Championship 19/20 - Page 13 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Championship 19/20

SpoonTon

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonder if we'll be getting a statement from anyone on the Board of Directors specifically blaming David Hopkin and each individual player for Saturday's abject pumping, seeing as blaming employees is apparently their style. Or maybe it's only the low-ranking ones who can't defend themselves they go for.

AWMSC

Inverness Caley Thistle will tonight beg shareholders to dig deep to ward off the threat of administration. (Daily Mail, print edition)

Interesting from that article - it says Championship

clubs share 12% of the BBC deal and Prem clubs take the lion’s share.

Interesting from that article - it says Championship

clubs share 12% of the BBC deal and Prem clubs take the lion’s share.

That's surprising. Exactly what games do the BBC get other than a Championship game every week and the two cup finals?

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

That's surprising. Exactly what games do the BBC get other than a Championship game every week and the two cup finals?

A full highlights package of the Premiership every week and radio commentary rights. They don’t get the two cup finals. The Scottish Cup final (and a game from round one right through) comes under their contract with the SFA, not the SPFL and BT Sport (soon to be Premier Sports) have exclusive rights to the League Cup.

It’s no great surprise the Premiership clubs get the lion’s share of the TV income- Championship clubs get their cut from Sky Sports and BT Sport in spite of the likelihood that the only games that are going to be broadcast on those channels are the four Dundee derbies.

A top-heavy structure, but it’s still better than it was when the top flight and the rest were under different bodies. Lower league clubs can’t exactly complain about the Premiership clubs taking TV revenue from one deal whilst benefitting themselves from a more lucrative one. It was one of the main reason the leagues were merged, in order to share the wealth more fairly.

The former SPL clubs were never going to give absolute parity when the merger happened, as they were in the stronger bargaining position.

On the subject of Inverness, can’t say I’m too upset to see a government-doped franchise hit the buffers. Dig out the dancing shoes.

Just seen a tweet that shows we are conceding the most goals out of all 42 senior Scottish clubs with on average of 2.7 per game.

I knew we were bad but I didn't think we had the worse defence in the entire SPFL.

Makes sense. What a depressing statistic.

A full highlights package of the Premiership every week and radio commentary rights. They don’t get the two cup finals. The Scottish Cup final (and a game from round one right through) comes under their contract with the SFA, not the SPFL and BT Sport (soon to be Premier Sports) have exclusive rights to the League Cup.

It’s no great surprise the Premiership clubs get the lion’s share of the TV income- Championship clubs get their cut from Sky Sports and BT Sport in spite of the likelihood that the only games that are going to be broadcast on those channels are the four Dundee derbies.

A top-heavy structure, but it’s still better than it was when the top flight and the rest were under different bodies. Lower league clubs can’t exactly complain about the Premiership clubs taking TV revenue from one deal whilst benefitting themselves from a more lucrative one. It was one of the main reason the leagues were merged, in order to share the wealth more fairly.

The former SPL clubs were never going to give absolute parity when the merger happened, as they were in the stronger bargaining position.

On the subject of Inverness, can’t say I’m too upset to see a government-doped franchise hit the buffers. Dig out the dancing shoes.

Not much to disagree with there but I do think a share of 12% of £350,000 is a bad deal for Championship clubs who are most inconvenienced eg by potentially lower attendances/loss of hospitality revenue etc caused by Friday 7pm kick-offs. On its own terms it’s a deal that could easily see clubs lose money as a result of their games being shown live on TV. That said, that’s what we’ve all signed up to so the horse has bolted.

Not much to disagree with there but I do think a share of 12% of £350,000 is a bad deal for Championship clubs who are most inconvenienced eg by potentially lower attendances/loss of hospitality revenue etc caused by Friday 7pm kick-offs. On its own terms it’s a deal that could easily see clubs lose money as a result of their games being shown live on TV. That said, that’s what we’ve all signed up to so the horse has bolted.

But it’s not actually 12% of £350,000- it’s 12% of the broadcast deal as a whole, incorporating Sky Sports, BT, the BBC, ALBA, radio and foreign broadcast rights.

Livingston for example have possibly their most lucrative home game of the season at the weekend- a 12pm kick off on a Sunday, possibly cutting hospitality revenues. Okay, that’s partly due to Celtic playing tonight, but it’s also to suit the broadcasters. Yet we (as a division) still get 12% of that deal. Should they be kicking up a stink about the other three divisions getting a slice of the cake when they’re being inconvenienced? You can’t really treat one deal in isolation from all the others.

There are of course a couple of clubs who aren’t really adversely affected as the vast majority of their games are 3pm kick offs on Saturday afternoons (unless their European exploits dictate) and the only home games that are shown are guaranteed full houses anyway because they’re against their inbred cousins from across the city, whilst their opponents all have their biggest home games played at times that hit the crowd figures.

Answers on a postcard as to who those two clubs might be...

Archived