Dumbarton V The Famous - Page 7 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Dumbarton V The Famous

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not as if this hasn't happened to players before. In the end they fulfill their obligations as players - they don't really have a choice if they want to keep earning a living at a club.

I'd be surprised if this is stay the reason we've brought in another keeper though. It's sensible to have a third choice in case of injury at this stage.

Simple solution: reschedule the wedding.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

We're all kind of jumping the gun here are we not?

For all we know the club do know about it and, if it was booked years ago as Toby suggested, it was probably done during one of his one year contracts.

Makes no difference if he was on a one year contract or a long term one. With that, he wouldn't know where he'd be playing and therefore could have been at any club in with a playoff potential. Can imagine the conversations along the line of 'I can sign, but if you get to the playoffs I can't play'. WTF?

I've been to several job interviews where they ask if you have any holidays booked. But surely that conversation is not needed in professional sport.

Shambles. Whether he's solely to blame or if someone at the club authorised it so is also to blame, either way it just shouldn't have been allowed to happen.

Surely there's a standard date where preseason starts, a date that comes after all potential fixtures have been played. Any extra time before that when a club isn't involved in the later games is a bonus rather than an expectation. Surely you don't book anything that comes before that date? It's just madness to do anything else.

When looking ahead to this year's holidays, my girlfriend wanted to go on holiday in May. I told her to bolt, it'll be June, because we might be in the playoffs. I'm just a fan and can make that decision, not a player...

As someone who is planning their own wedding for this summer, I feel in a reasonable position to say that for Gaston to reschedule his would be far from a 'simple solution'.

Having said that, I'd like to think all options, including that, are being looked at.

Get it cancelled then.

Makes no difference if he was on a one year contract or a long term one. With that, he wouldn't know where he'd be playing and therefore could have been at any club in with a playoff potential. Can imagine the conversations along the line of 'I can sign, but if you get to the playoffs I can't play'. WTF?

I've been to several job interviews where they ask if you have any holidays booked. But surely that conversation is not needed in professional sport.

Shambles. Whether he's solely to blame or if someone at the club authorised it so is also to blame, either way it just shouldn't have been allowed to happen.

Surely there's a standard date where preseason starts, a date that comes after all potential fixtures have been played. Any extra time before that when a club isn't involved in the later games is a bonus rather than an expectation. Surely you don't book anything that comes before that date? It's just madness to do anything else.

When looking ahead to this year's holidays, my girlfriend wanted to go on holiday in May. I told her to bolt, it'll be June, because we might be in the playoffs. I'm just a fan and can make that decision, not a player...

Any permanent contract in the Scottish leagues (i.e. a year or more) runs until at least the end of May. That's why clubs don't have to secure temporary extensions to cover the play-offs. A Scottish league footballer who plans a significant, non-obligatory event during that anticipated period of the contract is breaking the spirit of any deal.

On the other side - a professional club that doesn't resolve that situation by providing any form of competent cover deserves all that it gets. The timing of the disclosure is crucial: if Morton have known about an issue since January at least, then the club is also significantly at fault. Its solution looks piss-poor regardless.

More like an omnishambles IMO

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

We've got Hibs, St Mirren & Raith in the space of a week. We can't afford to rotate in any of them.

We can afford to rotate against Raith: we did so the last time and won 1-0. The worst case scenario (like on Saturday) is that we gift points to a team that can relegate the spoon-burners. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

After Nesbitt playing & scoring for Celtic youth last night in the cup semi, do you think they had any say at all in his inclusion on Saturday? Im not really sure how the loan system works between clubs other than they can ask for first team action for their player going on loan or be promised it theoretically (as much as possible) & sometimes they cant play against their parent club. Surely Celtic have no sway over Nesbitt's inclusion/limited game time on Saturday though?

Was the changes just Duffy deciding he was tired as well as Oliver & Forbes, or do you think he was asked not to play him for 90 mins? I know he has been playing for Celtic youth throughout the season and this isn't a one off, but the fact he was too shattered to play a full game for us apparently, then goes on to play the full game (assuming he did since he scored in the first half) on the Monday night seems strange.

"He's not the messiah........He's a very naughty boy!.............Now P*ss Off!"

It seems to me that Duffy is unwilling to push the squad too far in pursuit of second place. We could see a bit more squad management, of the type we saw on Saturday, in the next few weeks.

If that's the plan we should just play the weans til the playoffs.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

It seems to me that Duffy is unwilling to push the squad too far in pursuit of second place. We could see a bit more squad management, of the type we saw on Saturday, in the next few weeks.

Very short sighted and disappointing if the case

I don't think Duffy is thinking that at all. I think he will be desperate for 2nd place.

Very short sighted and disappointing if the case

All I'm saying is that if Duffy saw beating Dumbarton as vital, I don't think we would have lined up like that. He's measuring risk of losing players to injury against the importance of matches. Saturday's line up would suggest that winning that match wasn't worth the risk - I'm not sure that would have been the approach if we had won the week before. That's not to say we're nor going to aim for second, just not at the risk of injuring or burning out key players.

Archived