Who Next? - Page 6 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Who Next?

Scott

McCall - jakey mess, only succeeding at Ayr under no expectations

McIntyre - clearly has ambitions well above Morton

Hopkin - clearly has ambitions well above Morton

Lennon, Aitken, Houston etc. - usual journeymen guff playing football from 30 years ago.

Wake - give it a rest VT

I'd be happy with a first team coach/assistant from a bigger club looking to take a step up. Ray/Crawford's introduction of a more modern approach to fitness & the fact the current squad is more suited to a passing game means we're set up well for someone like that.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wake - give it a rest VT

I'd be happy with a first team coach/assistant from a bigger club looking to take a step up. Ray/Crawford's introduction of a more modern approach to fitness & the fact the current squad is more suited to a passing game means we're set up well for someone like that.

So let's not call for a championship-winning manager and club legend to get the job because you just don't want to hear about it any more, but instead go for a generic type of candidate of which you can't name even one example. 

Seems legit. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

So let's not call for a championship-winning manager and club legend to get the job because you just don't want to hear about it any more, but instead go for a generic type of candidate of which you can't name even one example.

Seems legit.

Drivel. It's the boards job to identify candidates.

We couldn't get David Hopkin to take the job despite the fact he has a stronger connection to the club. What makes you think we can pluck a coach from Scandanavia and ask him to relocate to Greenock?

Wake played a handful of great games for us and really bailed us out - i wont argue with that. On the whole though, his career was that of a useless lump of a journeyman. Your obsession with him is just weird.

Drivel. It's the boards job to identify candidates.

There is already a perfectly good candidate that you have rejected out of hand for no valid reason, other than the fact that you don't like reading about him anymore on a messageboard. 

Drivel indeed.

We couldn't get David Hopkin to take the job despite the fact he has a stronger connection to the club. What makes you think we can pluck a coach from Scandanavia and ask him to relocate to Greenock?

Hopkin has a much bigger connection to 'being a ****ing serpent at every given opportunity' than he does to any one club. And as his good close, personal friend Colin Darroch told everyone who would listen during the summer, Hopkin's real interests lie south of the border in some bin hovel in Yorkshire - despite spectacularly failing to get the vacant post down there. Which is why the idea that we need to ask 'Hoppy' to 'come home' to resolve a crisis caused by a snake walking out the door is a ridiculous suggestion on every count.

The offer that the club can make to Wake is simple - a full-time management post as opposed to an assistant position, at a club where he spent one of the best periods in his career and of which all evidence suggests he continues to hold in high regard. If it was that difficult to get people to relocate from Scandinavia then we wouldn't have had Michael Tidser in our team for the best part of a decade now. The onus is on the club to make the offer and for the candidate to respond. 

Wake played a handful of great games for us and really bailed us out - i wont argue with that. On the whole though, his career was that of a useless lump of a journeyman. Your obsession with him is just weird. 

The best goals to games ratio at this level for Morton since Rowan Alexander; a hero at several clubs for firing them to safety on the final day of a season and fondly remembered on his return to Ostersunds after scoring a barrel load of goals to fire them up the Swedish leagues in the first place to get them to where they are today. 'Journeyman' indeed.

But none of that changes the fact that your objection to Wake has absolutely nothing to do with his coaching merits nor even his club legend status; instead it has everything to do with you being a raging mess on an Internet forum. Which is not actually vaild criteria for choosing a professional football manager. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

NB: It's also notable that the 'but... but... we couldn't possibly get someone to relocate from Scandinavia to here*!' line has never been trotted out when people have called for Lindberg to become manager at every opportunity in the last fifteen years, despite the fact that he's not actually any good at that job. Funny that. 

* Because Finland as a Nordic country is really part of Scandinavia as well

David Hopkin, who left Livingston after leading them to promotion to the Scottish Premiership, is poised to return to management with Greenock Morton after Ray McKinnon left for Championship rivals Falkirk. (Daily Express, print edition)

More than likely the laziest of lazy journalism. But it's there.

Duffy on Off the Ball saying there's more chance of Tam Cowan being our manager than himself.

We can breathe easy now.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Any team that has Tidser and Millar in a midfield three at this level is going to play a possession-based game. So long as a new manger doesn't start ****ing around with the formation then that shouldn't change, but we should absolutely be looking outside of the same tired names and now utterly discredited mercenaries for our pick. 

Don't think it's as simple as that, unfortunately. They may well pass the ball around, but the pressing and movement and incision needs to come from the training ground. If the manager doesn't have that in his make up then it won't get anywhere.

AWMSC

Jose Mourinho hasn't exactly been able to adapt over the last decade, so it's hardly a given.".

It's a huge gamble to think a guy with only two seasons of management experience would be able to come in and adopt a very different approach from day one. Far better and more experienced gaffers have failed to do so.

The problem we have is that McKinnon assembled a squad and then mounded it to play in a very distinct way that only certain managers can really do. It's not even as much a matter of ability as approach and vision; it's going to be hard to get somebody who can build on what's there.

It's imperative we look outside that bubble of Scottish football old boys and identify somebody with new, fresh ideas.

While I think he can adapt, I think the bigger danger is the one vT identifies: the second some slum outfit in England flashes some ankle, "Hoppy" would be off.

It feels weird using "loyalty" and "Derek McInnes" in the same sentence but he's stuck it out at Aberdeen despite at least one confirmed approach from a much bigger club. We need someone who looks at Morton as a project and that's why I agree we can't just go with whoever Radio Scotland foist upon us. I'm not saying they need to regard Morton as the biggest job they'll ever have, but they do need to commit seriously to trying to get us out of the Championship (via the sunroof, not the chassis.)

EOho8Pw.png

anyone who says hoppy couldn't do a job for us and utilise the players in the best way possible is utterly deluded. Theres a risk with every managerial appointment and Hoppy would be no different, he would be a fantastic appointment and my preferred choice, I also think that he would make a major impact about the place, he may not be the most exciting individual but its down to getting the job done on the park. Aint into this bring him home stuff but would love to see Hoppy in charge.

I have no compunction in saying that if some chap starts throwing grenades or starts using pistols, we shall kill him

How on earth does appointing ‘Hoppy’ guard against the exact same scenario playing out at the club in six months time? How can a manager who walked out the door at his previous club after winning promotion be trusted to implement the club’s current three year agenda in the Championship?

Hopkin is a McKinnon Mk. II in terms of his professional attitude and we’d be morons to expect anything other than a similar scenario playing out. Get that to fuck.

Archived