Squad and transfers 2019/20 - Page 64 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad and transfers 2019/20

Hej

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Record reporting that we're offering some guy McLean a deal. Presumably one of the trialists.

Meh

Meanwhile Morton manager David Hopkin is set to offer a contract to former Motherwell, Dundee United and Preston defender Brian McLean who strolled through a friendly with St Johnstone on Tuesday as a trialist.

Hopkin said: “Brian is 34 now but I thought he was excellent. You could see his experience. Brian had only done one training session but handled it so well.

I watched him at the end of last season when he had that spell a Dumbarton and I could see his experience.

We’ll sit down with him and have a chat with him.”

You’d think that we hadn’t shipped three goals in the first fifty minutes to a bunch of yokel farmers given the number of defenders who seemingly ‘strolled’ the match on Tuesday night.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Don't really remember him but could have been doing with some experience at the back the last few seasons so wouldn't be dead against it if he's fit enough. Would still be looking for another option as well though.

A 34 year old who spent the last two seasons playing in Brunei and Dumbarton. Superb.

Would imagine he was on a good wage in Brunei and looks like he just went to Dumbarton to finish the season.

Played at a decent level before then so might be OK.

Would imagine he was on a good wage in Brunei and looks like he just went to Dumbarton to finish the season.

Some top class straw clutching right there.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

A decent level approx 7 years ago?

If we sign any of the trialists from Tuesday then that is definitely disappointing.

The attractions of playing in Brunei are, your living arrangements are basically taken care of, and there's no personal income tax. They really don't make that much money in the S-League unless they're a true marquee player, like Jermaine Pennant or one of the local internationals. And if he was that good he would have found a better club to "finish the season" at. 

For the record I have no idea if he's any good or not, but this is some absolutely massive straw-clutching. Imagine thinking that a guy who was playing in the Singaporean league is some kind of big-money catch, Jesus Christ. This is your brain on Morton.

EOho8Pw.png

Some top class straw clutching right there.

Like I said, I can't remember the guy from his previous clubs.

Also never saw him mid week so can't comment on what he's actually like but seems he's went from playing regularly at a decent level to playing abroad with a big wage and now wants to come home.

I don't think any of us will be able to comment on the level he was playing at so he might come in and do a good job.

His performance for us (which actually has mixed reviews) also comes with the caveat he's only had one training session and he was playing with another trialist who got poor reviews.

I'll reserve my judgement for now but on the face of it I don't think it's particularly worrying if we sign him.

Also never saw him mid week so can't comment on what he's actually like but seems he's went from playing regularly at a decent level to playing abroad with a big wage and now wants to come home.

I don't think any of us will be able to comment on the level he was playing at so he might come in and do a good job.

I was heavily involved in the launch of a football media enterprise in Singapore and Malaysia and worked very closely with a few local journalists in that time - and, of course, became passingly familiar with the football played there. I will admit it was some years ago now, and the landscape may have changed since I stopped paying attention. But from looking at the AFC coefficients, Singapore hasn't changed overmuch, and from a glance at the squad lists, I'd say they've only improved as much as, say, MLS has in that time, which is to say at the top margins. With all due respect to Brian McLean, I don't think he's a top marginal player.

So we have my admittedly outdated experience against your... nothing, except a burning desire to defend everything the club does all the time.

Unless of course you want to type out exactly what you think he was earning over there and how good the quality of play is, I'm going to stick with my opinion, which is that playing in the S-League is basically a jolly, and not one that's going to set you up as a wealthy individual.

EOho8Pw.png

The attractions of playing in Brunei are, your living arrangements are basically taken care of, and there's no personal income tax. They really don't make that much money in the S-League unless they're a true marquee player, like Jermaine Pennant or one of the local internationals. And if he was that good he would have found a better club to "finish the season" at.

For the record I have no idea if he's any good or not, but this is some absolutely massive straw-clutching. Imagine thinking that a guy who was playing in the Singaporean league is some kind of big-money catch, Jesus Christ. This is your brain on Morton.

So you know what his salary was there or even if he just fancied a change? I'm pretty sure he wouldn't move away over there for no reason and would have got a club here if it was just about getting a game.

Archived