself.

...could possibly...

Could possibly. They could possibly cut it.

Nobody is saying they aren't talented and that they don't deserve a shot at some point.

But you said on another post that it would be shocking or a travesty if Halliwell got a chance instead of McGowan if needed in the playoffs.

Crunch playoff games with so much at stake are not the place to throw in a largely untested young goalkeeper regardless of whether you think they 'could possibly' cut it. Careful development of a player says that is something that has as much chance of wrecking their career as it does making it, if it goes wrong.

They will get a chance, pre-season or off the bench, but not in crunch playoff games.

If something goes wrong with Gaston (or the wedding thing turns out to be a real issue) it is entirely warranted that we try to go with an experienced keeper rather than McGowan.

I think the objection is being made to the following, which i assume was tongue in cheek...

"Mitchell a centre back.

And goalkeeper Jamie Mc Gowan.

Both are better up front than Donnelly is imagine"

It was tongue in cheek yes. I was just making the point that these are probably the two 20s players who have done the best this season and maybe deserve a chance.

As for McGowan over halliwell? It's only my opinion that Jamie would be a better option.

If the Gaston wedding/holiday rumour is true I find it embarrassing that a professional footballer and club has allowed this to happen

It was tongue in cheek yes. I was just making the point that these are probably the two 20s players who have done the best this season and maybe deserve a chance.

As for McGowan over halliwell? It's only my opinion that Jamie would be a better option.

If the Gaston wedding/holiday rumour is true I find it embarrassing that a professional footballer and club has allowed this to happen

I suppose if Gaston booked and paid a fairly hefty amount for it when for example we were still playing in Leauge 1 it's understandable how this could have occurred. It must have cost an arm and a leg and rearranging it is probably out of the question as it's not as though he's on a huge wage.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

The thing that bothers me is there must be better than Halliwell out there?

It's not even just that. If it's something that's been arranged for a while then there's not much that Gaston can do about it now. However, we went through a transfer window knowing this was a distinct possibility, released McNeil and did nothing to rectify the problem until now. 

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

I'd argue that it's not so much a conspiracy as just a fact of life. We don't have anywhere near the resources of Hibs, Dundee Utd to attract a competent centre forward which is why we've had to put up with the hit or miss world of bargain basement loans. JD has done pretty well in the loan department but it must be a hard sell in comparison to some of our rivals.

Last years playoffs showed that all the advantages lie with the premiership club (2 games against Falkirks 4 or Hibs 6). Smaller squads like ours simply don't compete on a level playing field.

Loy was available in January but went to that omnishambles instead. We signed Shankland and gave new deals to Oyenuga and Scullion. If Loy were in our squad, even a modest return of five or six goals would far surpass the tally of those three players combined.

We do work with more limited resources and so there will be a lack of depth - the forward issue however has been ongoing since the summer and we didn't clear out enough dross to solve it in January. We only have ourselves to blame for that one.

Archived