Squad for next Season - Page 96 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

34 minutes ago, RossMcC1874 said:

Baird signs a contact extension until 2025. Delighted with that he was actually my player of the season last year and has come on leaps and bounds a real leader and I can see him only going strength to strength. Brilliant 

Hopefully he's the first of many to extract their contacts.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Baird would have been my PotY after Grimshaw. He's at his peak now, great to get him on a longer deal.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

7 hours ago, Doddie said:

Great news about Baird. Club captain I expect this season if not then next. Would hope we are looking at  a new deal for McGrattan considering his input last season - be good to get him tied down longer. 

Where's Gillespie off to?

• Upvote 1

Nowhere he’s got a year left. Just seems to be using Baird for all shirt promos etc. also expect king to be pushing for more starts next years so don’t think Gillespie will start every week 

Edited by Doddie

34 minutes ago, Doddie said:

Nowhere he’s got a year left. Just seems to be using Baird for all shirt promos etc. also expect king to be pushing for more starts next years so don’t think Gillespie will start every week 

Yeah I know he is signed up.

Just seen several people saying give Baird the captaincy or expecting it to happen. It's just not really the done thing though is it?

4 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Yeah I know he is signed up.

Just seen several people saying give Baird the captaincy or expecting it to happen. It's just not really the done thing though is it?

It’s not usually but then the captain is usually someone who plays every week. Baird could also be rewarded with the captaincy for signing on long term.

• Downvote 2

51 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

It’s not usually but then the captain is usually someone who plays every week. Baird could also be rewarded with the captaincy for signing on long term.

Rewarding 1... stripping another...

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Rewarding 1... stripping another...

Not saying that’s what I would do. Just saying if Gillespie hasn’t signed the same extension as Baird, and doesn’t play every week due to injury problems, then if Dougie goes that way then that could be his reasoning. We’ll find out soon enough and I’ll be okay with it either way.

• Downvote 4

Michael Doyle has apparently been spotted training with us.  I know the gaffer said in his recent interview not to read too much into any new faces we see in training as he would be allowing some lads to come in to work on their fitness etc, but this one would actually make sense given our need for a RB (and if I’m not mistaken I’m sure he is able to play at CB too?).  

3 minutes ago, Greacen2000 said:

Michael Doyle has apparently been spotted training with us.  I know the gaffer said in his recent interview not to read too much into any new faces we see in training as he would be allowing some lads to come in to work on their fitness etc, but this one would actually make sense given our need for a RB (and if I’m not mistaken I’m sure he is able to play at CB too?).  

Wouldn't be against us having a look but if I remember correctly he was injured for a lot of last season.

Just now, Mr.Blue said:

Wouldn't be against us having a look but if I remember correctly he was injured for a lot of last season.

Also see there's another gk in training too.

• Upvote 1

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

23 minutes ago, Greacen2000 said:

We can do much better than Doyle.

Hoping he is just training to keep fit, would be amazed if he was offered a deal.

Tumilty, Hodson, Brandon, if allowed to go out on loan, would be better options

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Also see there's another gk in training too.

I'm not sure about that - I did not really follow him closely but according to flashscore he made 21 appearances for accies before going on loan to alloa where he played in every single match apart from their playoffs  (where he was presumably not allowed to play against his parent club).  I would be open to us bringing him in - I don't remember him being a standout during his time here but he was pretty solid, and realistically any replacement we get for Grimshaw is going to be a downgrade.

Any ideas who the other keeper is?

Edited by Greacen2000

10 minutes ago, Madton said:

We can do much better than Doyle.

Hoping he is just training to keep fit, would be amazed if he was offered a deal.

Tumilty, Hodson, Brandon, if allowed to go out on loan, would be better options

I would be delighted if we could get Brandon back.  If fit, he would definitely be the ideal replacement for Grimshaw.  Personally I would put Tumilty & Hodson at about the same level as Doyle but yeah they are all decent options and I would be fine with any of the above(including Doyle) if we cannot get Brandon

8 minutes ago, Greacen2000 said:

I would be delighted if we could get Brandon back.  If fit, he would definitely be the ideal replacement for Grimshaw.  Personally I would put Tumilty & Hodson at about the same level as Doyle but yeah they are all decent options and I would be fine with any of the above(including Doyle) if we cannot get Brandon

The fact a piss poor Accies punted him and replaced him with Tumilty should tell us how poor a player he is for this level now.

Tumilty and Hodson are comfortably better players IMO and I'm sure there are better options out there than Doyle.