Duffy On Cathro - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Duffy On Cathro

TRVMP

Actually a fair-minded piece, this:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/271929/take-it-from-me-ian-cathro-you-wont-know-all-the-answers-just-dont-be-afraid-to-ask/

Some of the stuff about Cathro has been absolutely embarrassing but Duffy has hit a good middle ground here. He's pointing out that as a young manager, even one with a pro career, he didn't have all the answers when he first started out. (Whereas the likes of Kris Boyd are just sneering at him.)

EOho8Pw.png

Duffy is on Super Scoreboard this evening. If anyone is brave enough to not only listen, but ask Duffy if there's any danger of Gunning signing a new deal that'd be smashing.

Someone said on P&B that Gunning said he was staying with us at the Beith game. Could be bullshit of course.

Someone said on P&B that Gunning said he was staying with us at the Beith game. Could be bulls*** of course.

Even if someone did hear Gunning say that is he going to say anything else?

Naw mate, tbh I'd rather play for Hamilton or Partick so first chance I get, y'know?

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Imagine a football team appointing a young coach who has never played at a high level to be their manager, whatever will we come up with next. I mean it's not like anyone has ever tried that before...

Was thinking the other day that Cathro's story (and reported methodology) reminds me a bit of AVB. In fact, with a beard he'd look a bit like him too.

Imagine a football team appointing a young coach who has never played at a high level to be their manager, whatever will we come up with next. I mean it's not like anyone has ever tried that before...

Was thinking the other day that Cathro's story (and reported methodology) reminds me a bit of AVB. In fact, with a beard he'd look a bit like him too.

There are others, too, Arrigo Sacchi, Gregorio Manzano, and while it isn't as high a level, FC Dallas had the peerlessly-named Schellas Hyndman in charge for a few years and he barely kicked a ball professionally in his life.

That said, I do think there's some merit to what Cathro's detractors are saying. Rightly or wrongly, some players are going to be difficult to manage unless you can stamp your authority on them, and one way of doing that is by being a guy who's played at the top level. Now, even then it's hardly failsafe. John Collins at Hibs is an excellent example - easily one of the best Scottish players of his generation, and extremely fit and athletic to this day, but his players didn't want to know.

For me the appointment of Cathro is a forward-looking one, but that doesn't mean that there aren't potential pitfalls. The issue I have (and I think a lot of people feel the same way) isn't so much that some people are pointing out these pitfalls, but rather when the likes of Kris Boyd do it, it's extremely personal in its nature and comes across as hugely jealous. Boyd's line about Cathro looking forward to FIFA 17 was not only shit bants but also quite below the belt - he'd never say that in a paper about one of the ex-pro boys' club, but he feels he can get away with it with Cathro. I hope Hearts put eight or nine past Kilmarnock next time they play.

EOho8Pw.png

Sir Gavin's antics on Saturday were absolutely outstanding.

He ran past the goal on the way to the changing rooms saying something along the lines of "this is the best game i've ever been involved in and I haven't even played" with a big grin on his face. He's one of us  :thumbup2:

It's embarrassing stuff. It's not that Boyd has an opinion, it's that his opinion is that of a complete arsehole.

EOho8Pw.png

He ran past the goal on the way to the changing rooms saying something along the lines of "this is the best game i've ever been involved in and I haven't even played" with a big grin on his face. He's one of us  :thumbup2:

Arise Sir Gavin, he's one of our own.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived