Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Dundee United (5th March) - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Dundee United (5th March)

Imrie wants a team to reflect him on the park, give 100% and leave nothing on the pitch.  One thing that our squad hasn’t learnt yet……is to be more street wise and get in about the ref.  All night the ref was getting Utd players in both ears and we are nowhere to be seen.  Nobody is stepping up ,  nobody in a Ton shirt is getting angry.  Despite the big bad Morton rhetoric, we are toothless.  No players are getting angry, nobody other than Dougie directing traffic from the dugout.   

Same happened on Saturday…… ICT in about the ref all game.  We need to learn to step up and play that game as well as start passing the ba’ on the deck……… 

8 minutes ago, DaftTon74 said:

Although we definitely did not deserve to win the game I certainly don’t think we deserved to lose it. They had one clear chance and a quality striker has taken it.

What is extremely concerning is how much we are reliant on Oakley. Completely incapable of creating any threat in the final third without him.

Record Without Oakley in the league this season:

P10 W0 D4 L6 Goals scored 5. (0 in the last 5 without him 0-0 ICT (a), 0-0 airdrie (a), 0-0 Raith (a), 0-2 ICT (h), 0-1 Dundee Utd (h). 

Monday night could be an interesting one…

I knew Oakley was key to how we play, but fucking hell that is a horrendous stat. We maybe tried to get another striker in on loan, but if we didn’t even attempt to bring one in then questions need to be asked. An injury to 2 players and we are an abysmal team. 

That was rubbish. Constant hoofs which Gallagher and Holt lapped up. We're just a bit shit without Oakley and our pressing game seems to have disappeared. 

We need a Plan B until Oakley comes back, whether that be a change of formation. I'd like to see Bearne get a chance. He had a good spell in December time and then was suddenly bombed out and we haven't seen him since. 

4th should have been ours but now I'm back to looking at 9th. Partick away next so doesn't get easier.

That was a really tough watch. Route one all night up to Quitongo which just never worked even when Muirhead switched to up front we were still getting it straight back. 

No real game plan and don't even think their keeper had a save to make, if Oakley is out for a long period we really are fecked. 

I honestly have no clue why we decided to just launch the ball all day when it was clear their centre halfs strolled the game it's a piss poor game plan and persisting with it got us nowhere. 

If we play like that against Hearts they will rip us apart. 

Not seen it mentioned but the loss of Broadfoot playing it from the back probably hasn't helped us either. Baird and O'Connor are probably more solid defensively but he's more likely to play it out from defence and into the forwards feet so is better especially when we don't have someone like Oakley up top. 

11 minutes ago, DaftTon74 said:

Although we definitely did not deserve to win the game I certainly don’t think we deserved to lose it. They had one clear chance and a quality striker has taken it.

Mullen pulled off a good save in either half. 

34 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

Ref was shocking, but we were equally as bad. We've reverted to long ball nonsense again. It's terrible to watch and it's nowhere near as effective as we seem to think.

Alan Power was the only player willing to take the ball down and try and pass it.

The one chance we created second half came as a result of about 10 passes. Shock.

All the other times we tried to pass through Dundee United's press, O'Connor misplaced a fairly basic pass or French shelled the ball to nobody. Dundee United weren't sitting back while we played long ball - to play passing football against that side you need to take care of the ball better. We couldn't use Mullen to pass the ball through either because of injury and the two holding midfielders (who were fine otherwise) don't have the dynamism to avoid being tracked easily either. There were no easy passes on. 

The real problem is that whej you either choose or are forced to feed off scraps, you need to actually challenge the first and second balls effectively. We've stopped doing that and it's not just due to the absence of Oakley. Quitongo and Muirhead were lucky if they won 20-80;of their contests but others like Blues and Crawford have been 40-60 in the past two games as well. That's the difference between winning possession and pressure in the opposition half and an 'aimless punt that doesn't work', right there. 

We were better than Saturday and even the extra couple of days before the cup game (and before the next league match too) will hopefully be beneficial. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

not a great game tonight but I felt we were unfortunate not to take something from it.  Airdrie are breathing down our necks now with their win tonight and a game in hand.  At this stage I am more concerned about getting Shug & Oakley back & and making a strong finish to the league campaign than I am about how we play against Hearts.  If offered a scudding against hearts but finishing in a playoff spot I would gladly take it

1 hour ago, ChampTon said:

Our inability to deal with injuries is embarrassing. 

We only have one "striker" at the club and if he doesn't play we are fucking mince - look at the results with or without Oakley. 

Muirhead is a striker. He is a different type of striker to Oakley but the idea that we can just pigeonhole our players into these unique little roles in the team is nonsense. Muirhead chipped in fine earlier the season and is not doing so currently; I fail to see what some Ally Roy ringer would have automatically contributed instead. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

That bit of trickery by Garrity towards the end was absolutely tremendous but why the fuck did he feel the need to dive?!?  The cageyness around Oakleys injury is bugging me btw, no timescale of when he's back?  Surely we know the extent of his injury by now.

Edited by LargsTON

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

25 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

That bit of trickery by Garrity towards the end was absolutely tremendous but why the fuck did he feel the need to dive?!?  The cageyness around Oakleys injury is bugging me btw, no timescale of when he's back?  Surely we know the extent of his injury by now.

I’m hoping he has been left to recover as much as possible for the Hearts game, and maybe if that wasn’t around the corner he may have been able to contribute tonight. Obviously the league is a priority but the impact on finances that a Scottish Cup semi-final appearance would have for the club can’t be dismissed either. 

What I don’t get, is the point in signing Jack Bearne, especially on a 2-year deal and never really giving him a chance. We’ve just played 4 games in 10 days and the boy is lucky if he got 20 minutes in that period. McGrattan was poor on Saturday, and Bearne at least put himself about and tried to get involved in the short time he was on. McGrattan gets on ahead of him tonight, and contributed heehaw again. 

In amongst the poor fare on show tonight there were still some decent performances.....notably Allan Power who was absolutely outstanding.  Our 2 centre halfs were also excellent, distribution aside but there were mitigating circumstances there.  We'll be back, this is a spell that was always going to come around eventually.  These players have done us proud and deserve the time to turn it round again.  Which they will, no doubt in my mind.

• Upvote 1

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

That was a dreadful performance, constant aimless punts up to nobody. There are of course mitigating circumstances and Dougie’s options were  severely limited, but we looked shambolic up front.

Airdrie are now two points behind us with a game in hand. We need to beat them when we play them at their place, and someone putting that hyphenated defender of theirs in hospital would be nice. His assault on Oakley has cost us big time.

Was looking forward to the cup game but now it looks a lot less attractive. If Oakley isn’t back for that one I can’t see us getting through to the semis. I’m assuming Wilson is out for the rest of the season.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Though Garrity made an impact when he came on he was direct and positive. Bearne is clearly not fancied I don't see the logic in a two year deal if he is barely going to feature.

Sounds like we are now back to the bare bones we didn't deal with it well before so will be interesting to see what happens now, I do think we maybe should have done a bit in January, to let players go and not get anyone in was strange okay the team was in a great run but a few I injuries and we now look poor.

I genuinely have the fear for the cup game. 

29 minutes ago, RossMcC1874 said:

I genuinely have the fear for the cup game. 

Did you watch the Airdrie vs Hearts game? They look like a proper Premiership side - well-drilled and full of quality. Shankland’s a machine, but all of their goals were absolute gems. At the time of the draw, we were unburstable, and outwith the usual rose-tinted hope all teams at our level have when presented with the opportunity to kill a giant, I genuinely thought that we’d give them a game - maybe even providing one of those legendary ‘shock results’ which make the Cup so special.

But now - I can just see us getting steamrollered. The great disadvantage of having such a fantastic unbeaten run is that it doubly hurts when the collapse happens. We get lulled into a false sense of security, believing that our team is invincible, without ever realising how vulnerable we are when two critical cogs in the gears go missing. Best wishes to George and Iain for a speedy recovery. 

• Downvote 1

When we actually decided to play the ball on the deck we seen our best passage of play in the game last night. The amount of long balls has been awful, and this tactic has been more apparent in the last few games without Oakley.

Difficult ask for Jai & Mullen who are still clearly carrying injuries. Jai clearly having to hold back with his hamstring taped up and same with Mullens right thigh as we seen him reverting to throws and using his left. 2 great saves from Mullen though 👏🏻 Alan Power absolutely strolling it in the middle of the park is a great watch too!

Hearts are always going to be a tough one but going into it off 2 defeats and missing key players, we need everyone at it next week to get anywhere near them. Hopefully some Hearts players are right off it and we take the next 5 days to get some decent recovery in with maybe Oakley making an appearance on Monday 🙏🏻 

30 minutes ago, Tubes said:

When we actually decided to play the ball on the deck we seen our best passage of play in the game last night. The amount of long balls has been awful, and this tactic has been more apparent in the last few games without Oakley.

Difficult ask for Jai & Mullen who are still clearly carrying injuries. Jai clearly having to hold back with his hamstring taped up and same with Mullens right thigh as we seen him reverting to throws and using his left. 2 great saves from Mullen though 👏🏻 Alan Power absolutely strolling it in the middle of the park is a great watch too!

Hearts are always going to be a tough one but going into it off 2 defeats and missing key players, we need everyone at it next week to get anywhere near them. Hopefully some Hearts players are right off it and we take the next 5 days to get some decent recovery in with maybe Oakley making an appearance on Monday 🙏🏻 

Imrie said in an interview after the game with that Calum Mcfadyen character that Oakley is out until the end of the month. Hopefully it's just Imrie playing mind games. 

I like that the highlights put in the bit when Jai kicks the ball off Grimshaw to go behind for what should be a corner, only for the referee (who has a clear view) to give a goal kick. The standard of refereeing recently has been beyond awful. 

In the first half last night there was a lengthy stoppage for an injury, a long wait to restart after the goal, and plenty of other time wasting from Dundee Utd (with the referee pointing to his watch to indicate this 2 or 3 times). And then he only adds about a minute on at the end of the half. The Cowshed linesman was hopeless, it was as if he was refusing to watch the match - there was genuinely very, very little skill involved in what he did last night, any person with even the most rudimentary grasp of the rules could have done the job as well as he did. 

7 hours ago, RossMcC1874 said:

Though Garrity made an impact when he came on he was direct and positive. Bearne is clearly not fancied I don't see the logic in a two year deal if he is barely going to feature.

If a player's not performing well enough in training and/or game time then he shouldn't be playing, whether we gave him a two year deal in the summer or not. 

• Upvote 2