The State Of Cappielow. - Page 17 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The State Of Cappielow.

kenton

The major obstacle to this isn't the Raes (who I believe we're quite far down the road at one point with Riverside Inverclyde before that group's problems) but finance. To build anew we'd need £8-10m, which is not just beyond the Raes but beyond any likely owner. The sale of Cappielow and the car park might help, but I have my doubts as to how valuable that land is, particularly as those who would look to develop it would run into issues with network rail (a reason why we can't make significant improvements on the main stand side) and Arnold Clark and with the costs of preparing the land for development (with land that's ready to build on ready to go and available at Port Glasgow and IBM). It's not impossible, of course, that circumstances could change.

Back in the day of building new stadiums there was a grant available, can't remember who from. Is that, or similar, still available?

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in the day of building new stadiums there was a grant available, can't remember who from. Is that, or similar, still available?

There would certainly be the potential for grants that would be available as part of the project, but nothing that would get remotely near the core costs of building a new ground.

I was also wondering what kind of stadium would suit Morton at this current time.  Now this is obviously not possible under the current owners but a slightly less extravagant version of Man City's Academy stadium would be ideal imo.

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/the-club/city-football-academy/academy-stadium

Certainly if we were building a new one, having two stands and two terraces would be the way to go. I'd switch that design so we had one of each behind the goals and one of each running along the touchline rather than only having terracing behind the goals though.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

I don't think there's a specific grant to help elite clubs build stadia. But as SpoonTon said there could be grant funding available from various places that might help towards, but get nowhere near, the total cost of a new build project.

Dumbarton's main stand, Somerset's behind the goals and our own Cowshed.

Job's a good'un. :)

Not Somerset - poor view from behind the goals owing to it being not very steep.

I'd prefer the covered terracing behind the goal that Queen of the South have.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

There would certainly be the potential for grants that would be available as part of the project, but nothing that would get remotely near the core costs of building a new ground.

I don't think there's a specific grant to help elite clubs build stadia. But as SpoonTon said there could be grant funding available from various places that might help towards, but get nowhere near, the total cost of a new build project.

That's where I was going with it. If any project was backed up with sport grants of sorts, that could possibly be what convinces other outside investment. 

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

I was intrigued by an article in the Herald yesterday about Judy Murray's plans for a tennis/golf facility near Dunblane - which was to be funded by building and selling luxury houses, and which was also claimed to be sufficiently sustainable funding-wise to make it affordable for users on low incomes.

Now given that if I read Nacho's reply to my query about costs correctly it excluded land (or at least that land was available very cheaply in the St Mirren example he used), then we could actually need £15-20 million for a new site.  Could you help fund that with housing, and if so how much profit could you make on a house?

Just playing with some figures, if you sell 100 houses on the site at £500,000 a pop then a profit margin of 30% might generate enough to pay for the stadium?  The Raes can then sell the existing site and recoup whatever money they've spent on the club (if that's what they want).

So could some enterprising local company come up with a scheme that developed part of the IBM site in a way that generated enough funds to pay for a stadium?  And could you make that site multi-functional at least sport-wise, so that its not just in use 20 Saturdays a year?

Not Somerset - poor view from behind the goals owing to it being not very steep.

I'd prefer the covered terracing behind the goal that Queen of the South have.

I've never watched from behind the goals at Somerset or even been to Palmerston, so I'll give you that one.

Now, what about the pies? Forfar..

There is no way that you could sell 100 houses on the land given the area that is in between. 500K new builds are found towards the South West of Inverclyde. I am sure the new builds behind Cappielow were built for around 70K and maybe sold (for those that were sold) for £100K+ plus there is a pending application for housing in the former Cragieknowes area. 

WHEREVER IT TAKES US- WHATEVER IT TAKES

I was intrigued by an article in the Herald yesterday about Judy Murray's plans for a tennis/golf facility near Dunblane - which was to be funded by building and selling luxury houses, and which was also claimed to be sufficiently sustainable funding-wise to make it affordable for users on low incomes.

Now given that if I read Nacho's reply to my query about costs correctly it excluded land (or at least that land was available very cheaply in the St Mirren example he used), then we could actually need £15-20 million for a new site.  Could you help fund that with housing, and if so how much profit could you make on a house?

Just playing with some figquote if you sell 100 houses on the site at £500,000 a pop then a profit margin of 30% might generate enough to pay for the stadium?  The Raes can then sell the existing site and recoup whatever money they've spent on the club (if that's what they want).

So could some enterprising local company come up with a scheme that developed part of the IBM site in a way that generated enough funds to pay for a stadium?  And could you make that site multi-functional at least sport-wise, so that its not just in use 20 Saturdays a year?

The bit in bold, I read in work today and was knotting myself with laughter. Several hours later, its still hilarious :lol:

*insert signature here*

• 2 weeks later...

Thank **** for that! Any ideas about the first part of main stand and the wall?

Under the bin-bag like material that was covering it on saturday was some falsework in place - i assume forming part of a rebuild. Plus, i seen joiners in at Cappielow during the week. Can only assume work is being done on it just now. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Archived