Match Preview/Thread - QOTS vs Morton (5th March) - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - QOTS vs Morton (5th March)

Admin

We've been fkn stinking today n been pumped. Needs addressed ASAP. 

If it is and I'm sure it will be we dust down n go next week. 

Not a great day at the office with queen's n ayr picking up wins n scoring 3 n 4 goals helping there goal difference aswell 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, HamCam said:

Blues has done nothing for the last few games while Oliver offered something today without ever looking like scoring. Wilson though is not the answer, he is not simply a scapegoat he is a reject from Dunfermline for a reason.

That's deflection from your singular criticism of Wilson. 

The lad has been dreadful defensively today and offers nothing going forward.

Agreed. He was good defensively last week against the 'best' side in the division though. And none of the actual goals today were directly Wilson's fault either.

Wilson is the weekly scapegoat, while we let other players off for equally if not worse performances. 

Since he joined my issue with Wilson is he replaced arguably our most creative and in-form midfield player in Lyon. Just to be clear no player is exempt from criticism today.

He replaced Oliver at Hamilton and if we lined up like that today then perhaps we wouldn't have been so powderpuff. 

It is not a binary choice between Wilson or Lyon. The other two can drop out instead and quite frankly have no good argument to play either. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 minute ago, CM48 said:

Lyon must not be 100% fit surely? Dougie did seem to rate him as highly much as most of us do.

Think this is definitely the case. You can see it in his play, but if it was a choice rather than forced (which it is) you’d really worry about the manager’s judgement. I think we can be confident Dougie is not that stupid.

5 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Wilson has been poor, and he doesn't help himself by doing really obviously bad things on the ball, but Blues has been missing for a few games now. 

Wilson hasn’t been done himself any favours, but he’s at least involved in the game unlike the others.

Whilst this result is a wee bit unexpected, it’s also not surprising. It’s been abundantly clear for a long time that a lot of these players just aren’t good enough nor do they have close to the mentality required, even if we have had a decent run and the manager has managed to wring an improvement from them in spells. 

There’s been warning signs there for a few games now, and we shouldn’t be kidding ourselves on that utterly mediocre (at best) footballers suddenly turned into superstars just because of a few good results. None of these jokers should be getting nee contracts, they’ve had plenty of chances.

AWMSC

1 minute ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Wilson and Milne having a set to at the end there 😬

Might have showed something like that before we got pumped. 

All of those goals were stupid as fuck. Raging that I even travelled. 

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

on the plus side Accies and pars lose, Falkirk fuck up at Clyde. On the negative side we're firmly back in the mix and Dougie's matchday exile carries on for 2 more weeks. 

I kind of feel this result has been coming as we're not clinical with our chances and the midfield haven't been at it for a few weeks. Interesting to see how Dougie addresses this.

That was a worryingly bad performance. We were 2nd to every ball, 2nd best in every 50/50 and just reverted to continous hoofball.

A case of poor finishing in the first 15 minutes - we should have been 3 up. Then a clusterfuck from Hamilton, then another clusterfuck from Hamilton, and then a clusterfuck from McEntee. 

Hope Imrie goes right through them and gives them a kick up the arse because that was Gus McPhersonesque. 

15 minutes ago, DumfriesTon said:

That was a worryingly bad performance. We were 2nd to every ball, 2nd best in every 50/50 and just reverted to continous hoofball.

A case of poor finishing in the first 15 minutes - we should have been 3 up. 

Those points are mutually exclusive. How should we have been 3-0 up after 15 minutes if we were just playing hoofball and were second best to the ball all day long? 

The bottom line is that we gift-wrapped two piss poor goals in an alright - not stunning, but more than competitive - first half display and then sold the jerseys early in the second half as well to finish it off. 

I'd be much more concerned if we were actually outplayed in a tactical sense but we weren't. We deserved to lose due to inexplicable errors - but only some, not all of those have been coming. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

4 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Those points are mutually exclusive. How should we have been 3-0 up after 15 minutes if we were just playing hoofball and were second best to the ball all day long? 

The bottom line is that we gift-wrapped two piss poor goals in an alright - not stunning, but more than competitive - first half display and then sold the jerseys early in the second half as well to finish it off. 

I'd be much more concerned if we were actually outplayed in a tactical sense but we weren't. We deserved to lose due to inexplicable errors - but only some, not all of those have been coming. 

OK, we were 2nd to every ball, 2nd best in every 50/50 and played continuous hoofball after the first 15 minutes. We played some nice stuff in the first part of the game with Brandon getting a lot of joy down the right. 

Reilly should have scored, Ugwu should have scored, Blues probably should have scored and McEntee was unlucky with his effort off the line.

Thereafter we were a shambles and the back 5 were all over the place. We've been pretty poor overall since Imrie's touchline ban and the dropping of Reece Lyon. No coincidence.

That was fucking woeful. Like, laughably bad. After the first 10 minutes we just weren’t in the game at all. 2nd to every ball, launching it up the park wherever possible and giving gifts to QOS every time they went forward. We’ve been due a shite performance given how well things have been going since Imrie came in, however I’m hopeful today was just a blip, otherwise we’re right back in danger if we put another one of those performances in. 

Incidentally, thought Jacobs did OK when he came on. I haven’t been overly troubled by his absence as it’s quite easily explained by the fact that he isn’t that great but given how bad everybody else was then even just by default i think he could maybe have been on much earlier today and should start next week.

Also, as much as I like Strapp, I could be tempted to give him a rest next week. It’s not that he’s been bad by any means, but I feel like there’s maybe just a wee lack of sharpness at the moment and it’s a position where there is, in theory, an established replacement.

The fact that he gets subbed off quite often indicates that it’s something Imrie is aware of too, which suggest he sees Strapp’s importance as being too significant to take him out altogether and just takes him off early as a compromise. I wouldn’t be surprised if Russell comes in from the start soon though, although I suppose maybe the reason Imrie sticks with Strapp is a park due to a lack of confidence in Russell….which wouldn’t be unfair, tbh.

On missed chances, it’s quite a common theme that this comes up and as often as not we’re talking about ones Ugwue has missed. I touched on this in another thread, but I don’t think we can really be putting that down to bad luck at this stage. If your striker can’t score goals then it’s a problem that you need to reflect upon.

AWMSC

That was awful no fight no drive and whole team looked like they had been out on the piss last night and just turned up for a kick about. 

There also doesn't seem to be any leaders on the park nobody shouting or organising us. We need a real leader on the pitch and not just in the dugout. Poor performance but this league is so up and down that you really can't predict from one week to the next what will happen. Wouldn't like to be a Morton player in the dressing room after full time Dougie would be fucking livid and rightly so. 

2 hours ago, DumfriesTon said:

OK, we were 2nd to every ball, 2nd best in every 50/50 and played continuous hoofball after the first 15 minutes. We played some nice stuff in the first part of the game with Brandon getting a lot of joy down the right. 

Reilly should have scored, Ugwu should have scored, Blues probably should have scored and McEntee was unlucky with his effort off the line.

Thereafter we were a shambles and the back 5 were all over the place. We've been pretty poor overall since Imrie's touchline ban and the dropping of Reece Lyon. No coincidence.

I certainly agree there's no coincidence between the touchline ban and us performing poorly. But as you concede, we could and really should have taken control of that game long before some bizarro, clownshoe errors gifted it to them instead. 

Sometimes it's not about how you play as about how you exploit your opportunities. We just made a rip-roaring cunt of that today. 

2 hours ago, RossMcC1874 said:

That was awful no fight no drive and whole team looked like they had been out on the piss last night and just turned up for a kick about. 

There also doesn't seem to be any leaders on the park nobody shouting or organising us. We need a real leader on the pitch and not just in the dugout. Poor performance but this league is so up and down that you really can't predict from one week to the next what will happen. Wouldn't like to be a Morton player in the dressing room after full time Dougie would be fucking livid and rightly so. 

Dougie wouldn’t have been in the dressing room after the match. Lucky for the team…

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Today is just the perfect little microcosm of being a Morton supporter. So much hope of things to come, so much joy at Dougie’s turnaround, so much anticipation for better times, so many dreams of a brighter future, so much delight when we win games we weren’t supposed to.

And then this. So much frustration, so much disappointment, so much confusion, so many questions, so much heartache. Another contributor (sorry - can’t remember who) said that 90 minutes on a Saturday set his whole mood for the rest of the week. He was right.

Godawful day at work today, was wishing for something way better.

We have been one of the most consistent teams since Dougie took over. We were overdue this result since the rest of the league have been all over the place form wise. If we bounce back next week then it'll be soon forgotten. Both of QotS and Dunfermline have a game in hand against Partick. Hopefully (and I don't often say this) Thistle win those games which would leave us with a 5 point lead over 9th with 8 games to play

The Partick and Dunfermline games are massive now. We still should be picking up enough points to avoid ninth from here, but if we fail to win either of those games it will become really difficult to see where the points are coming from.

After recent performances I'd be tearing up that midfield and starting again. Add me to the pile who thinks Wilson was poor but unfairly scapegoated: Blues and Oliver were both much worse yesterday. Jacobs for Wilson, Lyon for Blues, McGrattan for Oliver.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

2 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

The Partick and Dunfermline games are massive now. We still should be picking up enough points to avoid ninth from here, but if we fail to win either of those games it will become really difficult to see where the points are coming from.

Ayr, Inverness, Raith etc. are all dogshite outfits. There's no game that we can't take three points from - although we'll need to cut out yesterday's errors to not lose any game we play either. 

Archived