Squad for next Season - Page 102 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

11 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

I'll hazard a guess that the Tik-tok-er guy isn't getting signed either.

In the tele today that none of the trialists are getting offered a contract. Deane was the only one I thought was good enough but it's not really ideal that we've had trialists in for weeks and are now at a stage of the seasom where we can't give new trialists any games and have nothing to show for it so far. 

• Upvote 1

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

30 minutes ago, port-ton said:

In the tele today that none of the trialists are getting offered a contract. Deane was the only one I thought was good enough but it's not really ideal that we've had trialists in for weeks and are now at a stage of the seasom where we can't give new trialists any games and have nothing to show for it so far. 

Doubt that sets us back all that much.

Trialists in the hope of unearthing a gem whilst pressing on with your existing squad building plans.

I'm ok with the decision not to offer any of the trialists a deal. Deane was the only one that I think couod have added something to the squad but I'm going to trust Dougies judgement and assume he has other targets. 

Don't understand some of the outrage on twitter and pnb because we haven't signed Deane. Dougie has a very good record with signings.

• Upvote 2

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

9 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

I'm ok with the decision not to offer any of the trialists a deal. Deane was the only one that I think couod have added something to the squad but I'm going to trust Dougies judgement and assume he has other targets. 

Don't understand some of the outrage on twitter and pnb because we haven't signed Deane. Dougie has a very good record with signings.

Well Deane showed more in 2 half-games than Ali Crawford did the whole loan spell. I trust Dougie and will see who he brings in but think its an opportunity missed

Just now, so72 said:

Well Deane showed more in 2 half-games than Ali Crawford did the whole loan spell. I trust Dougie and will see who he brings in but think its an opportunity missed

Playong devils advocate here. Did he though?

One assist....

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, port-ton said:

It's disappointing, yes, but on the other hand I'd rather Dougie didn't offer contracts in a panic measure if he doesn't think they're up to scratch. I'm sure some of his predecessors would have offered contracts to some of them, but I don't think he'll drop the bar just to fill the squad with jobbers.

Biggest surprise and disappointment was the Deane fella who did look like a player against St Mirren who could offer something different. But we only saw glimpses of him whereas Dougie saw him in training over several days, so he was of course in a far better position to make an overall assessment. The pass for the 2nd goal was sublime, and it's easy to assume we'd see that from him regularly, but clearly Dougie didn't see enough of that on the training pitch to convince him that would be the case. Of course it could be a big mistake and he could go on to be a superstar, but I'm sure he didn't make the decision lightly and without good reason.

Edited by Cet Homme Charmant
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

But we only saw glimpses of him whereas Dougie saw him in training over several days, so he was of course in a far better position to make an overall assessment.

He was with us from day one of preseason so Dougie had plenty of time to assess him.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Cappiecat 1.2 said:

He was with us from day one of preseason so Dougie had plenty of time to assess him.

Which was indeed my point. You never know with an 18 year old... in the next couple of years he could turn into a superstar, a solid but unremarkable professional, a lower league jobber, or leave the game completely. Dougie made a call, and only time will tell if it was the right one.

14 minutes ago, Scott said:

Seems to be chat of there being no money left to sign any more players. Bit concerning if true, still short of 2 or 3 IMO. 

Where's this been mentioned?

Frankie Deanes dad saying he wanted to sign but no money. I had heard that Dougie wanted to sign him and Deane wanted to sign but couldn't due to something to do with the budget. What that means for the playing budget I don't know. Is it smaller than it was last season? Has it been cut further recently that Dougie wasn't expecting or is it something else. I'm sure it will come out in the end as always. 

I'm hoping we still have the budget for a rightback as we desperately need one. Anything else is just padding to the squad. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

23 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Frankie Deanes dad saying he wanted to sign but no money. I had heard that Dougie wanted to sign him and Deane wanted to sign but couldn't due to something to do with the budget. What that means for the playing budget I don't know. Is it smaller than it was last season? Has it been cut further recently that Dougie wasn't expecting or is it something else. I'm sure it will come out in the end as always. 

I'm hoping we still have the budget for a rightback as we desperately need one. Anything else is just padding to the squad. 

Possibly just not enough flex in the budget to take a risk on an 18 year old who may or may not be ready to contribute regularly in the first team  but who was likely on a decent wage at his last gig so looking for a deal akin to one of our first team regulars.

Seems fairly understandable if that's the scenario rather than alarming.

22 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Imrie would probably want to sign half a dozen additional young squad players, but we don't have the budget for that. It's perfectly reasonable for the Imrie to tell the lad that he'd love to sign him if the budget was available for that. 

There's a big difference between not having the budget for that and not having the budget for any more players. 

5 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Imrie would probably want to sign half a dozen additional young squad players, but we don't have the budget for that. It's perfectly reasonable for the Imrie to tell the lad that he'd love to sign him if the budget was available for that. 

There's a big difference between not having the budget for that and not having the budget for any more players. 

Given Imrie's transfer record of ins and outs at the club I'd say 6 additional young players is the last thing he wants at the club so if he wanted Deane then there's a reason why. From what Ive heard he didn't tell him he'd love to sign him but couldn't, the deal was agreed and then pulled for some sort of budgetary reason that I'm not aware of. 

We as fans can only judge it once we see what the rest of our transfer window is like, so while there's no need for panic it's still the sort of bizarre Morton story that seems to rear it's head and then come out in to the open later like the financial worries last summer that no one believed until the club released a statement. 

32.gif

9 hours ago, port-ton said:

Given Imrie's transfer record of ins and outs at the club I'd say 6 additional young players is the last thing he wants at the club so if he wanted Deane then there's a reason why. From what Ive heard he didn't tell him he'd love to sign him but couldn't, the deal was agreed and then pulled for some sort of budgetary reason that I'm not aware of. 

We as fans can only judge it once we see what the rest of our transfer window is like, so while there's no need for panic it's still the sort of bizarre Morton story that seems to rear it's head and then come out in to the open later like the financial worries last summer that no one believed until the club released a statement. 

Any manager would want a healthy collection of young players that could compete to break into the starting team. That's not the budget situation at Morton, hence why that Imrie had gone about things the way he has. He very well might have wanted Deane as another, slightly different attacking midfield option and tried to get the club to offer him something. A right back is obviously the priority right now, though. 

Stories of this nature come out all the time. Sometimes they have truth, sometimes they don't, sometimes it's a mix of those. I thought it was pretty clear last summer that things were going to be very tight, there was plenty oevidence of that. A player or a player's family member can often be a terrible source, though, because they can very easily get the wrong end of the stick. Perhaps something has gone on behind the scenes, but not signing an additional midfield player at a moment we don't need one isn't evidence, in itself, of a problem. Maybe things will be tighter than Imrie hoped, but there's no reason at this point not to be cynical about rumours of this nature. 

Would have been nice to have Deane as a different option but midfield really isn't a priority for us.

With Crawford, Gillespie, Blues, Garrity, King and even Mcgrattan if we are really struggling there is plenty in there, main priority is a right back and always has been since losing Grimshaw. Another backup Goalkeeper is also a must. 

If we get a decent option at right back and another keeper, then I would suspect that might be us done with such a small budget, I wonder if a few loans also to maybe just beef up the numbers and not break the bank to much. 

If I had to hazard a guess it would appear we are actually spending less on wages this season so far than we did last year. We also don't have a RB or a back up keeper or any loan players yet. Are Dalrada not interested in giving us the money for a new signing or two like last season? Mentions of them have been awful quiet this pre-season.  

I'm sure there's still plenty of folk interested in getting a season ticket but are looking at how bare our squad looks and not bothering. If I hadn't already gotten mine during the early bird, I would be having thoughts about not getting one as of now. People do like an exciting signing. Deane was a player to get fans off their seats, like on Saturday.

• Downvote 7

25 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

If I had to hazard a guess it would appear we are actually spending less on wages this season so far than we did last year. We also don't have a RB or a back up keeper or any loan players yet. Are Dalrada not interested in giving us the money for a new signing or two like last season? Mentions of them have been awful quiet this pre-season.  

I'm sure there's still plenty of folk interested in getting a season ticket but are looking at how bare our squad looks and not bothering. If I hadn't already gotten mine during the early bird, I would be having thoughts about not getting one as of now. People do like an exciting signing. Deane was a player to get fans off their seats, like on Saturday.

Jesus wept.

• Upvote 2