Morton V Falkirk 30/9/17 - Page 8 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton V Falkirk 30/9/17

AyrshireTon

I’m amazed how Gary Oliver manages to escape criticism after every game. 8 goals in 51 appearances for us and zero in 9 this season and no goals since the 4-1 game at Ayr. Can’t remember the last time he had a good game. Scoring goals has been an issue for us for a while and we still persist with him. Hope he turns it around though

FTOF

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m amazed how Gary Oliver manages to escape criticism after every game. 8 goals in 51 appearances for us and zero in 9 this season and no goals since the 4-1 game at Ayr. Can’t remember the last time he had a good game. Scoring goals has been an issue for us for a while and we still persist with him. Hope he turns it around though

I think the biggest problem is the lack of options out wide meaning defenders find it easy to mark forwards out a game. If there's the threat down wings it opens up more space for players like Oliver to get in and link up the play.

That's also due to the fact that the attacking options presented by Russell and Doyle coming up wide have been very limited indeed and generally of low quality. Russell, in particular has all the ability required to go forward effectively but for whatever reason seems at the moment to have lost his way a bit.

That's also due to the fact that the attacking options presented by Russell and Doyle coming up wide have been very limited indeed and generally of low quality. Russell, in particular has all the ability required to go forward effectively but for whatever reason seems at the moment to have lost his way a bit.

I actually think Russell has looked slightly better this season and on his way back to being the player we know he can be.

He certainly hasn't been as lackadaisical as he was at times last season and hasn't made the same mistakes he was making last season. 

I agree with that, but I think he has the ability to offer a lot more if he is encouraged to go wide more often. He comes inside, beats one or two defenders and then it all gets too busy in an already congested midfield. He has the pace and ability to make space by going wide and in the present setup that would create more of an attacking threat I think.

I actually think Russell has looked slightly better this season and on his way back to being the player we know he can be.

He certainly hasn't been as lackadaisical as he was at times last season and hasn't made the same mistakes he was making last season. 

I agree he's been decent this year but think he still makes too many mistakes in dangerous areas. He's similar to O'Ware in that respect and I think they both could be doing with a Gunning type of player next to them to keep on top of them during games.

Archived