Who Is The Biggest Arsehole To Have Played For Morton? - Page 8 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Who Is The Biggest Arsehole To Have Played For Morton?

Toby

Was it not you who got him sacked? It was you who scored the first goal in a 3-1 win for McManus's away team against Grady's home team.

Cheers.

He fouled me at the back post though. It would never have counted if VAR was around.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I met Grady at the fans game at Cappielow when he was managing one of the teams in his own spare time and he seemed alright. He also got sacked directly after that game which i thought was a bit out of order.

Fitzpatrick should have won this at a canter for me.

Agreed. Both Grady and McManus were alright at the fans game.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

So here we have our runner up;

SB163-2.jpg

Dean Keenan 2002-08

The inspiration behind this thread, and bookies' favourite throughout, until he was overtaken in the final straight. Dean Matthew's senior career started in inauspicious circumstances after he was one of three Morton players ordered off in his debut, only a matter of minutes after coming on as a substitute against Queen of the South in a real shame game that also saw Alex Williams and Colin Reilly walk, the latter for a shocking challenge on former Morton striker Sean O'Connor.

For the rest of his time at Morton, Dean Matthew was a bit-part player, having very little influence on the park, but far too much off it, it would appear. His only goal for the club was an important one- the winner in a new year 2-1 slog at Peterhead en route to the title, and he added to his Second Division Championship winners medal with a Morton Naked Ping Pong winners medal. And how close he was to adding this illustrious crown. After only 33 league starts and 20 substitute appearances (God it felt like so many more), he was loaned to Ayr United in our first season back in the First Division before signing on a permanent basis.

But nobody epitomised the lack of discipline at the club in the fans eyes quite as much as Dean Matthew. Not making training because he was steaming drunk on a team mates couch was brushed off by him as being a "character" when recently confronted about it by fans on Twitter, and he pointed out that this happened in the season that we finally won the title we so badly craved. That's okay then, eh? Incredible that after the previous three attempts at winning the title by behaving like consummate professionals didn't work, they hit the bevvy and came up with the goods. Or perhaps not.

As I said, he went on to play for Ayr, and his best moment for them was probably an equaliser in an Ayrshire derby Scottish Cup tie played in horrible conditions at Somerset Park. Ayr, of course, lost the replay. He did manage to win two promotions at Ayr, but both ended in relegation the following year- the most delicious being when they were sent packing by two late goals at Cappielow and he was pictured in tears on the pitch. Wonderful.

Dean Matthew was washed up as a senior player at the ripe old age of 27, and after a brief loan spell at Rob Roy, is now strutting his stuff for Troon. With junior football being such a primitive pursuit, I'm not too sure of many of the details of his time at such a lowly grade other than his sending off in a Scottish Junior Cup final. What it was for, I don't know, nor do I care.

So, onto present day Dean Matthew, and he appears to have reinvented himself as an old pro who sees the need to belittle and undermine young lads making their way in the game for having a selfish outlook by caring about themselves and their own personal performance rather than the team and it's fans. If only he's been so considerate for his team mates and the club's fans when he was lying doing an Ernie Newall impression in a pool of his own sweat and vomit whilst he was supposed to be training. It was ironic that when former teammate Chris Millar (you know, one of the guys from that squad that actually screwed the nut and went on to have a good career) told him to wind his neck in and give the boy a break, Dean Matthew spat the dummy and complained that he couldn't fathom Millar's stance, whilst crying about abuse from fans after targeting a young boy he probably didn't even know to draw attention to himself.

I'd argue that the reason Dean Matthew hasn't won the award in the end is that he doesn't deserve such status, and the fans felt that by labelling him Morton's biggest ever arsehole would give him a sense of importance that's completely unmerited, given how little he actually did for Morton.

One positive is that, with such odious figures you always tend to wonder what sort of reception they will get when they next play at Cappielow. In Dean Matthew's case, that is something we can confidently say will never happen although he's only 32.

Close, but no cigar, Deano. Tit.

MortonUniversal43.jpg

So, let me introduce you to the winner, and the biggest arsehole ever to have played for this proud club. Gentlemen, Mr. James Grady;

gold-first-place-medal__57537.1491676108

James Grady 2008-10

James Grady is a horrible wee Paisley bastard. Let's get that out the way before going into his spell at Cappielow. He'd been a constant thorn in our side for years anyway, and was one of the many Gretna players to wind up at Cappielow, via a short spell at Hamilton where he picked up his second First Division title in a row, having won Gretna the title with a last minute winner at Ross County the previous year.

With Morton the last remaining team in Scotland without a win, David Irons bought him in, initially on an emergency loan from Hamilton, and it paid off immediately, with Grady scoring the only goal in a debut 1-0 win over Clyde. After that, his playing time was pretty underwhelming though, with his only other goal coming in a 1-1 draw at Palmerston later that season.

It was the following season however that Grady began to manoeuvre his way into the Morton job. After a poor start, Irons was eventually sacked after a 0-3 defeat at Stark's Park amid rumours of a dressing room revolt. In pole position, surprise surprise, to take Irons' job, were two of his senior players, who appeared to many to be the major defectors during his reign. As Irons was removed from his post, he apparently left the chairman's office with Grady and his pal McManus waiting outside in full sight of the deposed boss.

Predictably, Grady eventually got the job with McManus as his assistant after originally taking over as co-managers, and kept Morton up by the skin of their teeth, whilst also fitting in a touchline rammy with Craig Brewster at Ross County. To his credit, it was Grady who brought in Michael Tidser to the club, but that's it. Let's also remember that he replaced everyone's hero Brian Wake with Donovan fucking Simmonds. We got very lucky that year that there were two teams in Ayr and Airdrie that were even worse than we were.

Much to the chagrin of Grady and McManus, they were relieved of their duties shortly after the last day win against Ayr that kept us up. What was it I said about things going around and coming around?

Grady+%26+McManus+with+Scottish+Cup.jpg

Personally, Grady wouldn't have been my first choice. As I said in the initial post, Dominic Shimmin was my number one, but since then I've probably swayed more towards Dean Keenan. The sheer length of the pen pics probably illustrates my contempt for each individual, but it's not my decision, the people have spoken.

With a final score of 32 votes to 29, and 52.46% of the vote, you, Mr James Grady, are the biggest arsehole ever to have played for Greenock Morton Football Club.

So, let me introduce you to the winner, and the biggest arsehole ever to have played for this proud club. Gentlemen, Mr. James Grady;

gold-first-place-medal__57537.1491676108

James Grady 2008-10

James Grady is a horrible wee Paisley bastard. Let's get that out the way before going into his spell at Cappielow. He'd been a constant thorn in our side for years anyway, and was one of the many Gretna players to wind up at Cappielow, via a short spell at Hamilton where he picked up his second First Division title in a row, having won Gretna the title with a last minute winner at Ross County the previous year.

With Morton the last remaining team in Scotland without a win, David Irons bought him in, initially on an emergency loan from Hamilton, and it paid off immediately, with Grady scoring the only goal in a debut 1-0 win over Clyde. After that, his playing time was pretty underwhelming though, with his only other goal coming in a 1-1 draw at Palmerston later that season.

It was the following season however that Grady began to manoeuvre his way into the Morton job. After a poor start, Irons was eventually sacked after a 0-3 defeat at Stark's Park amid rumours of a dressing room revolt. In pole position, surprise surprise, to take Irons' job, were two of his senior players, who appeared to many to be the major defectors during his reign. As Irons was removed from his post, he apparently left the chairman's office with Grady and his pal McManus waiting outside in full sight of the deposed boss.

Predictably, Grady eventually got the job with McManus as his assistant after originally taking over as co-managers, and kept Morton up by the skin of their teeth, whilst also fitting in a touchline rammy with Craig Brewster at Ross County. To his credit, it was Grady who brought in Michael Tidser to the club, but that's it. Let's also remember that he replaced everyone's hero Brian Wake with Donovan fucking Simmonds. We got very lucky that year that there were two teams in Ayr and Airdrie that were even worse than we were.

Much to the chagrin of Grady and McManus, they were relieved of their duties shortly after the last day win against Ayr that kept us up. What was it I said about things going around and coming around?

Grady+%26+McManus+with+Scottish+Cup.jpg

Personally, Grady wouldn't have been my first choice. As I said in the initial post, Dominic Shimmin was my number one, but since then I've probably swayed more towards Dean Keenan. The sheer length of the pen pics probably illustrates my contempt for each individual, but it's not my decision, the people have spoken.

With a final score of 32 votes to 29, and 52.46% of the vote, you, Mr James Grady, are the biggest arsehole ever to have played for Greenock Morton Football Club.

Was good reading till the everyone’s hero bit.

Archived