Match Preview/Thread - Clyde vs Morton (16th July) - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Clyde vs Morton (16th July)

Admin

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Alibi said:

Fucking hell, how are we losing to Clyde? Are we that bad. Yes, I know Easdale’s on but even so…

We’ve had one clear chance and fluffed it. Clyde have had at least three and scored the hardest one.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

7 minutes ago, Brian Skelton said:

Better get used to it Alibi unless we get more bodies in.

The bodies that we already have should be more than good enough to dispatch rabble like 'Clyde'. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

It really is laughable that Easdale gets a start. I get why there is a pressure to play him, but I feel for the boy who will know deep down himself he’s miles out his depth. Hopefully Imrie has started him as a message to the board that he needs more cash for a striker. 

5 minutes ago, Scott said:

Hopefully Imrie has started him as a message to the board that he needs more cash for a striker. 

Perhaps he should concentrate more on winning games of football rather than sending weekly passive-aggressive messages to the board. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

NB: I don't actually think there's any such message. Muirhead isn't match fit and Quitongo is suspended. And so we don't have a credible centre forward in the middle of July - it's that straightforward.

But the idea that the manager is to be applauded for deliberately setting up a crap team to somehow increase a fixed budget is completely ridiculous. There is no hidden warchest and so the leverage is zero. 

1 minute ago, vikingTON said:

Perhaps he should concentrate more on winning games of football rather than sending weekly passive-aggressive messages to the board. 

Feel very very hesitant to say anything negative about Dougie but I do think some fans have really taken praise of him too far. He has time to sort this out but if this is the squad that we still have in September then I'd be hyper critical of his squad building skills. Luckily it's July and not the time for being hypercritical but I am slightly concerned

Don't see today's team as a message to the board, more the reality of the situation. 

I don't see the same enthusiasm in Imrie in his interviews compared to during last season, which is a worry before the season has even started. 

I'd imagine he's been pretty scunnered from the moment he was given a smaller budget than last season and he's not seen anything over the summer to change that. The investment that was supposedly meant to improve his budget was this 5 figure sponsorship deal that Gordon Ritchie mentioned at the EGM, yet we've not heard anything more about that unless I've missed it. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

3 minutes ago, so72 said:

Feel very very hesitant to say anything negative about Dougie but I do think some fans have really taken praise of him too far. He has time to sort this out but if this is the squad that we still have in September then I'd be hyper critical of his squad building skills. Luckily it's July and not the time for being hypercritical but I am slightly concerned

I'm not concerned because I expect us to add a centre forward and hopefully a central midfielder on loan. Compared to Duffy-era teams where we wouldn't be phoning up his agent mate for a half dozen ringers yet, we'd actually be well set up as a squad if those additions are of sufficient quality*. That's going to make or break things.

We are struggling right now because of injuries and suspensions. We also should have been more ruthless in emptying players over the summer, but I doubt The Board were any more responsible for handing Blues or Muirhead (for example) a new deal than signing Quitongo or Gillespie. That's the manager's choices and we'll see how they work out over the season.

* We also need a backup goalkeeper because Schwake is pro-active and so will give away more penalties and red cards. 

The thing with the budget issues is that there’s a few levels to it and nobody comes out particularly well. People have made a lot of Imrie’s comments on the radio but he’s been saying for some time that he’s not got much room for manoeuvre and I struggle to see that he’s just brazenly lying to us, so it seems clear that there is indeed not a huge pot available to him.

More worryingly he also said that the club want to have more youth players in the squad. That’s horribly reminiscent of the fiasco of the previous relegation season, and there was far more quality in that squad than we have now.

That said though, nobody at all forced him to offer new contracts to players like Blues, Oliver and McLean, and nobody forced him to sign guys that barely kicked a ball for a mid-table League 1 side last season who’ve done absolutely nothing to suggest they were playing below their level and merited a step up to the Championship. That’s Imrie’s fault and nobody else’s, and if he can’t get a tune out of them the responsibility will sit squarely with him.

That said though, this situation is utterly absurd and shouldn’t be being tolerated. Yes, costs are rising, but the climate is nonetheless much more favourable than in the last few Covid-struck seasons, season ticket sales are up, there’s a huge increase in commercial activity, there’s MCT money and there’s the most expensive ticket prices in the league outside Dundee. It’s simply not good enough to be giving the manager buttons and the club’s owners should be due an explanation as to what’s going on.

AWMSC

10 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

I'm not concerned because I expect us to add a centre forward and hopefully a central midfielder on loan. Compared to Duffy-era teams where we wouldn't be phoning up his agent mate for a half dozen ringers yet, we'd actually be well set up as a squad if those additions are of sufficient quality*. That's going to make or break things.

We are struggling right now because of injuries and suspensions. We also should have been more ruthless in emptying players over the summer, but I doubt The Board were any more responsible for handing Blues or Muirhead (for example) a new deal than signing Quitongo or Gillespie. That's the manager's choices and we'll see how they work out over the season.

* We also need a backup goalkeeper because Schwake is pro-active and so will give away more penalties and red cards. 

With you completely. A striker who scores double figures and a good cm and we have a decent first 11 with  some backup.

13 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Don't see today's team as a message to the board, more the reality of the situation. 

I don't see the same enthusiasm in Imrie in his interviews compared to during last season, which is a worry before the season has even started. 

I'd imagine he's been pretty scunnered from the moment he was given a smaller budget than last season and he's not seen anything over the summer to change that.

What evidence do you have for that claim, and what do you mean by smaller? Is this a 'in real terms' claim that everyone else is flinging around at the moment?

Edit: Scratched the rest as I thought you were referring to the shares and not the sponsorship. You're absolutely correct to point out that hasn't been seen since.

32 minutes ago, Scott said:

It really is laughable that Easdale gets a start. I get why there is a pressure to play him, but I feel for the boy who will know deep down himself he’s miles out his depth. Hopefully Imrie has started him as a message to the board that he needs more cash for a striker. 

We supposed to just write off every pile of bullshit as a wee message these days?

1 minute ago, vikingTON said:

What evidence do you have for that claim, and what do you mean by smaller? Is this a 'in real terms' claim that everyone else is flinging around at the moment. 

"The investment that was supposedly meant to improve his budget was this 5 figure sponsorship deal that Gordon Ritchie mentioned at the EGM, yet we've not heard anything more about that unless I've missed it."

That wasn't the case because the terms of investment were never going to be negotiated with an outside party, then put to an EGM and approved by MCT members before the end of this summer.

That said I can fully understand why you'd think that, because Gordon Ritchie unwisely (IMO) conflated the issue of allowing negotiations with investors as "putting money in Dougie's budget" - or words to that effect - at the June EGM. That was a pitch that shouldn't have been made in my view and so has set up expectations that could not be delivered. If Imrie is here next season then it would hopefully add to his budget, but he's not contracted until then and so it was wrong to use that at the meeting. 

There's information I've been told from good sources that I won't get in to, but even avoiding that Gordon Ritchie said at the EGM when asked that Imrie's budget was originally smaller than last year's budget but after investment it would be around the same. 

The sponsorship deal isn't the potential investment in the club. Ritchie said there was a five figure sponsorship deal with a brand that would be our second biggest sponsorship after Mcgills, and that the company wanted to announce it along with the club so he wouldn't say who. There's not been a peep about that deal since and given that was the funds that was supposed to help increase Imrie's budget I'm just wondering what has happened to that sponsorship. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

That’s a shocking result. 2 games against lower league opposition, scored none. Definitely not going to Easter Rd on Wednesday. Playing Easdale is just taking the piss.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Archived