January Transfer Window Thread - Page 54 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

January Transfer Window Thread

BishopBrennan

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This could all very well just be paper talk, but knowing our luck it won’t be. The board are surely smart enough to realise letting him go to Falkirk now would result in a massive sharpening of pitchforks? If he agrees a PCA or sods off to them in the summer and we can’t match what they’re offering then fine, but it absolutely can’t happen this week.

As for the manager, he’ll have the tag of letting Morton’s best player in the last two decades slip out of our hands, all because he has no idea how to use him. For those, somehow, still with faith in JJ, this would surely be the final straw?

This could all very well just be paper talk, but knowing our luck it won’t be. The board are surely smart enough to realise letting him go to Falkirk now would result in a massive sharpening of pitchforks? If he agrees a PCA or sods off to them in the summer and we can’t match what they’re offering then fine, but it absolutely can’t happen this week.

As for the manager, he’ll have the tag of letting Morton’s best player in the last two decades slip out of our hands, all because he has no idea how to use him. For those, somehow, still with faith in JJ, this would surely be the final straw?

A. not sure they give a fuck and B. that'll be the convenient excuse when it inevitably does happen. 

We should be doing absolutely everything to keep him

TIME FOR CHANGE!

You have to wonder if the board in their budget cutting wisdom would even sanction a new contract for Tidser under the same terms as Dougie gave him. He must be on a fair whack compared to a lot of the squad and I could easily see Crawford sitting there desperate to get him off the wage bill.

All speculation of course but if Morton aren't going to offer Tidser the same terms and maybe even ask him to take a wage cut then Id have no issue with him telling them where to go.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

If Tidser joins Falkirk then JJ and the board can get all the way to fuck and then fuck off a whole lot more. I definitely won't be buying another season ticket if that happens and I was already considering doing that anyway.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

If tidser is allowed to leave at all then questions will be asked of the board and the manager. Seriously doubt they'd be answered though. If he goes to Falkirk I won't be back this season. It would be a boot in the balls to every single Morton fan and would show how unambitious we are. We've heard snippets of what's going on but the silence from the board is deafening.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

And see if there is even a sniff of a deal being struck for a fee to be paid for him to leave now that also includes settlement of the McKinnon compensation claim then we burn the place to the ****ing ground.

Agreed.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

It's not about what you think though, you were painting a risk scenario for Tidser to assess.

Falkirk have now spent 2 seasons competing at the bottom end of the Championship, flirting with relegation. They've dropped their youth academy due to running costs and have had several bouts of compensation to deal with (potentially more to come). Not a pretty picture.

If Dundee come down, they'll have the parachute payments to challenge or at least cement in this league and are unlikely to fall again (Partick being the car crash exception to that possibility). Falkirk could go down, or at least struggle again.

Still think you've painted it all a bit rosy for Falkirk's prospects.

Parachute payments don't equate to going straight back up, just look at St Mirren, Dundee United, Partick and Hibs. Again, Dundee look very much like they could come down and nobody would put the house on them going right back up: nobody's going to rush into signing a pre-contract with them.

Since 2010, Falkirk have finished above Morton in every season but two - when we finished 2nd and last year - and in all but two of those seasons have finished in the play-off (or what would become play-off) spots. It's widely acknowledged that this season's been a disaster due to Hartley's signings, which McKinnon is more likely than not to overcome and keep them up and they seem to have money to spend - they might have cut their youth academy, but that's a huge sum of money that can go elsewhere even if some of it is savings - which will probably see them resume their "natural level" of challenging for the play-off places and for Tidser, playing for a manager who clearly knows how to use him. If they're offering a good wage then it's an enticing offer for him, although admittedly that's predicated on them staying up. As Toby has said elsewhere, both Falkirk and Partick will probably play in the top flight again before Morton, relegation or not.

Let's face it, in the current circumstances there's very little reason for Tidser to stay at Morton and in I wouldnt really expect him to turn down a good offer from Falkirk just to keep our fans happy. No player owes any club anything.

AWMSC

Parachute payments don't equate to going straight back up, just look at St Mirren, Dundee United, Partick and Hibs. Again, Dundee look very much like they could come down and nobody would put the house on them going right back up: nobody's going to rush into signing a pre-contract with them.

Since 2010, Falkirk have finished above Morton in every season but two - when we finished 2nd and last year - and in all but two of those seasons have finished in the play-off (or what would become play-off) spots. It's widely acknowledged that this season's been a disaster due to Hartley's signings, which McKinnon is more likely than not to overcome and keep them up and they seem to have money to spend - they might have cut their youth academy, but that's a huge sum of money that can go elsewhere even if some of it is savings - which will probably see them resume their "natural level" of challenging for the play-off places and for Tidser, playing for a manager who clearly knows how to use him. If they're offering a good wage then it's an enticing offer for him, although admittedly that's predicated on them staying up. As Toby has said elsewhere, both Falkirk and Partick will probably play in the top flight again before Morton, relegation or not.

Let's face it, in the current circumstances there's very little reason for Tidser to stay at Morton and in I wouldnt really expect him to turn down a good offer from Falkirk just to keep our fans happy. No player owes any club anything.

Of course I in no way expect him to chose Morton over Dundee or Falkirk if it came down to it.

Very few players escape the Cappielow career graveyard and all exit opportunities should be taken.

And whether or not Dundee went back up or not, they would still likely be at the top end of the Championship in performance and wages. Falkirk 'should' return to that level but then, they were supposed to this season after a shocker last season too but we know how that went. Their trajectory and likelihood to go back to norm is not as rosy as you paint it. The risk there is still huge.

You still weirdly want to paint the picture that nobody would rush into signing a pre-contract with Dundee but would with Falkirk.

Also missing the fact that there is a manager at Dundee who also rates Tidser and has had him before, for longer than McKinnon did and at a higher level.

Tidser would be attracted to both, Dundee are the more attractive proposition (location permitting) but he should still wait till the end of the season to see where everything is and what else is on the table.

And there's few teams I wouldn't put my money on being in the Premiership before Morton.

I'm not saying anything about pre-contracts, as I don't think he's going to get an offer that's too good to be missed. I don't think Falkirk is necessarily the best move in the world but there's no doubt it could be a highly appealing one for a player like Tidser.

AWMSC

Archived