Match Preview/Thread - Arbroath vs Morton (20th April) - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Arbroath vs Morton (20th April)

Duncan Ferguson meltdown accusing Arbroath players of downing tools.

Arbroath not happy. Caley apologise but Arbroath still demanding a retraction.

Mindgames and squeaky bums.

Seems a fair comment from Ferguson, frankly. When you're already relegated your mental state simply will change, you can't help it. "Downed tools" is maybe a little harsh because these guys are still professionals and will want a contract at Arbroath or elsewhere, but they're not going to have the fire that they would if survival was still possible. 

• Downvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

2 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Seems a fair comment from Ferguson, frankly. When you're already relegated your mental state simply will change, you can't help it. "Downed tools" is maybe a little harsh because these guys are still professionals and will want a contract at Arbroath or elsewhere, but they're not going to have the fire that they would if survival was still possible. 

I don’t agree it is a fair statement. I watched his press conference today (why do daft wee clubs like Inverness and Ayr have press conferences for one local hack and the club media guy?) and he repeatedly alludes to it.

There’s a clear intent to do a “Fergie” and get the desired reaction from the Arbroath players the way Ferguson did to Leeds in 1996, sparking Kevin Keegan’s outburst. It doesn’t show him in a good light.

It should be noted that Arbroath have said Inverness have apologised, but I don’t see anything public from them as yet. This sounds like a similar scenario to Scott Gardiner privately apologising for Dodds’ nonsense in the Cappielow boardroom, but refusing to do so publicly.

They really aren’t a very likeable club at all, I would love it if we beat them.

43 minutes ago, Toby said:

I don’t agree it is a fair statement. I watched his press conference today (why do daft wee clubs like Inverness and Ayr have press conferences for one local hack and the club media guy?) and he repeatedly alludes to it.

There’s a clear intent to do a “Fergie” and get the desired reaction from the Arbroath players the way Ferguson did to Leeds in 1996, sparking Kevin Keegan’s outburst. It doesn’t show him in a good light.

It should be noted that Arbroath have said Inverness have apologised, but I don’t see anything public from them as yet. This sounds like a similar scenario to Scott Gardiner privately apologising for Dodds’ nonsense in the Cappielow boardroom, but refusing to do so publicly.

They really aren’t a very likeable club at all, I would love it if we beat them.

He’s not very bright…….

Imrie confirmed in his preview that Strapp is done for the season and Wilson likely is too, but Oakley should be back tomorrow.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

First and foremost, get the win today and secure our spot for next season. Secondly I hope that any out of contact players that feature in our last games actually put in a performance to at least showcase themselves to potential new clubs and scouts. It would be nice to see what some of them can actually do before we send them off with our best wishes 

Just get the win today and get us over the line. 

It's a shame no Strapp or Wilson as we are a much better team with them in the squad. Ferguson knew exactly what he was doing with the Arbroath comments and I fully expect them to make it difficult for us they can now relax and play without pressure. 

Hopefully a few of the boys got a rocket up there arse from last week and we see much better performances, will stick my neck out and say 2-1. 

Mullen

French   baird   broadfoot waters

Blues     Gillespie 

Garrity      Crawford      Muirhead 

Oakley

Subs - murdoch, O'connor, power, bearne, McGrattan, quitongo

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come