The State Of Cappielow. - Page 15 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The State Of Cappielow.

kenton

Well, if your not witnessing what was mentioned I can only assume you are at another part of the ground!

There are lights and pipes hanging with old rope, when there is a reasonable crowd in it is a nightmare leaving the cowshed due to the crush, due to the small steps in there also one nudge from the back when there is a goal/incident then it has a domino impact....of course, you will have seen none of this from the centre stand fungi growing allotments

Some parts of Cappielow aren't great but that is no different from any other busy ground in the world.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any move to IBM (if it were to happen) would surely have to be part of a larger commercial plan rather than just a stadium out there. I've been running down there a few times and I forgot just how big it was. Say it was to be part of some sort of commercial retail centre, can Inverclyde really have room for a 2nd one given there is one in Port Glasgow and given the amount of funding put into the retail park I doubt Planners would give it the green light. Also about selling Cappielow for housing is unlikely to happen given that the A8 corrider is more about retail business than residential properties. My view is that Morton either had to be at that table 10 years ago and be part of the plan rather than coming now when its well underway (irrespective of how good the plan is).

WHEREVER IT TAKES US- WHATEVER IT TAKES

Who would buy cappielow?

Arnold Clark ain't gonna sell the land they have nor are they going to look to shell out on extra land given the large swathe they already have.

The area itself isn't particularly conducive to housing and given there is a retail park along the road which has been struggling to get plots filled for eight years I don't see how that would work.

St Mitten were fortunate to be able to sell to a supermarket who then sold on. I just can't see that happening here.

It may be that the Raes do not want to upgrade since they are looking to move?

Clutching at straws I know.

Anyone who thinks Morton will build a new stadium anywhere in the area while the Raes still have their hobby must be smoking crack.

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

I'd imagine the IBM site would be expensive to buy then make ready for building so it's probably out of Morton's reach. Although a new stadium would bring in more money from non football type stuff the likely costs there would mean we'd be paying it off for years and there is a good chance we'd end up like an Airdrie or Livi with constant money problems and/ or becoming part time.

Personally I think the best option at the moment is trying to make use of what we have whether that be using the car park, taking over the Norseman site or whatever. Not ideal but like LAS said we've probably missed the boat on all the development in that part of Greenock so would struggle to sell and struggle to buy.

I think the best thing would be to sell the car park and cappielow and use that cash for a new ground. With th redevelopment we never know what is available.

The Raes won't do it though.

I think they would do it if they could - why wouldn't they if there was no or little net cost and more money coming in?

The problem is who would buy both bits of land? That area of Sinclair Street is classed as a deprived postcode so housing developers aren't going to be that interested, there is a retail park in the Port with better transport links (plus the big shops near the bullring in Greenock) while the car park (I think) needs a lot of work to remove contamination done because of what the land was build on.

There was a lot of money being spend along that bit of road years ago and things could have changed then but nothing was done so the options are either to spend millions at a huge risk on a new stadium or develop what we have over time but that is going to need money raised somehow (or investment by the oweners) so it's not that likely to happen.

Valley park or whatever IBM was rebranded has planning permission granted for a retail park. Asda, retail outlet and housing/stadium would be good use of the resource.

It may have planning permission for a retail park but where does a football stadium come into it? Whilst I know its all down to intereptation here is a statement in the Local Development plan back in 2011:

3.9 A mix of uses over the entire site reflecting the proposed prison at the former Greenock High School and Glenburn School site, as well as the proposed uses recommended by the representatives of the two main owners of the site, should be identified in the new Local Development Plan. The following specific uses would therefore be considered to be acceptable at Spango Valley:

Prison

Business and industrial uses

Commercial uses to support residential and business uses

Affordable residential development

I've had a look at the Local Area Plan which is a long term report into development and whilst I see development wanting to happen especially at Spango Valley I've yet to see "new stadium for Morton" anywhere in that document- the fact is we (the fans) can want a new stadium or an impressive rebuild at Cappielow the current Directors couldnt afford it and as such would not want to enter into any formal discussions over a move.

WHEREVER IT TAKES US- WHATEVER IT TAKES

I think they would do it if they could - why wouldn't they if there was no or little net cost and more money coming in?

The problem is who would buy both bits of land? That area of Sinclair Street is classed as a deprived postcode so housing developers aren't going to be that interested, there is a retail park in the Port with better transport links (plus the big shops near the bullring in Greenock) while the car park (I think) needs a lot of work to remove contamination done because of what the land was build on.

There was a lot of money being spend along that bit of road years ago and things could have changed then but nothing was done so the options are either to spend millions at a huge risk on a new stadium or develop what we have over time but that is going to need money raised somehow (or investment by the oweners) so it's not that likely to happen.

Sell both pieces of land separate. Itchy not work with regeneration, riverclyde homes etx to see if there is scope for them purchasing some of the land, would Asda be interested? Sainsbury again? What about another company?

Cappielow is barely fit for purpose just now. God knows how it will be in 10-15 years

It may have planning permission for a retail park but where does a football stadium come into it? Whilst I know its all down to intereptation here is a statement in the Local Development plan back in 2011:

I've had a look at the Local Area Plan which is a long term report into development and whilst I see development wanting to happen especially at Spango Valley I've yet to see "new stadium for Morton" anywhere in that document- the fact is we (the fans) can want a new stadium or an impressive rebuild at Cappielow the current Directors couldnt afford it and as such would not want to enter into any formal discussions over a move.

Obviously we would need to be looking for a piece of land then seek permission but it would appear to be a good location out there.

If we had a stadium with a gym and astronoark we could make money off it is a good location with inverkip folk, people from that end of Greenock etx

But, won't happen under Rae and whilst we are dross.

It's all massively ambitious and would take a huge amount of effort so obviously the Raes aren't going to do it, but in the hypothetical example that this ever happened I think we'd need to have very modest expectations. The last thing we want is another Airdrie with a stadium far, far too big for our needs (Darlington would be an even more extreme example). Instead what you want is to start small with room for expansion. Not Dumbarton small, but there's realistically no reason for a capacity over 5,000 at Morton and we could in all likelihood start with even less than that.

What I think there is room for in British, much less Scottish football is a creative, but cheap and compact stadium design. Virtually all new-builds below EPL level look the same. It's time for something new. I'm not drawing a comparison here but baseball grounds were revolutionized in the early 90s by Camden Yards in Baltimore, which are retro in look but modern in facilities. Is that possible in football? I don't know. That's for an architect to figure out. But I think there has to be a balance between low cost and small size on one hand, and something creative and attractive on the other. Not just another New Bayview.

EOho8Pw.png

It's all massively ambitious and would take a huge amount of effort so obviously the Raes aren't going to do it, but in the hypothetical example that this ever happened I think we'd need to have very modest expectations. The last thing we want is another Airdrie with a stadium far, far too big for our needs (Darlington would be an even more extreme example). Instead what you want is to start small with room for expansion. Not Dumbarton small, but there's realistically no reason for a capacity over 5,000 at Morton and we could in all likelihood start with even less than that.

What I think there is room for in British, much less Scottish football is a creative, but cheap and compact stadium design. Virtually all new-builds below EPL level look the same. It's time for something new. I'm not drawing a comparison here but baseball grounds were revolutionized in the early 90s by Camden Yards in Baltimore, which are retro in look but modern in facilities. Is that possible in football? I don't know. That's for an architect to figure out. But I think there has to be a balance between low cost and small size on one hand, and something creative and attractive on the other. Not just another New Bayview.

Now that terracing is allowed again there isn't the need to feel so restricted by the capacity of a new ground. There wouldn't need to be another stadium like at Airdrie or Livi because clubs would be able to be more flexible with the construction of the ground.

Scottish football grounds could have looked very different if those at the top hadn't felt the need to impose such ridiculous stadium rules.

Archived