The Big 2018-19 Squad Thread - Page 96 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Big 2018-19 Squad Thread

TRVMP

Quitongo may find himself in a Connor Pepper type situation where he’s out of contract but receives an invite to use facilities during rehab, though we may not be the only club to offer it. Got to feel sorry for the lad, but the club is just not in a position where we can support him financially whilst he’s unable to play.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7 goals in 20-odd starts sounds like a decent return to me, especially since Inverness were absolutely mince for long periods of last season. Our central midfield lacks pace so signing a quick forward makes sense.

Some folk seem to be expecting Millar & Jim to be creative players for us. Granted I've not seen much of them but have they not been used mostly in more defensive roles since leaving Morton?

7 goals in 20-odd starts sounds like a decent return to me, especially since Inverness were absolutely mince for long periods of last season. Our central midfield lacks pace so signing a quick forward makes sense.

Some folk seem to be expecting Millar & Jim to be creative players for us. Granted I've not seen much of them but have they not been used mostly in more defensive roles since leaving Morton?

Jim's never been creative. More of a workhorse. It's no secret I've never been a fan of his. Millar on the other hand i never realised what we had with him til he was gone.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

I'll be honest. After the initial impressive transfer business I'm now extremely pessimistic about our chances this season. I was hoping for a tight squad full of quality but we just have a tight squad riddled with injuries now. Letting Andy Murdoch go was insanity. I'd have preferred him to both Jim or Millar.

Millar is coming off the back of nine years of top flight football - including relative European success and getting a Scottish Cup winners medal - while Murdoch is now on his third (and by far the smallest) Championship outfit in succession. That some people still can't see that we've massively upgraded in our central midfield compared to last season - and some are even still pining for duds like Harkins - is mystifying. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I'll be honest. After the initial impressive transfer business I'm now extremely pessimistic about our chances this season. I was hoping for a tight squad full of quality but we just have a tight squad riddled with injuries now. Letting Andy Murdoch go was insanity. I'd have preferred him to both Jim or Millar.

Come on now. I think letting Murdoch go was a bad decision too, but rather having him as a starter than Chris Millar? Millar's been a standout in a defensive role in the top flight for the best part of a decade and he'd walk into any team in this division - Murdoch wouldn't which is why he's at Ayr.

It's inevitable that at least one established side at this level is going to end up in a relegation battle and with the lack of depth compared to the rest of the division it could be us, but I don't see any reason to panic. Our midfield options are second only to Ross County's, while our defensive options aren't brilliant the starters are all players who've been tested at this level or higher, and when Johnstone is fit we have a centre forward more than capable of hitting double figures.

Yes, we have some cause for concern with the lack of depth and we could just as easily end up in a relegation battle as challenging for top four, but we've not got any more reasons to worry than Queen of the South (similar lack of depth with less quality in the starting XI), ICT (entirely rubbish signings), Dundee United (dud manager) or Falkirk (squad full of young English ringers who could easily turn out to be Ben Sampayos rather than being competent).

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

I fully expect us to get off to a slow start - we already have by managing to get easily papped out of an entirely winnable League Cup group - but have very few doubts that the team will get much stronger as the campaign progresses. How long it takes them to get up to speed will be the difference between a play-off finish and midtable. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Millar is coming off the back of nine years of top flight football - including relative European success and getting a Scottish Cup winners medal - while Murdoch is now on his third (and by far the smallest) Championship outfit in succession. That some people still can't see that we've massively upgraded in our central midfield compared to last season - and some are even still pining for duds like Harkins - is mystifying.

On paper we've upgraded. Time will tell if we actually have on the pitch. Jim has had a recent leg break and it's unclear as of yet how much actual game time Millar will manage at 35. With Murdoch you knew exactly what you were getting. What's clear is both players are in decline.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Both players have been absolutely fine in terms of their fitness and performance levels so far - the 'decline' of Millar is far preferable to options that completely failed for us last season. 

Dud? he was our best player last year by far.

Dud? he was our best player last year by far.

In a team that dropped three places from the previous year and finished 7th in a fucking abysmal league, leading to the manager getting sacked for being shite. So not exactly the badge of honour that you seem to think it is. 

St.Johnstone would have kept him as well according to their fans. He's still got a lot to give. It's not really a discussion

Of course it's a discussion. Players are released for a reason. There's no doubting Millar's quality but lets see how much he contributes over the course of the season.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Millar has looked brilliant in the two games I’ve seen him so far. Absolute stand out.

McAlister for me hasn’t done an awful lot, but to be fair to him he hasn’t played in 18months or so. Does a lot of running, tracking back, marking but not seen him contribute too much as of yet especially with the ball. Fingers crossed it will come.

Accounts on P&B suggest that he was decent when they were mince and the beginning and then poor towards the end when they picked up in form.

Couple more Caley fans saying they liked him, worked his arse off etc etc so seems like a decent addition.

Think it's a given big Denny will be up top once fit, but good to have another option.

Another winger presumably and that will be us then. That would gives us a first team squad of 19 excluding dev players!

You never know. Just takes the right fit. Shankland a prime example of that.

Hopefully with big Denny up top, the players surrounding him in that area can flourish.

A lot of variables. Exciting.

I admire your enthusiasm mate but my gut tells me it's all going to go tits up this season.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Archived