January Transfer Window Thread - Page 58 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

January Transfer Window Thread

BishopBrennan

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All good signing Kiltie but where does he fit in? None of these midfield signings are fixing problem areas of the team ie a leaky defence and forwards who don't score goals and aren't physical enough to compete.

And unless the approach on the park changes it will be same old just with new faces. Wait and see I suppose.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

All good signing Kiltie but where does he fit in? None of these midfield signings are fixing problem areas of the team ie a leaky defence and forwards who don't score goals and aren't physical enough to compete.

And unless the approach on the park changes it will be same old just with new faces. Wait and see I suppose.

I’m presuming he’ll change the system to give us more width now with the hope better attacking players take pressure off the defence.

.... and still making very reasonable points.

Are they? Being “respected” doesn’t really count for much with some of the results we’ve gotten, and I don’t think getting O’Connell, Kiltie, Dallas & McCrorie is something only he could pull off. We had Old Firm and Premier League loanees under Duffy.

I also don’t think it’s unreasonable for folk to have reservations about giving funds/resources to someone who had dragged the squad he was given backwards.

Think width and pace was a clear problem we had.  Our creativity has been awful this season and that has now hopefully been addressed. If we can create chances, hopefully Dallas is the man to put them away. We know Bob can finish when given the service too. 

Scoring goals has been the main problem for me ( 6 goals in our last ten games) , hopefully Dallas, Kiltie and O'Connell change that!

Are they? Being “respected” doesn’t really count for much with some of the results we’ve gotten, and I don’t think getting O’Connell, Kiltie, Dallas & McCrorie is something only he could pull off. We had Old Firm and Premier League loanees under Duffy.

I also don’t think it’s unreasonable for folk to have reservations about giving funds/resources to someone who had dragged the squad he was given backwards.

He hasn't actually offered a single opinion on anything, apart from a bizarre suggestion that people have an "agenda" against Johansson which "goes beyond tactics". Unsurprisingly, no tactical defence was offered, nor any suggestions as to what "agenda" people might have given that it's generally accepted that JJ's a decent guy, so maybe he's just threatened by big words.

AWMSC

Anyway, having two wide players should add a much-needed dynamic to our play, but I just don't see it changing things that much under the current regime. It's unlikely a couple of loan players are going to change the mentality of a manager who played 5 at the back against East Fife and who wasn't arsed about a lack of chances against Dunfermline, so we'll probably just see the wide players getting up and hoping Dallas can feed off a few balls into the box. I don't see the defensive line, for example, pushing up the park, or Tidser playing right off the forward - Johansson's already told us he wants these players in to "counter-attack".

We can only wait and see what happens, but I wouldn't be holding my breath.

AWMSC

Opposing views in a discussion can each be reasonable.

I think it is hard to sustain the argument that JJ has dragged the squad he was given backwards since we weren't far enough into the season to really have an idea how things were going to go.

Equally it would be hard to argue that we have been playing attractive football.

Time will tell whether those who have argued almost from day one that JJ is a dud are correct or those who take the view that given time and the chance to shape his own team he may well come good.

I very much hope for and am inclined to the latter but can understand why some take a different view.

Dundee Utd aren't any good so we could win if we press them high up the park and get at them. JJ now has players capable of causing teams problems and if we just sit back on Saturday then I might be done till next season because it is soul destroying.

Opposing views in a discussion can each be reasonable.

I think it is hard to sustain the argument that JJ has dragged the squad he was given backwards since we weren't far enough into the season to really have an idea how things were going to go.

Equally it would be hard to argue that we have been playing attractive football.

Time will tell whether those who have argued almost from day one that JJ is a dud are correct or those who take the view that given time and the chance to shape his own team he may well come good.

I very much hope for and am inclined to the latter but can understand why some take a different view.

JJ is clearly getting less out the squad than McKinnon therefore in that regard there is a strong argument to say JJ has dragged the squad backwards. As for stating it is hard to argue that we have been playing attractive football - nonsense - it is impossible to argue that we have been playing attractive football

The Morton team from August would put about 5 past the one we saw on Saturday.

That's the difference between a manager that does and doesn't know what he's doing, along with using players in their best positions. 

McKinnon had us playing pretty well before he fucked off. I was very confident of us being up the top come the end of the season before he left. 

Quick forward players are perfect for Tidser to be playing just behind, JJ would be mad to not push him further up. 

You would think so, but here we are. To properly use wide players, get Tidser up behind etc would take not only a level of attacking intent that we simply haven't seen any signs of so far, but also a level of organisation miles beyond sticking bodies in the box. We could be pleasantly surprised, I suppose, but at best we're likely to see some cracks papered over until the end of the season.

The Morton team from August would put about 5 past the one we saw on Saturday.

Yep. We weren't perfect under McKinnon, nor the finished article (which is a thing in itself: it was a new team and still had much more about it than Johansson has managed in a longer period), but we were significantly better in every area of the pitch in terms of individual performances and collectively than now. 

AWMSC

Two very promising signings. Surely JJ is going to go to a midfield 5 with Tids back in the advanced role. This is the system he should have been playing the whole time only now we have two actual wingers.

Im bizarrely optimistic about the rest of the season now. I'm sure this feeling will dissipate when I read the team sheet on saturday, but for now I'm very happy. Well done JJ, please don't let me down (again).

I want a pretentious signature too.

Two very promising signings. Surely JJ is going to go to a midfield 5 with Tids back in the advanced role. This is the system he should have been playing the whole time only now we have two actual wingers.

Im bizarrely optimistic about the rest of the season now. I'm sure this feeling will dissipate when I read the team sheet on saturday, but for now I'm very happy. Well done JJ, please don't let me down (again).

5 at the back with the 2 signings on the bench it is then.

Archived